Golden Tile Posts in Fishing Reports

Looks to me like we are off to a great tile season with some awesome catches coming in from Jupiter North, and a few good reports from Miami area.

I wonder how that affects our very small recreational limit on Golden Tiles which is 1,578 fish per season. My concern, is, "does SAFMC use any anecdotal evidence like forum reports to count fish?"

Something to be concerned with I am sure. With only 1578 between all of us, its does not take long to fill that TAC. Last year we were shut down early due to excessive landings in 2010 and 2011.

It will be interesting to watch. I do know that HMS division always used to watch our swordfish posts to look for compliance with reporting requirements, just no direct information on how SAFMC does it.

Replies

• WaterDamageWaterDamage Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Will be just like last year - shut down in a month or so for commercial, a bit later for recs.

97% of the TAC allocation is for commercials, and 3% for recreationals. And when the TAC was reduced several years ago, they whacked recs far more than commercials, with an 80% reduction. Now the stocks increase and we still have just one fish, for a few months a year.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,579 Captain
    I won't post any deep dropping reports on a Public forum anymore. Sad, but that is the way it has to be.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 373 Moderator
    We've been harping on this point for a few years in FS Magazine (most recently in the January issue). The rec allocation of tilefish is pitifully small and it's based on historical usage and the unspoken, anachronistic underlying assumption that commercial landings of tilefish are more valuable than recreational.

The very fact that people are posting photos of their tiny bag limit of tilefish indicates a willingness among the public to spend considerable resources catching these fish, which at some point will/should prompt an economic analysis much like the one Southwick & Associates performed for Gulf of Mexico grouper, where it was clearly shown that recreational fishermen spend more per pound of grouper than the commercial sector. (I wish I had committed the figures to memory--would have to dig in my files.)

Tilefish is ripe for reallocation, same for snowy grouper, wreckfish and any of these species which recreational fishing gear and interest has reached a level where enjoyment of the marine resource is available to many.

I hope to see deepdrop reports on the confidence that one day someone in my position will use these to defend or hopefully advance a recreational stake in the fishery.
    Jeff Weakley
  • Jeff,

Of course you are right!

I just wonder how they come up with the closure date each year. It is crazy that we only have 1578 fish for all the recs, and we have boats bringing in 20,000 lb trips. That number was given to me by a local fish monger who is in the know.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    FS Jeff wrote: »
    Tilefish is ripe for reallocation, same for snowy grouper, wreckfish and any of these species which recreational fishing gear and interest has reached a level where enjoyment of the marine resource is available to many.

I hope to see deepdrop reports on the confidence that one day someone in my position will use these to defend or hopefully advance a recreational stake in the fishery.

Jeff... This is something that I try to and push at every opportunity with SAFMC and both the AP and Council level. Until we get more of the Rec fishermen involved with submitting statements to SAFMC, you'll most likely never see the Rec ACL increase.

We were left out of a "Golden" opportunity with the last SEDAR assement of GTs, in which the total ACL was increased, but the rec sector didn't see an appreciable change.

The GT issue even has the Comms at odds with each other based on gear. The LL fleet always manages to close out the fishing year before it truely begins. This year has been no different. We aren't even 40 days into the "year", and they have already managed to catch most the allocation, and that's based on a large increase in ACL. Fortunately, they caught it in enough time to announce a reduced trip limit. Now we just have to see if the effort is put into it by the comms, so that before the the reduced trip limit...they catch the remaining ACL.

Wreckfish has already had a Rec allocation voted on by the SAFMC. First time in YEARS....and It's a higher allocation than Snowy and Tile.

In a couple of months I'll be taking part in a Snowy Grouper Assessment...so I'll keep you posted on that. :wink

While I do know that the Councils, or at least some of the members (both sides of Fl), do follow the fishing reports on various Forums...I don't know how much weight they are given as far as closures are concerned. They use specific formulas that are based on intercepts from the MRIP staff.

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • WaterDamageWaterDamage Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Thanks for your efforts Rob!

As for reporting on forums, that's a good way to lose your spots, get followed around, etc. No thanks.

And Jeff, the deep droppers were out in force and with high visibility when they were shutting down our fishery back in the 2007-2009 period - SAFMC just did not give a crap. They had their agenda and rammed it down our collective throats. More reporting or council attendence will not change that - been there done that waste of my time to talk to them. Most guys have gone rogue - they no longer have any faith in the system. Cannot say I blame them. SAFMC is a bad joke. Maybe Rob and others like him can turn it around. I'm not holding my breath.
  • broadbill-probroadbill-pro Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Ron here is one for ya from last week out front.

1zluql1.jpg