What do you ue to keep your catch chilled?

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about breaking the kayak out and splitting my water time between that and the boat. I would be chasing reds, trout and snook. What do ya'll use to keep your catch cold?

Thanks!
Catch 'em up!

Nick

Replies

• EdwardHBLWEdwardHBLW Posts: 58 Deckhand
    mapache wrote: »

That. I got one for my birthday and never go out on the yak without it... Keeps food (whether caught, or brought) and drink cold, and straps on nicely to the bow.
    2012 Hobie Outback
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    Nothing like beer with a touch of tuna blood!
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    my favorite by far. i have one that is nearly 2 years old. countless fish and carries food/drinks every trip, and it's still in premier condition.

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com

cheers.
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
    Those Polar Bear bags don't look long enough to hold a medium-sized kingfish.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I have a cooler that fits in my tankwell. I have rod holders attached to it and it works great.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,354 Officer
    Just got an idea
    would be nice if someone invented a round insulated cooler (like the polar bear) that you could squeeze into the front compartment under the hatch with a removable bag, I guess for reds, trout, sheephead etc. Not for offshore species

Or even a triangular one that would stretch to the bow of the kayak under the front hatch. Put some frozen ice blocks in it, open the hatch and drop the fish in. Maybe a velcro closure under the hatch to be able to open and close easily

Just thinking.................................................
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,148 Officer
    The rectangular soft, zippered bags sold at Sams and Walmarts to bring frozen food home are the cheapest and best option.
  • EdwardHBLWEdwardHBLW Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Nothing like beer with a touch of tuna blood!

Not tuna, but yeah I learned to separate the catch from what I bring. What I do is load up the included dry bag with the frozen waters and what I plan to eat or drink on the water, the fish I catch go in the main compartment.
    2012 Hobie Outback
    I don't bring food, but a quick dunking removes most of the tuna blood from your drink can.

The biggest problem with this bag is that the lining is easily punctured by fish spines. I have to patch it with duct tape every time after catching grouper or snapper.
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    Those Polar Bear bags don't look long enough to hold a medium-sized kingfish.

"reds, trout and snook" was the question.
    the polar bear 24 will hold a limit of trout, reds and snook--along with drinks and food. the 48 is as big as a suitcase. probably still not long enough for a 20lb (medium) kingfish. the lining of the polar bear has something like a 75lb puncture rating.
    it's not for everyone, but it is the best bet for some.

cheers.
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    for reds, trout and snook? just get a couple of insulated grocery bags from publix and put some frozen bottles of water in. I usually double bag for a little extra insulation, and at a couple of bucks a bag, you can throw them out when they get too nasty
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif