Has America followed other great governments?

2»

Replies

• beach_tradebeach_trade Posts: 2,040 Captain
    If there is no middle class and 95% of Americans are poor, what would sustain this corporate america that you think will take over? These corporations and farms will be making and growing what to sell to whom?

Therein lies the end game. The fall of America will ensue.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,074 Admiral
    I listed in my post above the similarities between our declining Nation and the Roman Empire. However, I do believe there are unaccounted for differences that will take us down a new, unforged path than the one that Rome took. Sadly though, the end result will likely be the same.

In Rome, there were 5 classes of people:

Slave
    Poor
    Middle Class
    Rich Business Owners
    Rich Politicians

In Rome, the politicians had no problem taxing the hell out of the rich business owners to keep funding government spending.

Compare that to America:

Poor
    Middle Class
    Rich Politicians and Business Men

The rich politicians are controlled by the business men, and refuse to "tax the hell out of them". Even if their tax rate is a theoretical 59%, they still find ways to only pay an effective 29% in taxes. Since the poor pretty much don't pay taxes, this leaves a large majority of the taxation to be paid for by the middle class (who pay over 30%)
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,328 AG
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Yes.

My vision of America long after I'm gone is one big "Pottersville". Corporations already own most of our agricultural land, and in 50 years I think they'll own most of our housing. There will be no middle class. 95% of Americans will be poor, relying totally on the corporation for which they work, and 5% of Americans will be the ruling elite.

I honestly believe that. Is that jaded enough for you?

True but misleading..

Many large farming operations even though incorporated are still basically family owned farms.. Not the evil picture that many like to paint.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,440 AG
    fins4me wrote: »
    True but misleading..

Many large farming operations even though incorporated are still basically family owned farms.. Not the evil picture that many like to paint.

I would love to source all my food locally from family farms, but big agribusiness has make that almost impossible, alone with other factors.
    Vote for the other candidate
2»