OK we have moved. BIG GRIN Homosassa Florida is now home

moved in Riverhaven. then immediately got our fishing liscense LOL. then we went boat shopping. got the new boat picked out and picked up a couple weeks ago. a nice 22cc Striper Seaswirl Perfect size for us since i will be the Captain this go round. (hubby tired of me catching first -most -and biggest fish when he Catained the last one) LOL with a head and a live well. haha! , LOL. so we are ready to fish. practiced going out the river and back several times. all went well. payed close attention to markers and didnt get in a hurry. Hubby says i will do and did good. :) so... now we are going to get our docks rebuilt my Mr McRae. But in mean time im loolking for fish, any suggestions. OUr boat drafts 16-18 thye say. lets say 2 to be on the safe side. LOL

got our Epirb device today. very important.

any tips welcomed. look fwd to meeting some of you and fishing
God bless all of you and a very happy and Blessed Happy New Year
Laura and Tom

Oh and ps.
already caught a spec ( released) snappers ATE, a mackeral, and three big blue crabs and a 2.5 pound catfish (released) right off our dock. WOOHOO

Replies

• Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    Welcome. The juggernauts will chime in shortly. I just catch 1-2 fish a month and rarely anything of substance so they will have better advice than me. Enjoy the area. Year-round potential for fish in these parts.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • Luv2fishLuv2fish Posts: 121 Officer
    whats a juggernaut. LOL
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 415 Deckhand
    Welcome to Riverhaven! Plenty of good fishermen in the neighborhood. Want to find fish? My suggestion is to hire a guide, buddy up to Troutman or just "burn gas" and watch the sounder. Drawing nearly 2' means you'll probably need to stay in deeper water. Go slow, go as shallow as you can and keep the sounder in good shape. GOOD LUCK! GOOD FISHING!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • reeljobreeljob Posts: 385 Officer
    Congratulations! Have fun and learn the waters this winter when the tides are low. If you can figure things out now, it will be much easier this summer.
    You might want to hit up Troutman for inshore tips. All I caught today were rocks and trees inshore, but I know a thing or two about catching grouper.
    If you have a Mercury, Gulf Coast marine is the best around and in Homosassa as well.
    Make sure your flares are up to date as well. I was inspected last week and mine would have been out of date next month = big fine. Make sure you have Sea Tow or Tow Boat US as well.
    Most importantly, have fun!
    I was born with nothing, and I have most of it left.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Sounds like Deeper trout (Mid spring through early fall) and grouper, sea bass, sheepshead, cobia kingfish..............This is a great time of year to leanr and research. look through the reports here and back through the archives. pick something you like and work at it. I agree with ThinkIcan....hiring a guide is a great idea for a couple trips to learn the what and where. If you would like I could help you out some of the basics. Welcome to Riverhaven. I can't think of a better place to live bar none!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    THINKICAN wrote: »
    Welcome to Riverhaven! Plenty of good fishermen in the neighborhood. Want to find fish? My suggestion is to hire a guide, buddy up to Troutman or just "burn gas" and watch the sounder. Drawing nearly 2' means you'll probably need to stay in deeper water. Go slow, go as shallow as you can and keep the sounder in good shape. GOOD LUCK! GOOD FISHING!

I agree and welcome here....now we like pictures.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    troutman do you live here in RH thanks to all of you. thatw exactly what we have been doing. EXPLORING. went out to the last channel marker the other day BEFORE the storm blew in. saw fish on finder all over. think we were using wrong baits. went and stocked up on Gulps new copper pen. well. i will go read reports and look fwd to learning. ><)))*> and for us making some new fishing friends

Guide idea is great but probably should pic one witha similar kind of boat, met a flats guy but he can go where we cant LOL
    any suggestions on a couple of guides with a boat similar. and or maybe one that would go out on ours LOL
    heard we have a neighbor here on deep water thats a guide. so .. THANK YOU ALL
    GOD BLESS
    see you on the water,
    luv2fish (laura)
  • PowerhousePowerhouse Posts: 321 Deckhand
    I believe you're going to love the fishing up there. I have a cabin there and now that I have the boat up to par, I will be doing some fishing up there. My neighbors have told me plenty of horror stories about hitting those huge rocks and oyster bars. I will probably have one of them take me out a few times so I can learn the water.
    Joe

2002 Hurricane 196 Fundeck-2002 Yamaha 115

efb1e8b8-d16e-4a72-be83-5f5dcba5d540_zpsam1yfgmv.jpg
    thanks yall. we need all the help we can get. LOL. Happy New YEar.
    God Bless

Laura and Tom Howell
    [email protected]

lets hook up and fish. keep our email, let us know when
  • GilmoreGilmore Posts: 126 Officer
    Definitely Troutman! I`m constantly impressed with the stories of him taking guests and putting them on fish. Those people would have to pay big money to hire a professional guide and probably would not catch any more fish than with him. Obviously a very charitable guy.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,769 Captain
    Welcome to Paradise!!! I think Yer gonna like it here!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
    im REEL happy to be here
    we are almost ready. been adventuring and ready to meet soon. :)

luv2fish AKA Laura