Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Holiday Park, Tamiami Trail???

Looks like it is going to be blowing this weekend. But I still want to wet a line. I've always wanted to fish the canals in the everglades but... Anyways, I did a few searches and found a few places that seem like good starting points. Holiday Park is one that popped up. I have never been there, but have heard good things about it. Any advice would be great, I was thinking about buying some shiners and worms. Just looking to stretch my local fishing knowledge.
If any forum brother could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Where to go, what to use, etc...
Thanks,
Ed
PS, read you need a orange flag??? Where do I get that?

Replies

• Spotsgonefishn'Spotsgonefishn' Posts: 225 Officer
    Never fished out of Holiday Park but another option is the ramps out Tamaiami Trail. The ones I have used are a few miles past Coopertown and Gator Park. Look for the Value Jet Memorial on the North side of the road (right before the road takes a short jog to the right/North). If I remember correctly there are a few different ramps right in that area. If you plan on going boat-less, what I usually do, you can walk/bike along the levy/canal (L-67 I think) running due south at the same spot. If you are going to do the levy I would plan on walking at least a mile before dropping a line. This will get you past where 95% of the shore bound anglers wander to. I'm not saying you can't catch fish sooner but I've done better further out, plus theres less trash to ruin your view. I've had days on L-67 where we have caught fish on everything in the box and other days when we've been skunked. Water level has a lot to do with it and the lower the better.

Oh-yeah, you can get bait at 4 Corners Gas station on the Trail & Krome Ave and also there is a bait shop at Coopertown but ya might want to check on there hours. Hope this helps and post a report if you go.
    "From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." -St Arnold of Metz
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    there's also Sawgrass park a little further north of Holiday. Less boat traffic there and plenty of fish to go around.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Posts: 223 Deckhand
    Update on fishing trip to Holiday Park. Got to the park around 10am. Was not expecting it to be as crowded as it was. Fishing was slow. Headed south, then turned back towards the park and fished the canal that heads straight north. The water in this canal was around 70 degrees and this was the only place we hooked up. In total caught 5 large mouth bass. All small. We went more to investigate than to actually fish.
    Anyhow, very busy place, not really boat wise, but getting in and out, with so many buses and tourist.
    Take Care
  • hittin'_bottomhittin'_bottom Posts: 178 Officer
    Ditto on Sawgrass Park.

It's narrow in some parts but a great place to fish.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I've upped my standards, now up yours!!!
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    Ditto on Sawgrass Park.

It's narrow in some parts but a great place to fish.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

we're cool.
    friedpeacocks.jpg