Tampa Restaurant Advice

My wife and I are going to CineBistro in Hyde Park tonight and would like to find somewhere other than the theatre to eat in the area. She saw Ella that looked interesting, we like a cool atmosphere and location. We might just get apps and drinks at both the restaurant and theatre. Any suggestions in the area, and has anyone eaten during the movie.

Replies

• Paul78Paul78 Posts: 43 Deckhand
    I've been to Timpano's which is across the street. They had great food, but a little pricier and can be busy. I hear "The Lodge" has great food from several folks, although I've never been there. It is a bout 5 minutes away.
  • CaptainBarryCaptainBarry Posts: 151 Officer
    Timpano's is pretty good for the price. Mise En Place is probably my favorite and it's only 5 minutes away.
    6858649558_117861d680_n.jpg
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Try Platinums off MLK, they have a buffet.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    honestly, I goto the cinebistro here in wesley chapel. Its not regular theatre food, its quite high end and very good. The fish and chips they serve is the best fish and chips ive ever had. I have not had a bad meal yet and have tried half the menu. I think one of the waiters told us they are voted best of the bay in some food category.
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Thanks guys, we ended up going to Timpanos because of the location. We parked in the parking garage, which is surprisingly free, and then went into timpanos and sat at the bar. Quite nice, we had carpaccio and a dozen raw oysters, along with a couple of adult beverages. We then went across the street to Cinebistro and was pleasantly surprised at the whole experience. Nice bar in the lobby and the seats were big, comfortable and more than enough leg room to stretch out. Ordered a couple more beverages, some guacomole and fig and prosciuto flat bread. Really good. They quit serving before the movies and my only negative observation was the staffs collecting the plates and silverware during the movie. A good bit of clanging around and due to this movie being a little more quiet during this time it was very noticeble. By the way, Les Mis was good, not as good as the play, but good, and Russell Crowe really can't sing in my opinion. Hugh Jackman and Ann Hathaway were outstanding. Everyone should experience the theatre.
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Thanks for the report. In your first post you mentioned 'Ella,' did you mean Ella's Americana Folk Art Cafe? That's one of my favorite places in Tampa, good food, music, and interesting decor and clientele.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    Ellas has horrible parking. I hear good things about it, but ive tried to go twice only to drive away cause I could not find a place to park.
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    drkptt wrote: »
    Thanks for the report. In your first post you mentioned 'Ella,' did you mean Ella's Americana Folk Art Cafe? That's one of my favorite places in Tampa, good food, music, and interesting decor and clientele.
    Yep, my wife loves that type of atmosphere. We'll keep that one on our to do list. Parking for us may not be an issue because we always go before the dinner crowd. Maybe that would help.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Hao Wah and be done with it---can taste it right now
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,103 Captain
    Ella's is good and owned by a friend Ernie, you should check it out. Mis En Place is hands down my favorite fancy restaurant in Tampa, but Timpano's is good too.
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Ella's is good and owned by a friend Ernie, you should check it out. ...

I was with some friends at the Antiwarpt fest in 2011 when one of Ernie's bands was playing (Nervous Turkey or Lambasters?). I was telling them how good Ella's is, then Ernie got all sweaty, took off his shirt, and launched quarters off his belly into the crowd. I said "now picture him in the kitchen cooking your food." I don't think my friends have been to Ella's yet. I've been back; Ernie doesn't scare me.