Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

02-06 HHSFSSC Seminar on SE FL Coral Reefs

Dear member of the Hollywood Hills Saltwater Science and Fishing Club,
A big thanks to the S FL Fishing Club for inviting us to an excellent talk by Capt Ron Schatman last
month and for inviting us to their 2013 SAILFISH tournament on 02/23. Our next talk is on Feb 6th,
about our local, SE FL coral reef system by Julio Jimenez from the FDEP CRCP. Please email me for
flyers for the sailfish tournament and about our next seminar. As always, the HHSFSSC seminars
are free with free door prizes (thanks to an anonymous donor and STAR BRITE products, see
http://www.starbrite.com/), free up-to-date info about what is biting, and a group of expert fisherman
and scientists to answer your questions. I am very happy to announce the first part of our 2013 schedule
at Boston Johnny's Bar and Grill 2120 N Dixie Hwy, Hollywood, FL 33020. Talks start at 7:30 PM after
a happy hour. Come early for the good food and drink. cheers, O
February 6th:
Julio Jimenez (FL Dept. of Environmental Protection Coral Reef Conservation Program)
"Southeast Florida’s Coral Reefs"

March 6th:
Capt. Peter B Wright (Marlin Magazine) "How to quantify a needed angling skill"

April 3rd:
Dr. Lisa Krimsky (FL Sea Grant) "Hook, Line and Sink 'Em", about the Fish Recompression Project

May 1:
Jessica Adams (Nova SE U Oceanographic Center) "Age and growth of little tunny, blackfin and skipjack tuna"
The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.

Replies

• rodzrodz Posts: 668 Officer
    First, thanks for the effort(over the years) - it's more important than most realize. My next question is . . . since so many could miss this event is there anyway to podcast it for those of us who might not be able to make it?
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 342 Deckhand
    Rodz, thanks for the interesting idea. If I did podcast my club's talk, people would not show up, and I really need a good crowd to justify my free use of the tiki bar at Boston's Johnny's. You all should put in the effort to show up for these free meetings, lots of good info from both the speakers and the audience, free prizes and a great bunch of people. Commute with your fishing buddies and take turns as DD. I drive down to Coral Gables twice a week, with a stop in VA key, from Hollywood and the ride is not that bad. cheers, O
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
    Meeting Tonight! Also, please see the updated speaker list in the first post. cheers, O
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Arthur, very informative as usual! I installed Julio's app this morning & cannot wait to get out on the water to put it to use. I've toyed around with it a bit & can see some of my spots off Hollywood plus some other that I'd like to check out. Can you provide some more info about the program where the students are looking for fish & carcases? Again thanks for putting it together & thanks to your sponsors for the goodies! See you next month.
    Ryan, THANKS! It was good to see U on Wed night. Here is the requested info for fish samples needed by grad students for their research. The club has been helping them out but fishing was slow in Jan. cheers, O

A fishery research group at Nova SE U Oceanographic Center need all of the following species that should be frozen if you can not arrange pick up for fresh samples. ***Please record Date, time, capture location, and contact info for the person donating the specimen(s)*** Please call Dave at 804-854-9030 or email [email protected]

WHOLE SAMPLES: Threadfin herring, Filefish, Barracuda, Flying fish, Lionfish, Lookdowns, Ceros

They are also looking for racks/carcasses (with guts) of the following, especially large fish: Atlantic bonito, Blackfin Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Skipjack, Frigate Mackerel, Tripletail, any Jack species (for example, AJ, Almaco). Finally, they would love small fin clips -- about 1 square inch or so -- from any sailfish, blue marlin, spearfish, or white marlin caught in the Straits.