FWC "sportfish designation" proposal....

lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
Can anyone advise what if anything has occurred regarding this proposal? Seems to have dropped off the radar. Sure hope it's been defeated or at the very least deferred for "further study".....
Tight Lines
Bob LeMay
(954) 435-5666

Replies

• mannn123mannn123 Posts: 126 Deckhand
    It is on the agenda for the next FWC meeting (Feb. 13th and 14th). I have included the link to the staff report, etc. below.

http://myfwc.com/media/2474238/4B1-SaltwaterGameFishSportFishDesignationsPublicHearing.pdf
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Also, I would encourage everyone to comment to the commissioners at least to oppose the "sportfish" designation. I am not clear as to the exact process to designate a fish as a "sportfish", but can only guess that there will be immediate efforts to do so if this passes.

This is really just an example of more regulations where they really are not necessary. How arrogant to say that if a few people (and notice the limited number of stakeholders in the webinar) decide a fish should have "rock star" status, then no one else should be able to harvest one regardless of whether the population is in jeopardy. With all of the other problems we are facing, this is just a horrible idea. If the population is in jeopardy, we have seen that there are ample protections to limit harvest when needed.

With all due respect to each commissioner, the commissioner(s) pushing this rule are doing a great disservice to anglers, sportsmen and women and the state of Florida, all out of deference to a select few who have a notion that our fisheries should cater to a small population of out of state anglers who spend a week or two in our waters (or at least this is my perception of who this effort is geared to satisfy).
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    Thanks for the above links. I'm one of those that participated in the "webinar" and after reading the staff report I find no mention of the substantial disapproval of this proposition that I've heard expressed over and over....

Doesn't look promising for the good guys... I've voiced my disagreement, put it in writing, done everything short of encourage rebellion - and not heard a peep from "staff" or anyone else connected with this farce. Hope others will speak up since on the days listed I'm going to be working on the water and won't be able to attend. I'm very, very disappointed that I haven't heard much from CCA about this proposal at all....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,430 AG
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Thanks for the above links. I'm one of those that participated in the "webinar" and after reading the staff report I find no mention of the substantial disapproval of this proposition that I've heard expressed over and over....

Doesn't look promising for the good guys... I've voiced my disagreement, put it in writing, done everything short of encourage rebellion - and not heard a peep from "staff" or anyone else connected with this farce. Hope others will speak up since on the days listed I'm going to be working on the water and won't be able to attend. I'm very, very disappointed that I haven't heard much from CCA about this proposal at all....

Other than the inshore sein net ban 20 something years ago, the CCA is nothing but a spineless bunch of wimpy bs catch and releasers. Enough is enough. Whose idea is this BS? Filet and release will soon be the prevailing law of the waterways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]