an honest lobster report

given that posts in previous years were generally: "limited out in 10 min both days- with 20 people on the boat and a picture of 240 lobster tails"- I am assuming that most people's miniseason was rather tough.

Mine was extremely tough with 6 (between 2 divers) one day and 8 (b/w 3 divers) the next in Biscayne Bay from spots that usually yielded limits in previous years. I am getting good at picking the leg, head and antenna meat. Visibility was terrible but the worse thing was the absence of lobsters right around the legal size or just below. Most lobsters that I did get were rather large and it appears that this 'just legal' size class is absent- like a missing cohort, perhaps due to the cold 2010 winter.

I was wondering if other people observed a similar phenomenon?

seaweasel

Replies

• LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
    SW - we saw basically the same thing and many spots we had scouted were full, but on Wednesday many were missing - they walked. We did get our limit though after many hours of hitting many spots. As you mentioned there were many larger bugs than previous years, and we did find many that were just legal and smaller. What I did notice was a lack of really small bugs that we use to see frequently hanging around the larger ones. My concern is not the freeze, but the lion fish that could be eating the smaller ones. I heard that Divers Unlimited has a smallish sling/spear for lion fish. I'm going to pick one up next week to leave on the boat.

I heard that you can spear the lion fish in the park and elsewhere with no consequences from FWC - does anyone know if that is true?
  • auqaholicauqaholic Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Lobstababe wrote: »
    SW -

I heard that you can spear the lion fish in the park and elsewhere with no consequences from FWC - does anyone know if that is true?

Yup no limit & pretty good too once you get those spines off
  • PropheadProphead Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Got my LF sling at DiversUnlimited on Bird and 57 ave. They have two types, $40 bucks. Shot my first one on Thurs.
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Nice job on those who made it out!!! It was a tough 2 days of buggin, we chose not to tank dive on wed and hit the bay. Wound up with 18 between 3 of us, went out oceanside on thurs and managed another 12!! All in all is wasn't a great mini season, but we got our lobsta fix at least for now!! I wanted to take some food **** pics, but when the lobstas came off the grill they didn't stand a chance for a picture with the heatherns in our crew. Here's the only pic we took...
    miniseason2011.jpg
  • PatchReef1650PatchReef1650 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I will say from personal experience that the lionfish are taking over north biscayne bay well north of the park. I'm talking large 1 to 2 lb fish. This area gets almost no spearfishing pressure,. I've dove the exact same spot three years in a row (3 years ago zero lionfish) (2 years ago zero lionfish)...this year loaded with lionfish. I fear what this will do to the small lobster population.
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Anyone shootin liongish checking out their gut contents? It would be interesting to see what they last ate throughout the year. May even be worth a sticky post if enough people contribute.
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • dusky19dusky19 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I HOPE THEY MAKE A STICKY POST FOR LION FISH INFO. MANY YEARS AGO I REMEMBER PEOPLE WOULD CATCH THEM OFF THE KEY BISCAYNE FISHING PIER AND CUT THE LINE AND LET EM GO. ID LOVE TO BAG N TAG ANY AND EVERYONE I SEE :stinkfish. I ALWAYS GOT A SPEAR WHEN I FREE-DIVE ;) BTW WATCH OUT FOR THE JELLYFISH ON THE OCEANSIDE! ONE GOT ME YESTERDAY! NOT COOL LOL THERE WAS OVER A BILLION PURPLE WEIRD LOOKIN THINGS!

THEY GOT LION FISH DERBY'S. LOOK IT UP

SEMPER FIshing team. :USA
    Miami.
    Dusky 19!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1990 150hp Evinrude XP. 1044 hrs & counting....
    rod & spear fish'n
    let 'em talk, let 'em hate, watch the Dusky navigate.
    :Agree
    Guess we did pretty good then. Got just under 100 but we were down in the keys. coulda got a couple more but the ended up goin to the tiki bar instead. Didnt see any lion fish down there, but I've been seeing em all over the reef off of boca and hillsboro. Don't shoot em because it takes to long to get m off the spear. waste of time, one of those little spears would be a good investment :). my buddy was down in the keys 2 weeks ago and his girl was grabbing sea weed and shaking it out on his deck because she likes all the little sea creatures in there and my buddy told me she was shaking out hundreds of baby lion fish on his deck :/
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    thebeale wrote: »
    Guess we did pretty good then. Got just under 100 but we were down in the keys. coulda got a couple more but the ended up goin to the tiki bar instead. Didnt see any lion fish down there, but I've been seeing em all over the reef off of boca and hillsboro. Don't shoot em because it takes to long to get m off the spear. waste of time, one of those little spears would be a good investment :). my buddy was down in the keys 2 weeks ago and his girl was grabbing sea weed and shaking it out on his deck because she likes all the little sea creatures in there and my buddy told me she was shaking out hundreds of baby lion fish on his deck :/

those were likely sargasso fish

sargass1ot3.jpg
  • luckyduck2luckyduck2 Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Thanks for being Honest
    JOBS,JOBS,JOBS, We need JOBS , I can't afford anymore change, We've had (ENOUGH) MR.obama
    http://www.availableangler.com/
  • sonicsonic Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    This year was one of our best. First day limited out, took us all day and many spots though. Second day took it real easy, got in the water by 10 and out by 2, almost limited out. Saw a few lions, my bother saw one that was a monster. Not as many people out this year, was rough both days, coast guard seemed busy all day, didn't even get checked coming through the cut either day.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    The lobs sure aren't everywhere but we managed our limit of 18 both days. Interesting diving with all the wind and waves.
  • Saltlife27Saltlife27 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Any spots around that I can get to some lobster without a boat? Thought about trying bill baggs park
  • action88action88 Posts: 197 Officer
    Lyn-- i have one of those lion fish 3 prong, hawian sling slyle, works good, I have the short one,40$ or so ar divers direct, we have shot a few lions, hav'nt tried to eat any yet..

lobstering hee in islamorada has been ok, mini season, we did ok limiting out (30) by 1 day 1, and we took it easy on day 2 with 24, the weather sucked, yesterday we got 24 with 4 people, we had to work pretty hard having to goto the tanks and dive the serious current at a bridge pass after lunch to finish up, definitly not like we used to do in maimi with the crazy number we used to put up..

I guess im just getting older and not as greedy.. LOL

I am shocked the the ol spots In N bay didnt hold up like the old days, one of my buddies went to a wreck and he said it was so full there were over 2000 keepers in the wreck, he said that a commercial lobster boat showed up and I am assuming that there are none now...

I miss the bay alot and am planning some trips up that way soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Capt Brian Gwilliam

www.fishingislamoradaflorida.com
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    Saltlife27 wrote: »
    Any spots around that I can get to some lobster without a boat? Thought about trying bill baggs park
    don't get caught...
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Saltlife27 wrote: »

dania off the beach is a good start for boat less peeps.
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• SlinginbaitSlinginbait Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    One thing I noticed this year is that of all the bugs we saw and caught none of them were carring eggs. Anybody else notice this? Might make next season a lot tougher.
    action88 wrote: »
    Lyn-- i have one of those lion fish 3 prong, hawian sling slyle, works good, I have the short one,40$ or so ar divers direct, we have shot a few lions, hav'nt tried to eat any yet..

lobstering hee in islamorada has been ok, mini season, we did ok limiting out (30) by 1 day 1, and we took it easy on day 2 with 24, the weather sucked, yesterday we got 24 with 4 people, we had to work pretty hard having to goto the tanks and dive the serious current at a bridge pass after lunch to finish up, definitly not like we used to do in maimi with the crazy number we used to put up..

I guess im just getting older and not as greedy.. LOL

I am shocked the the ol spots In N bay didnt hold up like the old days, one of my buddies went to a wreck and he said it was so full there were over 2000 keepers in the wreck, he said that a commercial lobster boat showed up and I am assuming that there are none now...

I miss the bay alot and am planning some trips up that way soon.

Brian - we hit it pretty hard that last few days and the commercial guys are back. Let me know when you're back in town - found some new wrecks off Soldiers with plenty!
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    One thing I noticed this year is that of all the bugs we saw and caught none of them were carring eggs. Anybody else notice this? Might make next season a lot tougher.

I ran into some nice lobs with eggs, I think that they are still reproducing nicely.
  • gdholbrookgdholbrook Posts: 480 Deckhand
    Lobstababe wrote: »
    Brian - we hit it pretty hard that last few days and the commercial guys are back. Let me know when you're back in town - found some new wrecks off Soldiers with plenty!

Please pm me the coordinates lol
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I have yet to see a lionfish, but I sure would like to taste them. I hear the trick is to have a cooler with an ice slurry. Dip the fish, still on the spear, and a few minutes you can remove with bare hands, as the slime/poison/toxin is killed.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • sonicsonic Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    lionfish venom is broken down by heat, not cold. That's why its recommended to put the stung area in hot water not cold.
    gdholbrook wrote: »
    Please pm me the coordinates lol

Sure thing!!