Private gun sales in FL ?

Larry33843Larry33843 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
Need some advise on how to keep it legal. I'm a FL resident and have a long gun that's for sale, a guy was referred to me, and he wants to buy the gun. He's a WI resident that works here in FL and travels all over the world in his work. I've checked his DL and carry permit to make sure he matches his Id's, but don't really know how to proceed with the sale and keep it completely legal. The gun was purchased from out of state by me through GunBroker and received through FFL, etc.
thanks in advance,
Been on FS Forum for over ten years, just 'cause you start it over three times and call me a Junior don't make it so.

Replies

• irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    As I believe you can only bypass a FFL if both parties are Florida residents with valid Florida id's otherwise you will need a ffl, that's how you got the rifle from another state by FFL transfer.

really? really?
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,561 Captain
    Agree with irish, has to be a Florida to Florida resident to be legal.

But really who's gonna know
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
    Agree with irish, has to be a Florida to Florida resident to be legal.

But really who's gonna know

Lol very true had a very interesting situation couple years back dealing with this.

really? really?
  • CDill9CDill9 Posts: 108 Officer
    Ship it to a FFL that lives in his area.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Out of state residents have to purchase through an FFL. Find a local gunshop that's willing to do the transfer for a reasonable fee and take the firearm and the prospective buyer to them and let them do a worry-free, legal transfer. Who's going to know if you just sell the gun to them direct? Maybe no one, but if it ever does get checked then both of you have committed a federal felony violation of the GCA. If convicted you will go to jail.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    i believe you must own that gun for a year before you can sell it.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,887 Captain
    ^^ not true at all, if you want it to be completely legal and hes not a florida resident you need to do a FFL transfer sometimes it only costs 35$, otherwise sell it and go on with your life
    I am unsure of the owning a firearm for a year

really? really?
  • Larry33843Larry33843 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Not a problem about owning it a year, I've owned it since '04. That one yr. probably is to thwart "gun trafficking". Want to stay completely legal, don't want to jeopardize my carry permit in any way. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Been on FS Forum for over ten years, just 'cause you start it over three times and call me a Junior don't make it so.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,256 Officer
    You do not have to own a gun for a year or even a day before you can resell it. There are no laws restricting private owners from selling their private property unless they're making "frequent and repetitive" sales, in other words, operating a gun business. You CAN be prosecuted for selling a gun to a felon or mental patient who you know to be a felon or mental patient and you may not sell directly to an out-of-state resident. Non-residents must have the firearm (long guns only) transferred through a FFL dealer. Non-residents may only buy handguns in their state of residency, so if you are selling a handgun to a non-resident, the gun must be shipped to a FFL in his state and then transferred to him by the FFL.
  • KillowattKillowatt Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Here's some good info on this.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
  • Pdl9Pdl9 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    anejo22 wrote: »
    i believe you must own that gun for a year before you can sell it.

The one year restriction is for dealers selling guns that they transfer to themselves to then sell as their own personal firearms.
    In other words ffl dealers can't sell firearms that they aquired with their license for themselves for a year.