Discount coupon for FS Expo

I hope you'll join me and thousands of our fellow anglers, hunters and boats. This weekend you can hold a live Burmese python, win a free 42-inch TV, see seminars on five stages, learn to throw a cast net or fly rod, get great discounts on tackle, boats, accessories and gear for 2013 at the rows and rows of exhibitor booths, and kids win prizes at their own casting pond or in the FWC fish ID contest. It's the Florida Sportsman Expo now in its 21st year, Feb. 2-3 at the Lee Civic Center in Ft. Myers. Get a discount coupon in the Feb. edition of Florida Sportsman now on newsstands or visit www.FloridaSportsman.com/Expo. See you there!

Replies

• Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Thanks Doug!
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
    Get your coupons save a bucks to spend inside..
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,119 Officer
    I've got the weekend off....I'll be there! :crowd
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Stop by and say hi to Luna Sea , I will be at The Boat Place display . Larry look out Mari and boys will be there Sunday , I am sure they will hunt you down :crowd
    Let me bump this back to the top.

Look forward to seeing you there tomorrow!
    Well had a chance meet SW forum members,listen to a couple programs,buy some stuff..Great way to see alot of fishing gear and clothing all in one spot.One more day left..Boy those new cats do look nice from the boat place.
    larrywitt
    I can't wait. Was a great time last year.
  • etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    I was very dissappointed by the show, it was very small and I felt like had relatively little interesting stuff.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,877 Captain
    Great!!! I was thinking about going tomorrow before the Super Bowl but now I'm having second thoughts.
  • HighpocketsHighpockets Posts: 30 Deckhand
    I too was a bit dissapointed by the show. It was pretty small. I admit, I did see a couple decent seminars, and my wife got a cast net lesson. I just don't understand why they have to charge $5 for parking on top of the $8 admission. For my wife and I to attend, with 1 coupon out of my Florida Sportsman, I was out $19 walking in the door. As I left I was wishing I had braved the morning wind and gone fishing instead. So it goes.
    Yeah. The show last year was a disapointment. A bunch of vendors selling the junk. I'm not going this year.
    Never will be a perfect show for everyone. Plenty of people walking out with smiles and hands full of new fishing gear and clothing.Me for one.
    larrywitt
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,119 Officer
    hec ! I Thought it was decent! what did ya expect? although I was hoping to find a chum king to purchase, oh well, I still had a good time
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Mr.SnookMr.Snook NaplesPosts: 90 Greenhorn
    I too was a bit dissapointed by the show. It was pretty small. I admit, I did see a couple decent seminars, and my wife got a cast net lesson. I just don't understand why they have to charge $5 for parking on top of the $8 admission. For my wife and I to attend, with 1 coupon out of my Florida Sportsman, I was out $19 walking in the door. As I left I was wishing I had braved the morning wind and gone fishing instead. So it goes.

Sadly the FS shows have gotten smaller in recent years I would suspect that the poor economy has a lot to do with it. I remember about 10 years ago they a TON of boats both inside and out as well as a bunch of vendors selling anything fishing related you could ever want. I met vendors that traveld from around the state to show off their latest and greatest fishing and boating tools, but the last couple time we went the smaller guys were no longer traveling around the state. The wife and I used to go every single year in fact several years we went both days so we could go to the seminars we missed and we are driving from Naples but we really haven't gone in the last 2 or 3 years just due to the shrinking size of the show and it seems that the vast majority of the seminars are geared towards the snowbird fisherman and novices. We were thinking of going today but judging by the comments perhaps we will just take the kids out on the boat instead. And to be brutally honest I have a new boat that I suspect I'll keep for many years so I'm not in the market for a new one, and I have more tackle, rods, reel & lures than I will more than likely use in my entire lifetime or so my wife tells me.

Anyway I hope if and when this economy turns around that the show grows again but I guess I'll just go try and catch some fish today.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Been working on the boat all weekend, but to be honest I don't know if I would have gone. Last year was a real disappointment for me. Huge lack of venders compared to the years before. I hope to hear some good reviews this year.
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    I thought it was very nice. I enjoyed the seminars and found some good stuff to buy too. It takes a huge effort to put these events together. Thanks, Florida Sportsman...
  • Capt. Gregg McKeeCapt. Gregg McKee Posts: 201 Officer
    I thought the show was a success and enjoyed it as much as I did last year's. The Aeon Marine/Beavertail Skiffs display was constantly busy and the new Strike was a big hit. I'm certain that Will and Liz sold at least three skiffs thanks to the show as well an Aeon 20. It was also great meeting a lot of people who are members of the forum.

Personally, I'd like to see it moved to a different weekend. Superbowl Sunday hurts the attendance. If the numbers were down, keep in mind that the weather and tides were really nice and there was also a gun show in Cape Coral that had several hundred people waiting to get in 30 minutes before the doors opened.

For those who complained about the cost to get in, keep in mind that these things don't happen for free and FS probably has to shell out a decent amount just for insurance alone. I do agree that $5 to park is stupid but this is probably the Lee Civic Center's set rate and there isn't much FS can do to change that. If I'm wrong please let me know. If this price can be brought down or waived entirely, it should be.

I personally had a great time and talked to a lot of nice people. I'll be there again next year.
  • etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    Granted, I have never been to one in Ft myers, I always go to Jacksonville where it makes up most of a much larger convention center.
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 814 Officer
    I want to thank FSDoug for taking the time to mail me a free pass. I have been taking my kids for at least 5-6 years. This time it was just me and my boy and we had a blast. I couldn't get him to leave. We were there 3 hours. I had a nice talk with Mark Sosin, Capt. Larry Finch let my son dig through his fish and bait coolers, people were just plain nice especially to kids. I'm happy to support the show.

Young boats, drool: