Nikon D7000

Hello everyone...new to the photography corner and would like to ask a question.

Last night I ordered a Nikon D7000 16.2 MP digital SLR camera with AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR lens.

I take a lot of photos while out scouting during waterfowl and turkey season.I'm not very good at all with a camera and really need to learn how to take quality photos.

To take quality photos of wildlife is there a certain setting I should set the camera too?

Is the lens that is being sent with the camera sufficient to take quality photos out at a distance as I see that a Nikon AF-S 55-300mm zoom lens or a 70-300mm telephoto lens can be ordered.

I do apologize for my ignorance,but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
Ronald Reagan

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    Congrats on choosing Nikon's current top of the line DX format camera. Once you learn a few things you will be quite happy with the results you get out of the camera. I have nearly 60,000 stutter actuations on one. I have a few nit-picks but they are fairly esoteric and beyond the scope of this reply. It is a very balanced camera body, all things considered. I can understand you purchasing one now, they are certainly priced right at the moment.

The 18-200mm is considered an OK lens and is designed as "do all" travel (vacation) lens.

The most recent 70-300 with VR may be hand-holdable at 300mm but lens needs a lot of light.

You will have to keep the ISO (relatively) high, maybe as high as 1200-2000 at the beginning and end of the day (ends of light) or when you are in thick cover.

As with most things there is more than one way to get the shot you desire.

Shoot in "A" choose the widest aperture the lens will let, f/5.6, and choose an ISO that will let the shutter speed stay above 1/1000 sec, to freeze motion.

Alternately,

Shoot in "S", choose the shutter speed you want (1/1250 sec, for example) and let the camera choose the ISO and aperture to match.

Back in the shadows and thick cover, where the light is tricky, you will want to learn to shoot in manual mode, "M". With "M" you choose shutter speed and aperture.

A great excercise is to choose one of the setting modes M, A, S, and chase the kids or dog around the yard changing one parameter.

Say choose "S" at 1/500 sec, take a shot. Choose 1/800 sec take a shot.......choose 1/2000. What changed in the photos?

Choose "A" at f/3.5..............choose "A" AT F/22. What changed in your photos?

It is easy to study these changes once you download to a viewing application, like capture, that came with the camera.

A better application and it includes editing, and is free is Zoner Photo Suite. it may be all you ever need. it is for many people, and is a very competent application.

Once downloaded, there will be a view window (no matter the application you are using) to view the data attached to each photo.

To really know that camera is a big project. Go shoot a bunch, look at them, then come back and ask more questions. There are many people here who know much.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • TurkeymasterTurkeymaster Posts: 210 Officer
    Thank you so much for your help...I will print your reply as this is a excellent learning tool for me.

I can tell even at the age of 49 I have a lot to learn.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
    Ronald Reagan
  • barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
    One great thing about photography is that there is always something new to learn. We are lucky and grateful to those on this forum who are willing to work with us "beginners" and teach us a few tricks. I just learned something from the post by WaterEngineer in this thread that I plan on using later today. I have been trying for three years to get better at photography and still am not bored. The best advice I could give as a beginner is to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Then take a look at what you shot and what the settings were and what time of day it was along with the lighting available. Take a few notes and go out and shoot some more. Thanks to digital photography we all can now shoot as much as we want. Good luck and enjoy that great Nikon.
    East Coast Florida
    Thank you and that is excellent advise.

I look forward to posting some photos and have the members here give me some pointers of how to improve.
    Ronald Reagan
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    That's a fine camera, I have one myself. The advice provided already is excellent. One other suggestion I will make is that you should spend a fair amount of time reading the manual and reviewing some of the youtube videos. The d7000 is a very feature rich camera and there are many, many menu options to learn.

If you wonder if the chinese knock off remote controls you see so cheap on eBay work I can say that at least the one I bought does. The real thing from Nikon is pretty affordable anyway if you are concerned.
    Thanks Chuck as I'm interested in the remote.
    Ronald Reagan