For those of you with sonar...

What have you found is the best way to secure your battery box to the inside of your hull? I've finished installing my sonar and the final step is finding a way to secure the battery box from bouncing around inside my yak. What's an effective way to secure it yet still easy to remove between trips? By the way, I'm using a modified Pelican 1120 case, with a power plug adapter and an on/off switch.

Replies

• CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Some guys like heavy duty velcro...
    ME - I dont use a box....I roll it up in a dry bag and hang it from an S Hook in the gasket of the front hatch. The Ability for it to sway back and forth helps it to not break in the rougher surf. You could always do that with your box....
  • DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 585 Officer
    Cookinman wrote: »
    Some guys like heavy duty velcro...

I'm one of those! Works great for me...
  • chefdtachefdta Posts: 188 Officer
    I epoxied a nylon strap to the hull in one (mixed too much g-flex for another use) and did the heavy duty weatherproof Velcro in another... Both work. The dry bag is a great way too.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    I use heavy duty velcro to secure it on the bottom and then cut a piece of pool noodle a little larger than the space above it and shove it in to secure it from the top. Try not to secure the battery directly on the center of the bottom of the kayak, as they sometimes take on some water. If it's a few inches higher than the low point you have some leeway.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    chefdta wrote: »
    I epoxied a nylon strap to the hull in one (mixed too much g-flex for another use) and did the heavy duty weatherproof Velcro in another... Both work. The dry bag is a great way too.
    Nylon strap like this? By the way this is my buddy's setup, I just wasn't sure if this was the easiest/best way.
  • chefdtachefdta Posts: 188 Officer
    Produkt wrote: »
    Nylon strap like this? By the way this is my buddy's setup, I just wasn't sure if this was the easiest/best way.

Basically. I had left over g-flex so I laid one strap with a buckle in a small puddle of it. Place box on top of strap, wrap strap over it, clip, fish. :)
    The heavy duty Velcro works awesome too. If I had to do it again I'd just go that route.
  • PopflyPopfly Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I keep mine in a Drybag with velcro to keep it from sliding around.

Popfly