Finding Tarpon From Daytona to Satellite Beach?

Anyone know where to find tarpon at this time of the year in the East Central Florida Region? I jumped a couple in the Canaveral Barge canal in october and was thinking of heading out there real early and baiting and waiting. Any suggestions of where to go, what bait to use, what kind of lure or rigging to use, time of day? Anything helps. Thanks Guys

Replies

• Capt BloodCapt Blood Posts: 184 Officer
    Haven't hit it myself yet I would think smaller tarpon would be up estuaries like Turkey Creek this time of year. I've chased those little guys in the fall and they're fun as [email protected], go ballistic when hooked. Though tough to get em to bite artificals, word is live shiners are the ticket but I suspect the gar in Turkey Creek will be all over em too.
    "...forced to become a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice by the government leaders who have forsaken him..." -Rafael Sabatini-
  • Orlando Key LargoOrlando Key Largo Posts: 113 Officer
    Capt Blood wrote: »
    Haven't hit it myself yet I would think smaller tarpon would be up estuaries like Turkey Creek this time of year. I've chased those little guys in the fall and they're fun as [email protected], go ballistic when hooked. Though tough to get em to bite artificals, word is live shiners are the ticket but I suspect the gar in Turkey Creek will be all over em too.

Thanks for the tips. If I'm using live shiners I'm Guessing that means I should be way up the river working the Freshwater?
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,298 Officer
    Sebastian River, North Fork. Live bait.
    Yeah, when I've hooked tarpon in Turkey Creek it's in the reserve west of the the little bridge for port Malabar rd. hear there's a tackle shop just west of there that sells live shiners.
    "...forced to become a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice by the government leaders who have forsaken him..." -Rafael Sabatini-
  • Orlando Key LargoOrlando Key Largo Posts: 113 Officer
    Capt Blood wrote: »
    Yeah, when I've hooked tarpon in Turkey Creek it's in the reserve west of the the little bridge for port Malabar rd. hear there's a tackle shop just west of there that sells live shiners.

Put them under a cork? Freeline them?
    You'll have to learn that one yourself, I'm an artifical guy inshore; got the advice on shiners from a solid source and the counter guy at the oldest tackle shop in Melbourne while buying a new fly rod. Post us with what what you learn first hand.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,738 AG
    fish_stix wrote: »
    Sebastian River, North Fork. Live bait.

South prong too...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you