Capt. Bads Tackle Pilchards and Gogs

Was driving home yesterday when I noticed another bait store pop up in a blue building in the upper Keys. Anyone stop in yet?

Stopped by Captain Bads(Key Largo) to check it out. They are hosting a King Fish Tourn. this winter down here. Also they are selling Pilchards, Goggle Eyes, and Blue Runners from their tanks. The tanks are very clean. The pilchards are big. If you are looking for Goggle Eyes and want a convenient location to buy them from you can either pull up to his dock or stop in tackle shop.

He is carrying fresh dead goggle eyes and a ton of different baits. Might be worth checking it out.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,554 Moderator
    Prices?
  • waterboywaterboy Posts: 68 Deckhand
    The tackle shop in the Blue builing is Pete's Pro Shop. He has a bigger selection of products than the usual tackle shops down there, and very nice people.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    Gogs are $10 bucks a piece at Capt. Bads. :hairraiser Give me 3 dozen please haha
  • mskin314mskin314 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Capt Bad has been around for probably a few years now. I used to go there while he was still settting up the place. There are like 4 bait shops between MM103 and MM102 now, they are popping up everywhere. I prefer capt bads, good prices on most things and the best part is he is willing to talk to his customers. He always has a big blue sign on a dodge ram truck parked on MM103 bayside.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,181 AG
    Good info, thanks guys. I've seen the new blue place and I'll be looking for a regular bait & tackle place once I get the boat down to the new place...... I'm at MM100.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    mskin314 wrote: »
    Capt Bad has been around for probably a few years now. I used to go there while he was still settting up the place. There are like 4 bait shops between MM103 and MM102 now, they are popping up everywhere. I prefer capt bads, good prices on most things and the best part is he is willing to talk to his customers. He always has a big blue sign on a dodge ram truck parked on MM103 bayside.

Interesting. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but I've always rolled my eyes when driving past Captain Bad. It looks more like a comic book store or a place where 14 year olds hang out to play dungeon and dragons. I had NO idea they were a serious business and guess I should check them out.
  • KeyzNCKeyzNC Posts: 143 Officer
    For more info on their Kingfish tournament visit - http://www.reelfishdeals.com/captbad.html

25% Discount for ANY Military Personnel
    $50 Discount for Locals

Register & Pay by Jan 11 and receive a Gift bag full of Tackle worth $100!!
    Nicole
    RF Outfitters
    Custom Fishing Apparel, Specializing in Sublimation
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,104 Officer
    I'm a local mm 106. Walked in there for the first time when they had been open for only 4 or 5 months. If first impressions are everything- I never went back- ballyhoo wasn't fresh, and assortment of tackle was slim. This is just me, BUT I am a firm believer in second chances and will be back in next week! I will report again back on this thread
  • danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    I passed by Capt. Bad about a week ago and got gogs cheaper than $10/pop....still more expensive than what I pay here in Miami, but was worth it. He has all sorts of baits. He'll work with you too. Give him a call and and a heads up and he said he would work out deals for those tortugas trips a lot of us go on. I might be going on a YC trip next week, so Im going to call to see what kind of prices he can do for me...
  • mad dog bitemad dog bite Posts: 423 Officer
    What a stupid name for a business...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • lwrenlwren Posts: 142 Officer
    Does he deliver the goggle eyes to your boat? At ten buck a shot you don't want to loose any on the way home... I use Barefoot Baits, he either catches them fresh that night or delivers them to the boat in an oxygenated well. Always good baits!
    Thanks Larry
    First Choice Islamorada Fishing Charters
    305-360-4900
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    danmanswag wrote: »
    I passed by Capt. Bad about a week ago and got gogs cheaper than $10/pop....still more expensive than what I pay here in Miami, but was worth it. He has all sorts of baits. He'll work with you too. Give him a call and and a heads up and he said he would work out deals for those tortugas trips a lot of us go on. I might be going on a YC trip next week, so Im going to call to see what kind of prices he can do for me...

Cool. I was just reporting what I saw on his sign when I was in his store looking for some ballyhoo. Let us know what you find and post a report for your YC trip. Good luck!
    lwren wrote: »
    Does he deliver the goggle eyes to your boat? At ten buck a shot you don't want to loose any on the way home... I use Barefoot Baits, he either catches them fresh that night or delivers them to the boat in an oxygenated well. Always good baits!

He backs on up the Canal you can pull right up and put them in the boat.
    Nicole
    RF Outfitters
  • danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    Cool. I was just reporting what I saw on his sign when I was in his store looking for some ballyhoo. Let us know what you find and post a report for your YC trip. Good luck!

Going to pass by on the way down on Friday...already will have my gogs, so I'll just see what other baits are available. I'll let you know about the YC trip, for sure...hopefully the winds stay down
  • ucfletchucfletch Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Anyone going to fish there kingfish tournament.
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 274 Deckhand
    what's the approach from the water? landmark? sign?
    here is a satellite photo of where the canal is located.
    Nicole
    RF Outfitters
  • KoifarmerKoifarmer Posts: 67 Deckhand
    We have had some business to business dealings with Captain Bads and I can say .. they are all about ensuring fishing success. Our chum is and out of the ordinary product and he viewed it with a lot of skepticism. After personal research and a lot of questioning , they decided to carry yellowtail up chum and chum cloud menhaden oil cloud. Its very refreshing to deal with a company that is not afraid to look at the new.

Give them your support. This is the kind of place you want to stay in business. Having fresh bait ... is worth the price. Without it ... your just burning gas!

http://www.aquaticnutrition.com/yellowtail_up.html
    KeyzNC wrote: »
    here is a satellite photo of where the canal is located.

See ya on the water !