Your first bass

How old we're ya when you caught your first bass? I was probably 5 years old. I grew up in a house on the C-100 canal in Miami. I would fish everyday as a kid for brim and bluegill. I would cut up pieces of ball park hotdogs and catch those brim all day long. One day I was reeling in a bluegill when a huge bass grabbed it immediately snapping my line from then on I knew I wanted to catch one of those!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,548 Moderator
    Good question. Hmm , since I was from Key West my first experience in freshwater was along side of the Tamiami trail with my Dad. We had some worms under a bobber and I caught a small bass. That was a LONG time ago. I still remember seeing it jump.
    A good memory.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    I believe about 8 years old for my first Bass, been fishing as far back as I can remember. I actually prefered catfishing back then.
  • Crab BaitCrab Bait Posts: 271 Deckhand
    I was about 6 or 7 and caught it on a rig I made on my creepy crawler molds. It was 3 lbs. I was so excited that I left my pole and tackle box in the parking lot when my mom showed up to get me.
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,259 Officer
    12 yrs old
  • ALLANGTALLANGT Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    8 years old on a beetle spin from a gravel pit in Dallas/Irving, TX.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    9yo black creme double hook worm no clue what I was doing (still don't) tossed it out never moved it 4mins later a 1 pounder hooked himself all I did was reel him in.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    My Father says I was about 4yr ,so roughly 35 years ago.
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Unfortunately, I was 17 when I FINALLY caught my first bass.....my dad is not into fishing (although Ive put him on a ton of bass and some saltwater catfish since) but my mom would take me to a dock on a lake to fish for bluegill. When I was around 13-14 I was over at a friends house that had a large pond in his backyard. We went to his friendly neighbor's backyard that had a dock, and started casting out for bluegill with zebcos/shakespeare wal-mart specials . I caught the biggest fish of my life that day, a 12" shiner (thought it was a carp back then) and we would see a maybe 5lb or so (looked like 10lb back then lol) ambushing the bluegill. When reeling in a bluegill the bass pounced out and englufed it, and it was one heckuva fight! I ran off the dock to try to land it on the bank, and when it was about 10ft off the bank it jumped and spit the bluegill out. doh. Shortly after we were casting our breadout when a sneaky goose that was somehow hiding under the dock jumped out and grabbed my bread. Mayhem ensued, and after wondering how the heck we were going to handle the situation his elderly neighbor came out after hearing all the commotion. He said he could help us, grabbed a short chute of bamboo then grabbed the line close to the goose. He then wacked the line close to the gooses head, and if I remember right broke it off, i dont think the hook popped out. I used to wash fishing shows 24/7 when I was a kid and wanted to catch even a 2lb bass more than anything in the world!!!

After getting a car when I was 17 a friend of mine told me how I could catch bass. His step dad is an avid fisherman, and told me that almost any pond will hold them. I caught my first bass in a small retention pond off a major highway, it was probably 4-5" long on a black worm I believe. I've been hooked ever since
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    RemoteRedsTrout

golden advice back then

thanks for sharing

After getting a car when I was 17 a friend of mine told me how I could catch bass. His step dad is an avid fisherman, and told me that almost any pond will hold them. I caught my first bass in a small retention pond off a major highway, it was probably 4-5" long on a black worm I believe. I've been hooked ever since
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • jbpojbpo Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    I think 11. Caught on a panther martin spinner in Cerrritos California
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I don't exactly remember my first bass, but one shortly after that I'll never forget.

I grew up a few blocks away from the C-9 canal (Snake Creek) in North Miami Beach. I came from a family of golfers, so it was my buddy that got me into fishing when I was about 10-11. Back then my tackle was a Zebco spinning outfit complete with K-mart monofilament. I was using a Manns 6" grape jelly worm with a weedless hook and a few small split shots. Standing on the Miami Gardens Drive bridge I cast parallel to the bank just outside the weedline and started a slow, bottom bouncing retrieve. I don't really remember the strike. All I knew was that I had a hold of something pretty big 'cause unlike the other ones I'd caught, this guy wasn't comin' in. As it makes a run under the bridge and the line starts to rub against the concrete, I hand the pole off to my buddy who was standing on the seawall below. He plays it for a little bit until I make it down there to reclaim my rod and the unknown prize on the end of it.

A few seconds later, materializing from the depths, is the biggest bass by far, my experienced friend has ever seen, let alone myself. This big sow is played out. Too scared to lip her, my buddy grabs the line about a foot from her mouth and attempts to hoist her up on the seawall. She makes it about halfway out of the water when the inevitable happens.

I can still see her slowly fading back into the murk.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • I was a teenager in La. when I first caught a bass. I was hooked immediately.
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 227 Deckhand
    I was 4, fishing with my Old man and Sister in the Poconos, PA. Blue worm, with a bobber, Snoopy pole too. Fish was 3-4 lbs and I still have the pic.
  • DylanLeeDylanLee Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    15years old~~~hehe i began to lure fishing very late