Palm Harbor flats fishing

Went out yesterday on the flats south of sunset beach for a couple hours to try for big trout.Bite was really slow and only ended up with 3 trout.Got two trout that were 18 inches on the Zman jerk shadz in pearl and the biggest was a skinny 23 incher on the Zman.Had to work baits slow with alot of pro cure inshore scent.Did catch a couple weeks ago(December 16th)I caught the biggest pompano I have ever caught at 5lbs that was caught on a skitterwalk in bone.It was a good day to because I found a bucket full of live shrimp that had to be about 5 dozen in there which is the second time I have found a bucket full of shrimp.Caught another pompano on the shrimp and 5 keeper trout.Location was the sutherland bayou flats.
I do have pictures but don't know how to put pictures on here.If anyone can teach me how it would be great.Get out there and catch some fish!

Replies

• tampa bay aquasporttampa bay aquasport Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I really like the zman baits too. Decided to give them a shot a while ago and have been impressed.
    The jerk shads are great and I recently started using the 5" paddlers.

Funny you should mention the pompano bite on the skitter walk. I also caught my personal best pompano on a plug style bait. Mine was on a mirodine and was caught around the 16th as well.

Keep working on those trout. You will get your gator. They bunch up on the shallow flats this time of year.
  • PowerhousePowerhouse Posts: 321 Deckhand
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing pics.
    Joe

2002 Hurricane 196 Fundeck-2002 Yamaha 115

efb1e8b8-d16e-4a72-be83-5f5dcba5d540_zpsam1yfgmv.jpg
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,273 Officer
    At the bottom of the post you are about to submit, click on manage attachments. Then click on add files at the top right. Then click select files. Find the pic on your computer and double click on the pic. Make sure and adjust the size of the pic or it will be rejected because it exceeds the size limit. Click upload files when you have all the pics you want to include in the post. Then you can click on one or all of the pics and select Insert Inline and the pics will show up wherever your cursor is. Click Done when you are done adding pictures. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • Elk ChaserElk Chaser Posts: 173 Deckhand
    The trout are on the shallows for sure. Caught lots of em in Safety harbor 12-28-12 1n 1-3'. No real gators though.
  • PowerhousePowerhouse Posts: 321 Deckhand
    At the bottom of the post you are about to submit, click on manage attachments. Then click on add files at the top right. Then click select files. Find the pic on your computer and double click on the pic. Make sure and adjust the size of the pic or it will be rejected because it exceeds the size limit. Click upload files when you have all the pics you want to include in the post. Then you can click on one or all of the pics and select Insert Inline and the pics will show up wherever your cursor is. Click Done when you are done adding pictures. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

That's a cool function.
    Joe

2002 Hurricane 196 Fundeck-2002 Yamaha 115

efb1e8b8-d16e-4a72-be83-5f5dcba5d540_zpsam1yfgmv.jpg
  • OverSlotOverSlot Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info Bassin Assassin.