Freshwater spots?

Hi im in the ft lauderdale area. Anyone know any freshwater spots for bass/bluegill? any spots or tips would be appreciated. Im always looking for fishing buddys!

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,001 Captain
    im not from down there, but i know up here in jacksonville if you can find a pond there is typically fish in them otherwise just find a lake or river and fish the banks especially if theres trees.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    Any lake, canal and pond you can get into has bass and blue gill. They bite almost anything. Very few of them are conditioned since most people focus on salt water fishing.
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    almost everything is saltwater in ft lauderdale. big bluegills in gulf course ponds on inline rooster tails
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    Any where you see water there are fish to be caught. For fresh water drive around and make note of water you can see, followup with Google Earth and see if you can find an entry point where you car will not be towed and you can walk the banks. All of the C-xx canals hold fish and anywhere west of say the Turnpike is likely fresh water, these canals can be walked for miles in any spots.
    The local parks, Markham, Tradewinds, CB Smith.. have good size lakes that hold fish also.

Just be aware the non-public spots can be fished ninja style but if you get your car towed don't whine and complain its part of the game.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Legal public access spots are somewhat limited. The canal that runs along Griffin Road from 441 to Everglades Holiday Park is accessible by foot, as is much of the canal near Atlantic Ave. These areas will have peacock bass and snakeheads too. For kayak accessible freshwater spots, try Veterans Memorial park on Rock Island Rd just south of Atlantic Blvd, Everglades Holiday Park at the west end of Griffin Rd, Markham Park (Take 595/I-75 and take exit 1 to 84) or various boat ramps on I-75 past Weston. When fishing in the sawgrass areas, stay in the canals since the airboats can't see you if you venture into the shallows. You may become a speedbump. (12 foot visibility flag is required if you go into the sawgrass)

If you don't mind the drive, Palm Beach has several public, stocked lakes with boat ramps (Ida, Osborne, Mangonia)
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    There are a couple public boat ramps along the C-14 canal, along Atlantic and/or Southgate.
    Markham has a boat ramp, 2 actually, one that give access to the N. New River canal, and one that give access to the canal that runs N/S on the west side of the park. Also I used to take the canoe to Markham and launch in that W-side ramp, padddle across teh canal, hump the canoe/kayak over the **** and drop it inot the sawgrass area commonly called the bombing range (bring safety flag as Bugdoc said) those holes hold some big bass.
    Also Lox area at the end of Lox Road has ramp and a large fishable area right out front.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    bugdoc wrote: »
    Legal public access spots are somewhat limited. The canal that runs along Griffin Road from 441 to Everglades Holiday Park is accessible by foot, as is much of the canal near Atlantic Ave. These areas will have peacock bass and snakeheads too. For kayak accessible freshwater spots, try Veterans Memorial park on Rock Island Rd just south of Atlantic Blvd, Everglades Holiday Park at the west end of Griffin Rd, Markham Park (Take 595/I-75 and take exit 1 to 84) or various boat ramps on I-75 past Weston. When fishing in the sawgrass areas, stay in the canals since the airboats can't see you if you venture into the shallows. You may become a speedbump. (12 foot visibility flag is required if you go into the sawgrass)

If you don't mind the drive, Palm Beach has several public, stocked lakes with boat ramps (Ida, Osborne, Mangonia)

For anyone who is curious. Ida/Osbourne is the southernmost point in the US that hold hybrid bass. I made a trip up there to get one. They're small, but they're in there.
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    not true ive caught them in a lake behind a home depot on pines blvd an hiatus but yes they are small. no clue how they got there as this is a super new lake and someone muust have personally put the in their caught about 5 of them wasnt exactly sure what they where till i looked them up
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • kayak jackkayak jack Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Wow thanks for all the replies. I have a few ideas now. Also any idea where i should go offshore? I launch at the dania peir but i usually just paddle out and have no idea what to do haha. I just randomly cast gotcha lures or shrimp. I havent caught anything...
  • pond725pond725 Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    there are some meetup groups that put out of dania that view this post i'm sure they can help out. as far as naming holiday park to launch a kayak? not the best place 20' canal 250 hp bass boat verses kayak not the best.
  • kayak jackkayak jack Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Thanks man i think im going to start a knew thread on dania now