Standing rib roast ?

aqua-holicaqua-holic Tampa,FLPosts: 214 Deckhand
Wife is picking up a 5 finger rib roast. Anyone have a good way to cook with a recipe for the horsey sauce to go with it . Thanks and Merry Christmas !

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Replies

• TheCaptainsTableTheCaptainsTable Posts: 557 Officer
    The horsey sauce is just mayo , horseraddish , lemon juice and maybe a splash of milk to loosen it up
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Horsey sauce covered.

Crust: Kosher salt, rosemary, crushed garlid, pepper, parsley, touch of oil.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    You can also make horsey sauce w/ Sour cream and horseradish. Add a little dill and you have Tiger sauce (Outback used to serve it with the ribeyes- went better w/ prime rib though)

cook the roast slow on low heat.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • aqua-holicaqua-holic Tampa,FLPosts: 214 Deckhand
    Ok its a 6lb roast. How do you guys cook it for med rare . Time and temps. I thought about pulling it at 120 and letting it rest for 10 mins. But is it better to cook at 350 or higher.

• The BusinessThe Business Posts: 154 Deckhand
    aqua-holic wrote: »
    Ok its a 6lb roast. How do you guys cook it for med rare . Time and temps. I thought about pulling it at 120 and letting it rest for 10 mins. But is it better to cook at 350 or higher.

I did one on a charcoal grill over indirect heat for about 2 hours I think. It turned out much better than in the oven.

I got the recipe off of Cooks Illustrated.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,869 Moderator
    6 pounds you can still go with whatever the lb/hour recommendation is. I can't remember that ratio is, though.

Once you get over 6 or 7 pounds though, that ratio changes. For Christmas dinner this year my mom (who makes a mean rib roast) did a bone-in 10+ pounder and it took much longer to cook than normal. The bigger a vessel the larger the volume is relative to the surace area. My thought was, "yeah, but it's a cylinder shape, so it shouldn't matter", NOT true.

Good luck. Hard to go wrong with a rib roast. I like to coat in some herbs, butter and garlic and put under broiler or rotisserie for a few minutes before roasting. Like this here...

Made a pretty sporty fishing trip this weekend... as in left the dock at 2:00 pm Friday and got back around 5:00 pm on Saturday. Sunday morning was 3 hours of cleaning fish and boat.

After that the wife and I weighed our options for the remainder of the day... 1. Take the boat to the island, or 2. Spend that fuel money on nice piece of meat and put it on the new grill.

We opted for Choice 2. Left the boat and dropped off two kings (a 15 and 27 pounder) at a local Asain market. My lady there loves them and in exchange for kings, I get fresh egg rolls... everybody wins! Yes, those are two kings and a blackfin belly on a piece of cardboard laying on the curb outside their shop. Felt like I was at a real Asain Market... in Asia!

kings_zps704696d0.jpg?t=1348496342

From here it was off to the grocery. Picked up a 5.5 lb bone-in rib roast, bacon, lettuce, blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles, some rum (gotta do something while she spins on the grill), cream chesse, mushrooms, three bottles of wine (two for dinner, one for reduction), some port, thyme, garlic and then headed back to the house.

Shoved some garlic cloves into the roast, then salt and peppered. Next step was to cover it in chopped thyme and garlic. She's ready for the grill.
    DSCF0595_zps37e7b6ca.jpg?t=1348495364

I got the grill up to 700 degrees and then tossed her on...

DSCF0596_zps5bce46f4.jpg?t=1348495391

From here on out the picture quality goes downhill... apparently I had a pretty serious smudge on the lense (I suspect beef fat!) that had things pretty messed up, but not quite bad enogh to catch my attention.

Anyway,we tossed her on there at 700 and in probably 2 minutes she had a great crust! Shut the burners off and opened the lid for 3 or 4 minutes, then closed the grill back up and put one burner on low. At that point the grill was at probably 450 and it slowly dropped to about 250 before I brought it back up to 300 where it stayed for the duration of the spin.

In the meantime we got the cabernet reduction going (cab, port, thyme, beef stock, shallot, chicken stock, and drippings from the roast were periodically added). We reduced the wine by about 3/4.

DSCF0599_zps92543ec2.jpg?t=1348496642

Also on the menu were some stuffed mushrooms. We cut the stocks off and minced them, some garlic and some onion and then sauteed in a health portion of butter.
    DSCF0600_zps4df0707f.jpg?t=1348495436

Still figuring out my new point and shoot camera. The auto setting is quite often not the right mode... but you get the point here..
    DSCF0601_zps50fdbcbc.jpg?t=1348495471

DSCF0602_zps24eb1ee5.jpg?t=1348495505

Once the stalks, garlic, onion colled, we folded in cream cheese and then stuffed the little boogers and popped them in the oven.

Next item was to deep fry some bacon. Did that and then plated the wedge salads. They went back into my 35 degree fridge and sat patiently while the last few items were tended to.

By the time the mushrooms were almost done and the reduction had been strained, guess who was spinning at an internal temp of 128 degrees? You guessed it!
    DSCF0603_zps5b2e8e73.jpg?t=1348495541

Suffice it to say... you ABSOLUTELY do not need the rear "sear burner" to do a good rotisserie. This thing browned so well during those initial couple of minutes at 700. I mean it worked like an absolute charm.

So, we killed the heat and brought the roast in. After about 10 minutes we got a reading of 135 on the inside and fearing that it would continue to climb and cook I went ahead and cut out the bone. I would like to have let it set up a little bit longer, but we still didn't lose too much juice. Cut the first steak and... ah... perfection!

It looks like this is where the smudged shots occur. Dang it! The most important pics and they sucked. I was too hungry to even notice I guess.

Dinner time!
    DSCF0621_zps068a12d3.jpg?t=1348495578

DSCF0623_zps6a63f8f8.jpg?t=1348496015
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Looks good Panhandler!
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • Key LimeKey Lime Posts: 360 Officer
    Epic food **** PH! Maybe didn't notice the smudge after the 1st bottle of Cab went down. It's 4am and you're making me want to fire up the grill! :thumbsup