Is SLI or Jupiter inlet better for snook fishing?

I'm heading out Friday and very new to snook fishing. Which inlet should I head to? I'm out of Hobe Sound so the drive time is the same either way.

Any other tips are much appreciated.

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Heck if you're out of HS, head to both!! I think SLI has more myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 789 Officer
    You could walk on the snook behind the "Jettys" Restaurant, never saw so many snook in my life,it is near Jupitor Inlet across from the lighthouse.
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    I know guys that fish for snook out of both inlets and do very well. They will both argue that their inlet is better than the other. I would suggest fishing both and see which one you like better. IMO I do not think you can go wrong either way.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    While I don't really target Snook anymore, except an occasional night time off my dock, or stalking them under lights here in Jupiter if a friend is in town...

I have fished both Inlets (thinking you're strictly talking about fishing the physical inlet) many times, I would say they both have pro's and con's... I believe they tend to stack up thicker in Jupiter, but that can also be a con when there's a lot of boats working that tight area, which for sure will be the case this weekend. If you can catch Jupiter when it's not crowded, the action is non stop and more defined vs. Stuart there's more room, but, the regulars know which area is best, so in some respects, it can be just as tight as Jupiter. Of course outside on outgoing and inside on incoming... Snook are almost always looking into the current. The bigger Snook become scavengers, tend to sit on the bottom, and are somewhat lazy, so they tend to hit dead/cut baits, vs. the younger to slot Snook are more live or lure bait strikers... Use at least a 6 ft fluorocarbon leader... Anchoring skills will be necessary in the Inlets... If you drift fish the inlet, you'll spend most of your time re positioning vs. fishing and you'll get a lot of frowny faces... LOL

Nigh time hitting dock lights they both are great, but Jupiter tends to have less distance between lights and the water tends to be a little less brown... However, the Snook tend to be bigger in Stuart, IMO. There are many large Snook that hang out at the docks at The Square Grouper, but fishing is prohibited. Now that Seasport Marina is 100% torn down, I suspect, for a few months before the docks are installed, you could setup on anchor on an outgoing (anchor West of Jetty's dock, or up current) and free line your baits into the Snook lineup and catch about as many as you would want...

Snook being smart, after one fish is caught, the bite is usually dead for 5-15min, sometimes more, so if you're anchored, you'll likely have to wait a while before your next catch...

Good luck
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Officer
    I fish both inlets and palm beach and they all are just as good. SLI has much more boat traffic, fishing space is limited to 3 or 4 boats on the side that hold the fish on the tide. JI is great but also limited to a handful of boats but also have boat traffic, land based fishermen on the south jetty, and currents much stronger. Palm beach is basically the same as JI. It depends when you go too. I stay away from the boneheads and fish a few honey holes that most go right by without even noticing. Spend time to explore and watch your FishFinder
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    All three are great inlets for snook but Jupiter gets the main nod. Being the first weekend, boat traffic will most likely be heavy on the inlets.
  • jersey stanjersey stan Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Where do you pick up more snook in the SLI in or on the outside ?