Never Caught a Redfish

I've been fishing for pretty much my whole life. It's only been recently that I got into kayak fishing because of the massive increase in fun-factor. I've never caught a redfish though. It kinda drives me crazy that every time someone posts an inshore report, they have pictures of redfish, and I've never gotten one...ever. It's mostly because of where I live (near Oleta) since there are no redfish around here. Does anyone know the nearest place from me that has a healthy population of reds that I can get to?

Replies

• Kars park the mosquito lagoon
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    better for you to go to flamingo. shorter drive greatt place. snake bite high tide to get up their find the crown of the flat and keep you eye out for tailing reds. either fly, or gilp or doa shrimp or handpicked live shrimp
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • krashkrash Posts: 593 Officer
    Mingo or Choko.. both a drive but both hold plenty of Redfish, same basic time/distance IRL up in Ft. Pierce Round Island park is a good place to hit.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • ElMaskedAsianElMaskedAsian Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Thanks for the help guys. if i'm going that far, it's not gonna be a one day trip. I'm gonna try to stick around for at least two days.
  • DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 581 Officer
    Definitely worth a trip... Catching redfish is like crack... Once you hook into one, its all you'll want to do for quite a while!

Good luck!
  • krashkrash Posts: 593 Officer
    Thanks for the help guys. if i'm going that far, it's not gonna be a one day trip. I'm gonna try to stick around for at least two days.

If you think 2 hours is an outrageous drive then you should give up on inshore fishing in the kayak close to home unless you like Cuda and Trout.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 320 Deckhand
    If you make it to the Mosquito Lagoon you can hit Eddy Creek, but beware that it could end up frustrating you even more. Seems like the fish on the lagoon are spooky most of the time and you can run into big schools of Reds but never hook up. Fishing pressure there is getting ridiculous. Seen boats running full speed right over the flats and right through the middle of the prime fishing spots. Sad but true!
  • rr41magrr41mag Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    You will be hooked when you do catch your first one. I caught one 42" in Louisiana fought him for 30 mins on 10 lb test.