The hunt for the perfect rib

Removed membrane, cut in half, coated with deli mustard and some rib rub off the shelf. Into the fridge overnight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356815134.751644.jpg

Got the smoker dialed in and some thin blue smoke from some cherrywood.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356815255.817495.jpg

A quick peek about an hour in for a spritz with some apple juice.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356815308.899465.jpg

After three hours I coated with some honey and wrapped in foil with some apple juice.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356815367.870198.jpg

About an hour and a half later I removed from the foil and covered with Sweet Baby Rays. One half sweet and spicy and one half hickory and brown sugar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356815468.929478.jpg

Left on for about another half hour for the sauce to thicken up.

They were good but I have had better. Some of the best I have had were just dry rubbed and thrown on the smoker.

Next time I will use more smoke and a little less time in the foil. They were almost fall off the bone and I would like more snap to em.

Replies

• Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,264 Admiral
    Those look good. I like to use chunks of cherry wood in my large BGE as well for ribs. Did you use baby backs or St Louis style spare ribs? We prefer the St Louis style as they have much more meat.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • designated_hitterdesignated_hitter Posts: 837 Officer
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    Those look good. I like to use chunks of cherry wood in my large BGE as well for ribs. Did you use baby backs or St Louis style spare ribs? We prefer the St Louis style as they have much more meat.

They were baby backs, but quite meaty.
    I need to get some chunks, I only had chips and since they burn too fast I also wrapped some in foil and poked holes in the foil.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,264 Admiral
    The place I bought my egg from sells large bags of wood chunks. I usually keep cherry, apple, and oak on hand. I mostly use oak splits for my offset smoker, but have hardly used it in the two years since getting the egg.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • bassmanbassman Posts: 264 Officer
    Nice. Follow something similar. Modified 3-2-1 (2.5-1.5-.75), or closer to a 2-1-1 for baby backs. Use Jeff's rib rub from Smoking Meats Forums over mustard. Spritz with apple juice + apple cider vinigar. Orange juice and/or pineapple juice in the foil. Finish with sweet baby rays...probably not my favorite Q sauce but the masses seem to love it.
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    I like peeling the membrane off the ribs with my teeth and chewing it up. Smokey.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Was beginning to wonder how you'd be able to taste the ribs under all that extra stuff?
    deli mustard and some rib rub off the shelf
    smoke from some cherrywood
    spritz with some apple juice
    coated with some honey and wrapped in foil with some apple juice
    covered with Sweet Baby Rays. One half sweet and spicy and one half hickory and brown sugar

They were good but I have had better. Some of the best I have had were just dry rubbed and thrown on the smoker.

Oddly enough "Some of the best I have had were just dry rubbed and thrown on the" Weber grille. Like lump charcoal & hickory for smoke. Stack all the charcoal to 1 side, slow cook the ribs on the other. A 'starter chimney' full of charcoal burns for ~4 hours which is just the right time. Don't like to slather ribs w/sauce while they're cooking. Do like Baby Rays, but only as a dipping sauce on the table.

The most perfect ribs I've had were "just dry rubbed and" right off the Weber charcoal grille. Between the dry rub & hickory smoke the pork ribs didn't need anything else.

IHMO there's plenty of calories & taste in pork ribs w/o candy coating them. Sorry, but if I put all that stuff on the old Sperry boat shoes I'm wearing & slow cooked them, they'd probably taste OK.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Adam had a good rib. It made wimmins.
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    Dam, Hitter, them thangs look fittin to eat. Yum.

But the process is kinda like asking a Latina chick a yes or no question and getting a 100 woid reply.

My recipe:

Sprinkle garlic powder and black pepper on baby back ribs.
    Cook ribs on grill.
    Slather ribs with BBQ sauce and turn off heat.
    Eat.
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    001 wrote: »

Yeah, Zip, zip, uno. But she was a beeech and she didn't listen.

Stay away from the freakin' apples, bit!
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    A new - Adam's Ribs - recently opened that is EZ on way into town.
    001 wrote: »

May have to try them out soon. Have heard good reports from original location.
  • capt.c.herreracapt.c.herrera Posts: 215 Officer
    go 3 1/2 hours on smoker (250 degrees) skip the sauce, last half hour wrap with extra rub, sugar and honey. Your welcome.
  • TheCaptainsTableTheCaptainsTable Posts: 557 Officer
    go 3 1/2 hours on smoker (250 degrees) skip the sauce, last half hour wrap with extra rub, sugar and honey. Your welcome.
    If you in Palm Coast you need to stop by Captians BBQ, this is Chris's store and he can do some BBQ, fine eats Capt
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,069 AG
    My wife wants fall off the bone, so they will get atleast 5 1/2 to 6 hours for hers. Mine tend to stay around the 5 to 5 1/2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,580 Captain
    A new - Adam's Ribs - recently opened that is EZ on way into town.

May have to try them out soon. Have heard good reports from original location.

Ok at best. Sadly I actually think sonny's is better...
  • capt.c.herreracapt.c.herrera Posts: 215 Officer
    If you in Palm Coast you need to stop by Captians BBQ, this is Chris's store and he can do some BBQ, fine eats Capt

Thanks CaptainsTable!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,911 Moderator
    Lookin' good.

I'm in a real rib rut. My past three or four attempts have been completley lackluster and that's not normal for me on ribs, or anything else for that matter. Could be the meat, or it could be that I've changed timing or temp and don't even know it. Something needs to change. I'm a spare rib guy and we did some on Sunday two weeks ago and they were downright mediocre.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"