Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Red snapper law clarification

Hey all!! I'm looking for some advice and I'm sure I'm in the wrong section as I remember there being a forum for regulations but I can't seem to find it.

But anyways in trying to ensure my accuracy of interpretation of the laws regarding red snapper. It seems to me that it's illegal to keep any in federal waters but if caught within 3nautical mile line it's legal. I ask n I actually caught a 21" red snapper about two miles off the other day and first off I freaked out I caught one there (by fluke I'm sure) but then it dawned on me that I heard there legal state but not federal. I off course released it unharmed but now I'm curious. Can someone assist me in the true legality of this? Or point me where I can be 100% positive of the law? I'd love to have just one on my plate that I caught.

This question also applies to Black Sea bass as I caught a 15" one the same day. I'm not great at reading laws but I darn sure don't want to break any and play it safe and release alot more than I probably would have to. Thank you to all in advance.
If everyone focused on what's important in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles...

Replies

• jacqueojacqueo Posts: 1,272 Officer
    Not sure about snapper - but it's my understanding that it IS legal to keep sea bass within states lines... as long as it's within size requirements.
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    Legal sized ARS and BSB caught within 3 miles of the coast are legal to keep. Don't take any of those fish into federal waters beyond the 3 mile demarcation line though.
  • 2Grubby2Grubby Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Regarding black sea bass--this is from a recent FWC News Release

Atlantic black sea bass recreational, commercial changes approved
    News Release

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Media contact: Amanda Nalley, 850-410-4943

(Back to Commission meeting news)

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) made several changes to black sea bass management in Atlantic state waters at its Dec. 5 Commission meeting in Apalachicola. These changes will help rebuild the Atlantic black sea bass population for future generations of recreational and commercial fishers.

Changes, effective Feb. 1, 2013, include:

■Increasing the minimum size limit for commercial harvest from 10 to 11 inches total length and for recreational harvest from 12 to 13 inches total length;
    ■Changing the recreational bag limit from 15 to five fish per person;
    ■Requiring federal commercial endorsements and permits for the harvest of black sea bass using traps;
    ■Matching federal trap specifications and requirements, including requirements for trap construction, requiring traps to be set in waters north of Cape Canaveral and requiring traps to be removed from the water and brought back to shore at the conclusion of each trip.

Also, don't forget the de-hooking device.
    "Smart is when you believe only half of what you hear. Brilliant is when you know which half to believe."