FWC Game/Sportfish hearing on now

"If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse

Replies

• CCA supported both designations.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Despite CCA and BTT (Adam's) plea for establishing both designations, the commission voted to table the acton to their April meeting April.

CCA has been curiously quiet on this issue but it does not surprise me, as their catch and release members are strong supporters of Bonefish and Tarpon Trust, which is and has been driving this initiative.

The best thing they could have done was to take no position on the issue, but to support BTT in this end run around species specific regulations with these bogus designations makes me question my continued support.

Thanks to Denny's FRA and FGA for insitsting that science drive policy.

• Chester BrewerChester Brewer Posts: 171 Officer
    Gary,
    Who supported both? My understanding is that the Florida CCA Board voted to not support "Sport Fish" mainly due to the Permit issue. CCA did not support no take on Permit and if someone purporting to represent CCA "pleaded" for establishing both designations; I would like to know who that was. I can promise you that BTT does not control CCA Fl. Chester Brewer
  • You didnt listen to the hearng today Chester?

Your (my) guy spent thirty seconds saying that CCA debated the issue and resloved to suporting both designations.

You are a good man, Chester. And this was a loser issue to go with Adams on.

My membership is up in March. I usually renew at the Naples banquet (which I've attended for 10 years), but this may cause me sit this one out.

You guys need to cut those strings to BTT right now.

Gary, please send me a message and let me know who spoke in this way. Yes there was a lot of debate (a good thing) but I am sure the board did not vote to support "sport fish" as set forth. No, I did not listen to the meeting as I had depositions most of the day and I am still puking after listening to the Gulf Council meeting. Chester
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Gary, please send me a message and let me know who spoke in this way. Yes there was a lot of debate (a good thing) but I am sure the board did not vote to support "sport fish" as set forth. No, I did not listen to the meeting as I had depositions most of the day and I am still puking after listening to the Gulf Council meeting. Chester

I would like to know too...I started listening right after the CCA speaker and didn't hear, but would be curious (particularly since I just agreed (albeit somewhat reluctantly) to continue our annual 10-top table at the banquet). Also, Gary, the feed was going in and out, but I could have sworn that FGA fully supported both designations.

Lastly, although I didn't hear each and every word of the motion, I believe that what is coming back in April is really a specific proposed rule(s) relating only to bonefish and tarpon. In my opinion, Commissioner Barco said it best when she noted that the fisheries are public resources and basically expressed her viewpoint that the FWC's role is to manage for abundance, but once they get there, its not really their job to make moral/policy decisions as to who gets to keep which fish.
  • Charles, mine was intermittent too.

Dave Markett for FGA, asked for science prior to rule making . He said that the game fish designation as written may not be a bad idea, but opposed the sportfish category.

Barco made a very good point.

• EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Chester you always seem to make sense, are very up on all the lastest BUT somehow and this is not the first time you come here bewildered. You seem to be in "The Loop" and state the CCA position - until you don't, then seem as bewildered as we are that somebody from CCA actually stood up and said that. I don't doubt your honesty or integrity for a minute or Gary wouldn't talk to you - he's like that - but **** you seem to be blind sided way too often and i'm sorry for that. For some time now they seem to be on the wrong side too many times.
    I know there are alot of supporters on here that have been behind them many years - but if your losing Gary - you have major problems my friend and it may be time to turn the page for you too.

The darkside isn't that bad - honest
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • From FRA:

Sportfish/gamefish status in Florida

There was a move by a small group of individuals to force a framework into Florida's fisheries management process which would have allow the classification, one by time consuming one of fisheries into a non-consumptive (ZERO TAKE, catch and release only) fisheries without any evidence of biological need whatsoever. With nifty titles such as the Sportfish and Gamefish, these designations would have provided additional restrictions on fishing opportunity and consumptive fishing with no biological need whatsoever. This would come at the cost of many for the benefit of very few. Fortunately, there were many parties involved in opposition. Oddly enough, all of them were directly associated or aligned with the Fishing Rights Alliance. The FRA was the only group who outright opposed all of the classifications. We opposed them on the basis of a lack of biological need and the potential to reduce our fishing opportunities at the whim of a few commissioners.

Public input on this issue saw 13 speakers oppose all status and seven speakers support some or all of the status concepts. The 13 opposing speakers made valid points and suggested that if there was any status at all given, it should be in name only. After public input, Commissioner Wright began with a 10 minute rebuttal to every objection presented by the speakers. Commissioner Wright was wholly in support of this concept in its entirety. Thankfully, other commissioners understood the larger picture and the implications to our fisheries. After four commissioners expressed their opposition to any of the framework, Commissioner Wright wisely capitulated to the majority and the commission voted unanimously to direct staff to look at just giving a name status name bonefish and tarpon. There is no legal framework attached. This Commission truly expressed the will of the majority of the stakeholders and state of Florida. Feel free to send an email of thanks to [email protected].

To all those people who on short notice sent e-mails of concern to the commissioners I say 'nice job!'. You made a difference! To all who showed up and sat in uncomfortable chairs for nearly 8 hours- I am so glad that you were able to participate in the process and have a front row seat for such a positive outcome. To those who may have had time to send an e-mail, but have felt let down by the system and the process lately, this should serve as some encouragement to show you that WE make a difference and we are going to prevail. The cost of freedom is eternal vigilance. We don't just win one or as one and it's over. We will prevail.

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,167 Captain
    Gary, thanks for the update. As you know from my previous remarks I was very, very opposed to this. I've been on the water the last two days out of Flamingo (one more day to go....) or I'd have made the trip to speak in person.

Like you I'm troubled by CCA's actions in this matter. I won't give up on them yet but this sort of action is not why I fund raise and contribute trips to CCA in three different states. I still plan on contributing (and will add Texas, and possibly Alabama this year to the states I'm already donating to). With my vocal opposition I'm surprised that no one spoke to me about this topic from CCA...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • lemaymiami wrote: »
    Gary, thanks for the update. As you know from my previous remarks I was very, very opposed to this. I've been on the water the last two days out of Flamingo (one more day to go....) or I'd have made the trip to speak in person.

Like you I'm troubled by CCA's actions in this matter. I won't give up on them yet but this sort of action is not why I fund raise and contribute trips to CCA in three different states. I still plan on contributing (and will add Texas, and possibly Alabama this year to the states I'm already donating to). With my vocal opposition I'm surprised that no one spoke to me about this topic from CCA...

You do an outstanding job Bob. You are an NGO in yourself.

The CCA presentation at the hearing was shocking. I literally pounded on my desk so hard when I heard it, I knocked my drink over.

Chester indicates that he was surprised by the CCA support also. Maybe he can get to the bottom of it.

Bob, I hesitate to post but I think both you and Gary deserve a response. I am also very concerned about what has occurred. I spoke with Gary about it today. I'll not air dirty laundry. I will be happy to speak with you personally. Sorry to begin so many sentences with "I". Chester
    You do an outstanding job Bob. You are an NGO in yourself.

The CCA presentation at the hearing was shocking. I literally pounded on my desk so hard when I heard it, I knocked my drink over.

Chester indicates that he was surprised by the CCA support also. Maybe he can get to the bottom of it.

Now thats some serious chit right there - drink spilling is so appalling
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 804 Officer
    FRA will get whatever money I would send to the CCA.
    Gary, we spoke last October and you convinced me to stick with CCA but I just can't do it. From Geiger to now supporting elitist **** like BTT. Done
    Viva Le FRA!
  • WaterDamageWaterDamage Posts: 49 Deckhand
    CCA supported Amendment 14 MPA's down the East coast.
    CCA supported Amendment 16 red snapper closure.
    CCA supported additional snook closure.

...and you are surprised now? CCA has been consistent for a long time.
  • :huh I don't recall an RFA representative at the hearing on the FRA feed?

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,489 Admiral
    Bob, I hesitate to post but I think both you and Gary deserve a response. I am also very concerned about what has occurred. I spoke with Gary about it today. I'll not air dirty laundry. I will be happy to speak with you personally. Sorry to begin so many sentences with "I". Chester
    Snortle....
    Eff Joe Lunchbucket!!

I I I/ WE WE WE are an elitist bunch! Eff Joe Lunchbucket and the sweaty masses, let them eat cake, NOT OUR FISH!!!

Chester, waiting with baited breath for the spin.... ya know it's a coming.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • WaterDamageWaterDamage Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Not sure if there were any, which is much better than showing up, supposedly on behalf of recreational fishermen, to support this garbage.

This is nothing new and the only explanation for surprise is a lack of attention (or total denial) over the past 5 years.

Good on Denny and FRA here.

If only we could win more at the federal level.
    ANUMBER1,
    No spin. A mistake was made and steps have been taken to lessen the likely hood that something like this will happen again. If the issue of "sport fish" comes up again (and I hope it will not); I predict CCA's position will be different. Chester
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,489 Admiral
    Getting dizzy now.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • STRIPED MULLETSTRIPED MULLET Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I attended the meeting and was the first public speaker after the staff's presentation. According to my scratch notes it was Jim Williams who spoke on behalf of the CCA, which supported both designations in that they added an "extra layer to manage for abundance". FGA (P. Kelly) was in favor of game fish, was on the fence for sport fish.

Barco nailed it when she said, "it's not the commission's role to arbitrarily designate more rules".

The state's spearfishermen put the nail in the coffin for these bogus designations.
    I attended the meeting and was the first public speaker after the staff's presentation. According to my scratch notes it was Jim Williams who spoke on behalf of the CCA, which supported both designations in that they added an "extra layer to manage for abundance". FGA (P. Kelly) was in favor of game fish, was on the fence for sport fish.

Barco nailed it when she said, "it's not the commission's role to arbitrarily designate more rules".

The state's spearfishermen put the nail in the coffin for these bogus designations.

Good deal. F CCA.
    I think I've heard this same story before - I can't believe someone from CCA said that (asks who) - I'll get to the bottom of it and then we get the old it won't happen again - until the next major issue.

Somebody is getting played like a cheap fiddle - its either Chester or its us
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,062 AG
    I think I've heard this same story before - I can't believe someone from CCA said that (asks who) - I'll get to the bottom of it and then we get the old it won't happen again - until the next major issue.

Sounds like some of our early Grouper battles.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

Yep, back to Geiger days.
    Yep that was one but the EC closure was another - the problem is once its said its said - they can't take it back I don't care how off base some rogue CCA spokesman was, personally I'm pretty tired of it and it appears we are the cheap fiddle
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,724 AG
    So someone from CCA stood up and supported this and was supposed to oppose it? Is that what your saying Chester?
    Who was it that spoke for CCA?
    I feel like I'm being spoon fed a crock...................again.
    Either that or CCA has some very serious issues.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    MS,
    This was a serious issue and steps have been taken so that this confusion, hopefully, will not happen again. The person who spoke (reluctantly) was Jim Williams, the incoming chairman of CCA FL. At the last meeting I attended the decision was made to support "gamefish" with some reservations and to not support "sportfish". I was as shocked as Gary at the change. Apparently a small group caved to heavy pressure from a FWC member. Chester
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,724 AG
    As "incoming chairman" I would think he would have his s**t together, at least I would hope so.
    My .02
    Does he have any ties to BTT?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • MS,
    This was a serious issue and steps have been taken so that this confusion, hopefully, will not happen again. The person who spoke (reluctantly) was Jim Williams, the incoming chairman of CCA FL. At the last meeting I attended the decision was made to support "gamefish" with some reservations and to not support "sportfish". I was as shocked as Gary at the change. Apparently a small group caved to heavy pressure from a FWC member. Chester

Aren't you supposed to be on a plane to DC for ICCAT? :wink