Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

question for the Group

Ok, I am slowly becoming less of a novice fisherman, but I still have questions. So here it goes. I am out on Pelican slow trolling for the Kings with about 75 other boats the other day. I see some of the commercial guys going in circles and they have some pole contraption hanging off one side of the boat. I figure it is a teaser of some sort but am curious to know what that thing is. I see these guys using handline and dragging in fish after fish while I only boat 1 of 9 hard strikes. The ones i miss come back stripped of bait but no hook up even with double hooked Bally or stinger rigges Bally. So, enlighten me, those with more experieince, what is the contraption and what tactics do you prefere on these bait stealing little Ba%$#@ds?

Replies

• Big WormBig Worm Posts: 61 Deckhand
    It's a bug reel with feather jigs on it. I still can't believe people actually pay to eat kingfish. I think the commercial limit is 50 not positive on that though.
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    Big Worm wrote: »
    It's a bug reel with feather jigs on it. I still can't believe people actually pay to eat kingfish. I think the commercial limit is 50 not positive on that though.

You pay to eat them too every time you pay for gas, bait, and tackle to accidently catch them goin after mahi. Funny thing is that cuda taste better than mac.
  • Caribbean SoulCaribbean Soul Posts: 234 Officer
    PCTIM wrote: »
    Ok, I am slowly becoming less of a novice fisherman, but I still have questions. So here it goes. I am out on Pelican slow trolling for the Kings with about 75 other boats the other day. I see some of the commercial guys going in circles and they have some pole contraption hanging off one side of the boat. I figure it is a teaser of some sort but am curious to know what that thing is. I see these guys using handline and dragging in fish after fish while I only boat 1 of 9 hard strikes. The ones i miss come back stripped of bait but no hook up even with double hooked Bally or stinger rigges Bally. So, enlighten me, those with more experieince, what is the contraption and what tactics do you prefere on these bait stealing little Ba%$#@ds?

slow trolling is for use with live bait, ballyhoo pick your speed up to 5 knots. if you get a strike and no fish put the line into free spool for 20 seconds and see if the fish comes back around to eat it. think about how kings feed they cut off the tail first (short strike) then come back around to eat the fish.

the commercial guys use whats called a bug, on the pole is on an electric reel that cranks the fish in like a lobster trap on the deadliest catch.
  • I use a single rig Ballyhoo, and attach a wire with treble to the tail. Bite-off's always get the stinger that way. I run a downrigger with a planer and release clip at 4-5mph then a few
    flatlines with the same rig, sometimes nose weighted. Use a heavy treble, as you never know when a Wahoo is in the mix, or even a big King will take the bait.
  • PCTIMPCTIM Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Big Worm wrote: »

Bug reel?? **** is that?
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,294 Officer
    PCTIM wrote: »
    Bug reel?? **** is that?

Its an electric reel to haul the fish in faster. They usually have wire line with a "bug" on the end, which is like a nylon jig
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,129 AG
    abovebored wrote: »
    Its an electric reel to haul the fish in faster. They usually have wire line with a "bug" on the end, which is like a nylon jig

Well, from an ex commercial king guy..

The description of a "bug reel is accurate...but it is not what the OP is refering to...

The "pole" he is refering to is one of the outriggers that will have a planer attached to it. These are used to pull a strip bait and sea witch combo...usually a pogy strip made by carefully fileting to split the tail so that each pogy yeilds 4 baits...with a 1/4 tail to "swim"

The bug reel is "jigged" by hand....when a fish is "struck"...an overhead line to a switch activates the "reel" which is usually made from an old time 6V starter motor hooked to a spool that holds the wire line with a short section of heavy mono to hold while jigging.
    A "bug" is nothing more than a large hook tied with nylon "hair" to make a weightless jig...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you