POMPANO 1/5-1/8. WAHOO-TUNA

Well it was a slow weekend for me as I only managed to land one Alamaco and a couple Bonita but Mr Joe Hector, tournament director for Extreme had a great weekend and day today. He landed one nice Black fin tuna on 1/5/13, Joe Kraatz (Kayakangler) landed a small Mahi (no pic) and this Stud of a Wahoo this morning 1/8/13. Both fish were caught on live Pilchards in 180-200ft of water.

Replies

• drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Donkey hoo!! Sir Joe Wahoo Hector needs to give lessons on slaying beast wahoo!!
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Great catches. Congrats to all.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Do you use wire or cable? What test line are you using? I can't imagine catching a tuna and a wahoo on the same presentation. Aren't the tuna unlikely to hit the hardware necessary for a wahoo? Either way, congratulations.
  • kayakanglerkayakangler Posts: 207 Officer
    Produkt wrote: »
    Do you use wire or cable? What test line are you using? I can't imagine catching a tuna and a wahoo on the same presentation. Aren't the tuna unlikely to hit the hardware necessary for a wahoo? Either way, congratulations.

the majority of jumbo tuna we catch is on the same rig as for the wahoo. just a standard stinger rig. most people use wire but i like using cable. it is flexible and you dont have to change it everytime you catch a fish.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Produkt wrote: »

Stinger Rig. #5 or #6 wire. All of my sailfish have been caught on this rig. My biggest Tuna's have been caught on this rig. All the Mahi Ive caught off my kayak have been on this rig to. FISH ARE NOT AFRAID OF WIRE. USE IT! It works!
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,618 Captain
    Another nice wahoo. Joe knows how to catch them.:Rockon
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Very nice wahoo!!!!
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • mangohunter11mangohunter11 Posts: 442 Officer
    Sick!!! Always! GIve my Kudos to Joe for the sick hoo!
  • Baxter22Baxter22 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Super nice JOE!
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    very nice hoo! congrats!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Where do you put your fish, in a fish bag? I'm guessing you paddle in right after catching a beast hoo like that
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    Good stuff. I think I might try and do some fishing that way up here. I have to find a bait guy around boynton. Anybody have any info on that?
  • kitesfrkitesfr Posts: 356 Officer
    How big were the pilchards? How did yopu rig them? Thanks for sharing! Great catch. :rotflmao
    Fair winds and following seas!
    There is a guy at the Boynton inlet with a pickup truck usually parked near the concession stand, has a logo on the topper about live bait. Lets do it Blaze!
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    kitesfr wrote: »
    How big were the pilchards? How did yopu rig them? Thanks for sharing! Great catch. :rotflmao

Large pilchards, Rigged them with a stinger rig with the stinger free dangling. #5 wire, 2/0 short shank J with a treble hook following it.
    - Thanks, Joe
  • NELBAGNELBAG Posts: 251 Officer
    Blazin...extreme bait 561-547-4628...boat and pens in marina behind concession stand.
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    Thanks nelbag and kitesfr. I think I am gonna try and get me a wahoo too. I have been getting some info from some guys at work as well. Just need the ocean to calm down a bit as last weekend was outrageous! 4-6 ftrs with an occasional 8ft roller. And a god awful south moving current.
  • Redneck RocketRedneck Rocket Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Someone is gonna have to show me how to rig with wire!
  • Elk ChaserElk Chaser Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Bomber hoo on the yak. Very nice.
    Agreed Blazer! It was friggin' huge rollers. This weekend looks worse. Catch u when it's flatter...
  • LivinthedreamLivinthedream Posts: 207 Officer
    Awesome! Hope all you guys are doing well! I will hopefully get to make a trip back out soon!