Not Political....but important

Replies

• CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Figgers you are a smoker.

10 bucks sez you'll be doing yer chimbly impression by 12:30 new years eve....

I always thought that sallow look of you in your avatar just wasn't right for a healthy person.

Have you had a pet scan recently?

A friend of mines sister died day after Christmas from smoking 2 packs a day, she got the bad news in August.

The upside is once you are diagnosed the chance of being cured is non existent but the long range outlook isn't more than 9 months.

Do you have any chest pains or shortness of breath?

Always count on you for an uplifting spirit....

Probably your dopiest comments ever.....and you have a long line to beat.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    cadman wrote: »
    Here is a perfect example of why you should never share personal goals with people on this forum. Crap like the posts above. I may disagree with Bob on issues, but to actually wish him bad health as one did and ***** about it from another is just a demonstration of how low some members will go to make themselves feel better. You both should be banned for that kind of crap.

Bob, good luck on giving up smoking. ignore the lowlifes on here.

Ah let them spout of their stupidity....it just goes to show that when they post something on a real thread...it is just as hollow and useless and this....
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Good luck and remember falling off the wagon doesn't mean you can't climb right back on. Most people take 3 to 5 attempts to kick smoking for good.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    cpr wrote: »
    Good luck and remember falling off the wagon doesn't mean you can't climb right back on. Most people take 3 to 5 attempts to kick smoking for good.

Thanks....I hve done this before....in fact every night...I quit smoking at least for a few hours anyway....for me it will be the routine and habit.....

Thanks to all for your supportive words.....even form those whose words were not supportive....I understand that it may not be within you to stand behinds someone who might hold oposing politicval views than you and your hatred spills over into everything you do...

But thanks for trying anyway.

To everyone else Happy New Year and be careful out there on amature night....this is one of those occasions where I refuse to drink....so if you are imbibbing.....please tip one for me.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Thanks....I hve done this before....in fact every night...I quit smoking at least for a few hours anyway....for me it will be the routine and habit.....

Thanks to all for your supportive words.....even form those whose words were not supportive....I understand that it may not be within you to stand behinds someone who might hold oposing politicval views than you and your hatred spills over into everything you do...

But thanks for trying anyway.

To everyone else Happy New Year and be careful out there on amature night....this is one of those occasions where I refuse to drink....so if you are imbibbing.....please tip one for me.

LOL when we get patients in the ER with extreme SOB and are trying to keep them off the vent, one of our first questions is "do you smoke?". Most can barley talk and many say "nope I quit." Now we look at the patient and most if not all of these patients smell like a chimney and have the tips of their index finger and thumb tobacco stained brown along with their teeth and lips. So we say, with a smile, "when?" And they say, "Yesterday when I couldn't breath so good." We all have a good laugh. And then we ask if they want to be put on a machine or not, just in case. I swear this happens almost nighty.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,644 Admin
    Best thing you can ever do for your health and your family.
    Good luck, Bob, we're pulling for ya!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Twelve hours in...
    Morning coffee was a bit tough....

So far it is nicorette gum (yuck) and the e-cigs....
    Wife is struggling more than me and I was a chimney....
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Posts: 3,247 Officer
    As simple and stupid as this sounds, just don't do it! Have you removed all easy access to cigs? If not, do it! Make it difficult to get to them. This will put a layer of time between the urge to smoke and the actual act.
    Twelve hours in...

As simple and stupid as this sounds, just don't do it! Have you removed all easy access to cigs? If not, do it! Make it difficult to get to them. This will put a layer of time between the urge to smoke and the actual act.

There is not a cig, lighter, ashtray in sight.
    Last week I went from buying cartons to packs so by 11:00 last night there were only 2 smokes in the house.
    After we finished those, I went through and gathered up all ash trays, lighters, empty packs and took them out to the trash.

First thing I notice this morning was how bad my towel in the bathroom smelled like smoke.....

Now we are going through and cleaning the house top to bottom and washing every thing....

I feel like apologizing to everyone I ever talked to in person over the last 30 years for making them have to smell me like that
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,046 Captain
    You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

And best wished for a happy and prosperous New Year to ALL!
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Posts: 3,247 Officer
    There truly is a physical addiction to nicotine but this resolves in a few days. After this, it becomes a "mind thing". Stay focused on WHY you are quitting!!
    Last week I went from buying cartons to packs so by 11:00 last night there were only 2 smokes in the house.
    After we finished those, I went through and gathered up all ash trays, lighters, empty packs and took them out to the trash.

First thing I notice this morning was how bad my towel in the bathroom smelled like smoke.....

Now we are going through and cleaning the house top to bottom and washing every thing....

I feel like apologizing to everyone I ever talked to in person over the last 30 years for making them have to smell me like that
  • CobiaCobia Posts: 564 Officer
    I began smoking at age 13, 60 years ago. Quit cigs 16 yrs ago. Sid not smoke for nearly eight months, Then I started cigars. Just a hit, ya know. I now smoke four or five a day! I will quit on January 20 th. New knee will keep me pretty much out from behind the steering wheel for a month or so. Mrs. Cobia is not into buying cigars for me. Good for her and I hope, good for me.
    I guess I'll go have a cigar. I have about 12 or so remaining. Being a tightwad, I cannot bear the thought of throwing them away. Hypocrite, I am.
    Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that is even remotely possible. Homer Simpson
  • BudaBuda Posts: 2,062 Captain
    You can do it. I recall quitting the filthy habit about 45 years ago. It was one of the most difficult things that I ever did. For weeks before stopping for good I would get up in the morning and say I was going to quit but before the day was out, I would have cast aside my thought. Finally I told all of my friends at work and everywhere I was quitting and that proved to be the deciding factor.

From my experience now, I would add one further suggestion to pray for God's help.

For about a month or so every morning when I woke up, I recall saying to myself, what did I make such a dumb pronouncement for. I think that I succeeded because I could not admit to people that I lacked the self control to stop as I had professed.

This constant battle lasted about a month and then got better, after a couple of months I got to where I couldn't stand the smell of the cancer sticks. I have not looked back and it has now been over 45 years.

You can do it. Good luck.

Bud A
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Way to go Cap'n Bob...:hail

Lots of good advice here, lots of good wishes...jes' keep on quittin'.

When you feel the urge to smoke, take a walk, ride a bike, wash the boat...reach for Ms Cap'n Bob, etc. :wink

Physical activity helps some, so they say.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    My brother in law smoked between two and three packs a day for 30 years. Got a prescription for Chantix and has not smoked in a year now. He says he had no side effects and couldn't believe that after a week on the drug he just had no desire anymore.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,894 AG
    Get out on the boat. Way out.
    Stay busy in the set, changing things.

This way when you feel the urge you will have to come all the way back in to get one and hopefully something will go off in the set to take your mind off them.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    WOW! "Twelve hours". Guess all the increasingly depressing & graphic anti-smoking PSA's are finally having an impact? Had not known some smokers sacrifice limbs to their tobacco addiction. The 'Stoma Ad' seems particularly effective. Discouraging 1st Time Smokers may be better, toward that goal, in NY cigarettes are ~$10/pack.
    Twelve hours in...

An old friend has been addicted to Nicorette Gum for many, many, many, many years. He also abused nicotine patches at the same time & hid the habit from his wife. But he does not smoke. Between nicotine patches, "nicorette gum (yuck) and the e-cigs" a nicotine addict can quit w/o actually quitting.

Where are the forum's proud cigar enthusiasts to glamorize & defend the full enjoyment of tobacco products? How many follow Pinch & Spit sports heroes into the smokeless tobacco craze? Nobody going to boast about tobacco's fine taste?
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    Way to go Cap'n Bob...:hail

Lots of good advice here, lots of good wishes...jes' keep on quittin'.

When you feel the urge to smoke, take a walk, ride a bike, wash the boat...reach for Ms Cap'n Bob, etc. :wink

Physical activity helps some, so they say.

Is there a correlation between reach'n for Ms Cap'n and physical activity...LOL

She is not in the best of moods....I do not think she prepared for this well...
  • old thompsonold thompson Posts: 6,497 Officer
    Where are the forum's proud cigar enthusiasts to glamorize & defend the full enjoyment of tobacco products? How many follow Pinch & Spit sports heroes into the smokeless tobacco craze? Nobody going to boast about tobacco's fine taste?

They are on another thread 'cause CaptBobBryant ain't talkin' bout' "tobacco" per se, he is quitting comercially made "tobacco product" cigaretts of the type made by P. Morris and R.J. Rynolds. That particular "tobacco product" is about half tobacco, half somethin' else...

If you want a decent cigarette these days, you gotta grow the shtuff and roll 'em up your own self.

Best wishes on your endeavor Capt.
    He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

No representation without taxation!
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,327 AG
    Feel the urge, go for a run, not a jog, but a run. As long as you have been smoking, your current cardio will kill that urge right away. Assuming you don't keel over :)
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer

Fibber I am a proud Cigar enthusiast. I smoke one a day after dinner. They average between $10.00 and $30.00 each stick. My absolute favorite is the Arturo Fuente OPUSX (average about $18.00 per stick). They are actually better than almost all the Cuban cigars but are very hard to come by. They are only distributed about 4 times a year to select stores and many stores place a two to five stick limit on them. When they come out I tell all my employees where to get them and not to even consider showing up to work without the limit in hand. Of course I immediately reimburse them. I think anything is ok in moderation. Hell, someone even told me once that even too much good scotch can hurt you. Never imagined that.

As for Capt. Bob I applaud his efforts and wish him luck.
    Chubasco.jpg
    So the first 24 hours came and went....
    Had a few struggles and even a slip up....

But all in all considering where I was at.....I am much better off today....

Today seems to be hard as well...
    But anything worth doing...is never easy
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Good luck man, I wish you the best.

You will prevail and all will be well.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • brentsumbrentsum Posts: 1,618 Officer
    CaptBob - you can do it! My father passed away from lung cancer at 55 years young. I watched him take his last labored breath, I tear up to this day thinking about it.

Hang with it and don't give up, you will eventually feel better, food will taste better, and you will live a lot longer and healthier. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer

You will not believe what it does your sense of smell. FYI, you smelled like [email protected] all the time. Good for you on quitting. Good luck.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    So the first 24 hours came and went....
    Had a few struggles and even a slip up....

But all in all considering where I was at.....I am much better off today....

Today seems to be hard as well...
    But anything worth doing...is never easy

Put a toothpick i your mouth, carry a pen between your fingers. I'm serious, those little things help with the habits that go along with puffing.
    Okay Day 5 update....

I can not call myself a 100% non smoker, but each day draws me closer to that goal..
    From a breathing standpoint I have not felt this good in decades....

From 2 packs to 2 sticks a day...
    Not a fan of the nocotine gum...it really burns the mouth...
    I can feel that I will beat this this time...
  • gunby31gunby31 Posts: 5,777 Officer
    The monster inside has to starve. He will fight you for a while. Just tell him no, you will not be a slave to him.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    They are on another thread 'cause CaptBobBryant ain't talkin' bout' "tobacco" per se, he is quitting comercially made "tobacco product" cigaretts of the type made by P. Morris and R.J. Rynolds. That particular "tobacco product" is about half tobacco, half somethin' else...

If you want a decent cigarette these days, you gotta grow the shtuff and roll 'em up your own self.

Best wishes on your endeavor Capt.

When I first started driving a tanker truck one of my first loads was a product that went to Richmond Va. to a Phillip Morris plant. The product was used to make the tobacco stay lit in the cig.
    The product had a name began with diethel
    I can't remember the full name. But the trailer was placarded as flammable 1237 and after reading the MSDS I just shook my head and thanked God I never took up the smoking habit!
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 27,422 AG
    Under the new FDA rules every manufacturer has to list the ingredients on their website

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/cms/Products/Cigarettes/Ingredients/Ingredients_by_Brand/default.aspx?src=top_nav

Mini Mart Magnate