Chum Question

katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
Hi All. My next door neighbor tells me he, from time to time, throws cans of cat food into the Dania Cutoff Canal during a slack tide in order to bring fish. Has anybody ever done this opposed to putting a block of chum in the water? Did it work for you? My neighbor says some fish come around like sand perch, etc.

Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    Hi All. My next door neighbor tells me he, from time to time, throws cans of cat food into the Dania Cutoff Canal during a slack tide in order to bring fish. Has anybody ever done this opposed to putting a block of chum in the water? Did it work for you? My neighbor says some fish come around like sand perch, etc.

Wouldn't that be considered littering not chumming?
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,010 Officer
    Cat food works well as chum. I carried several cans aboard my boat, for use when fishing shallow reefs. One can dump the food into a fine-mesh chum bag and it will last for awhile, but it still dissipates fairly quickly if there's a current running
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    Wouldn't that be considered littering not chumming?

He throws the food out in the canal not the can. Should have worded different.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    ...during a slack tide in order to bring fish. Has anybody ever done this opposed to putting a block of chum in the water?

Slack tide is not the time to chum because no water movement for the scent to be effective. Canned cat food is good but probably more expensive than a block of chum.
  • wpbthwpbth Posts: 443 Officer
    Probably more economical to throw 2-3 cans of cat food rather than a block of chum. I would think the only problem with it would be certain people (and we all know who they are), may try to scoop up the cat food and eat it.
    :fishing
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Cheap cans of sardines/anchovys work good. Just poke a couple holes in the can, tie some line to the peel ring and lower it down.
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    Cheap cans of sardines/anchovys work good. Just poke a couple holes in the can, tie some line to the peel ring and lower it down.

That sounds like a great idea. Never thought about that one.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 657 Officer
    Buy a bag of cat or dog food at the dollar store or when they are on sale. Add it to your chum bag mixed with the chum block and you just added another 10lbs of chum to your slick :)
  • lonniejlonniej Posts: 150 Deckhand
    Friend of mine lived on the ICW, south of Beach Blvd a ways, mixed cans of cat food with mud, threw mud balls out in the shallows during high tide, caught some nice shrimp and occassional squid that way...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"I fish, therefore I lie"
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Try cans of Jack Mackerel mixed with shredded up bread, bread crumbs, oats or grits, or some combination of all. It makes your chum go further, while adding a nice little cloud, and the chum adheres to the added mixture as well. Just mix it all up and make a sticky paste. You don't want it real runny. I've never used cat food, but heard that it works too.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Reel Tease wrote: »
    Buy a bag of cat or dog food at the dollar store or when they are on sale. Add it to your chum bag mixed with the chum block and you just added another 10lbs of chum to your slick :)
    This^^^ I've used Gravy train in the Keys for yellowtails. Very effective.