Personal Best Caught on Video.

Caught 10/21/12 on a Watermelon / Red Yum F2 Ferocity Wooly Bully, 2/0 worm hook, and very light 10lb test. Really had to thumb the line and adjust the drag real time as he kept digging down into weeds and made a few unexpected runs. My wife started to record about a minute into the fight. Barely lip hooked (I bend the barbs down to promote catch and release), hence I freaked out when he finally surfaced and I could see how he was barely on. Never jumped. Not exactly sure how much it weighed. But, it was around 24 inches in length so I'm guessing it was between 6-8lbs. A new personal best! :)

Replies

• Dad Gum pardner...I have never seen such a long battle to bring in a bass. That was over 8#'s....no doubt about it. Congratulations!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,549 Moderator
    Great catch !!
    "You'll get your weather"
  • UFGatorGuy20UFGatorGuy20 Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Dad Gum pardner...I have never seen such a long battle to bring in a bass. That was over 8#'s....no doubt about it. Congratulations!

Thanks! Haha... Agree on the fight! Come tournament time, no way I'd fight a bass like that. But, the light tackle sure made the fight interesting. The lake has similar qualities to toho (rather shallow, thick weed lines). The light line just wouldn't allow me to keep him up.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,549 Moderator
    I've caught big fish on really light line and watched them run down to cover and stick their head in it. As soon as they thought they were hidden they stopped fighting.
    With light pressure I would ease their head back out of the cover and they would fight to get hidden again. If grass covers their eyes (like blinders on a horse) they will give up and lots of times can be led to the boat with no fight. Grouper exhibit the same behavior. If a seafan or sponge gets stuck on the leader and covers their eyes they stop fighting thinking they are hidden.
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    I've caught big fish on really light line and watched them run down to cover and stick their head in it. As soon as they thought they were hidden they stopped fighting.
    With light pressure I would ease their head back out of the cover and they would fight to get hidden again. If grass covers their eyes (like blinders on a horse) they will give up and lots of times can be led to the boat with no fight. Grouper exhibit the same behavior. If a seafan or sponge gets stuck on the leader and covers their eyes they stop fighting thinking they are hidden.

Good observation and analogy. That's exactly what this fish did. He would make a run down back into weeds and it felt like a grouper that would go back down into his hole. No pulling... just dead heavy weight.
  • Chasing spotsChasing spots Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Great catch!!!!!!!
  • flaswimbaiterflaswimbaiter Posts: 123 Officer
    Dude, that is at least eight. Very nice!
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    Very Nice Bass! I hope you know about Florida's Big Catch Recognition Program? http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/fishing-tips/angler-recognition/

One more question, How do you get your wife to paddle you around and film you while you fish?
    LeeH wrote: »
    Very Nice Bass! I hope you know about Florida's Big Catch Recognition Program? http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/fishing-tips/angler-recognition/

One more question, How do you get your wife to paddle you around and film you while you fish?

Actually I didn't know about the big catch recognition program. Thanks for passing along!

Haha... as far as your question goes... I'm actually the lucky one that has to manage paddling or trolling us around, keep a dog from tangling herself up (she jumped in last week), and also help my wife with her pole, line, and bait. She enjoys fishing a lot, but does it in spurts when we go out. She enjoys the weather and outdoors more. So, when she takes a break, I get a little more action in. Also, if I left the oars in her hands, she would just spin us in circles! :willynilly :wink
  • Juan GrandeJuan Grande Posts: 67 Deckhand
    Nice catch! Way to work it up to the boat.:fishing
    John

Isn't it funny how the words "silent", and "listen", have the same letters in them?
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,532 Captain
    HAWG !!!! Nice work !!
  • StratosStratos Posts: 149 Officer
    nice catch!