Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

OK slough hogs

oldscratcholdscratch Posts: 61 Deckhand
Went and wandered around a bit and drove around some more. Saw very little sign of anything but most of the ground was inches deep in water. Most ground that wasn't submerged was so hard it would have taken a really big animal to leave a print. In some of the softer ground I saw a few hog prints. What puzzled me though is throughout the entire day, I didn't see one section of ground that had been tilled up by pigs. I also didn't see anything in any of the muddy parts I could honestly call a wallow. So what thinks you experts? Was I just unfortunate enough to have not stumbled upon any positive hog sign? Or are there none at this place? Or are current conditions (heat etc)etc just have them behaving different from what I'm used to? I've mostly hunted central Fl in areas not as swampy and in Nov and Dec primarily.

Replies

• down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    There's a good hog population in there . But that's a tough place to hunt . It's too overgrown . Driving around is a waste of time . For hogs your best bet would be the North side .
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • Nips049Nips049 Posts: 348 Deckhand
    Been up there scouting every week for the last
    Month or so. Haven't seen a single hog and I walk for hours. Didn't see one
    During small game either. Plenty of sign though.
    As for deer? No deer there either so dont waste your time :) Can't
    wait for Saturday!
    Nips049 wrote: »
    wait for Saturday!
    FunnySmiley-1.gif?t=1312828550
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    [IMG][/img]
  • oldscratcholdscratch Posts: 61 Deckhand
    wait for Saturday!

ummm...Like I said didn't see much hog sign. And **** straight the vegetation is thick as hell.
    There's a good hog population in there . But that's a tough place to hunt . It's too overgrown . Driving around is a waste of time . For hogs your best bet would be the North side .
    It looked easier to get around at that side. I planed to give it a little more attention next time there. I was mostly getting the lay of the land last weekend. I'll do some more hiking next time. Thanks for your post.
  • BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,701 Captain
    Like everyone said, its overgrown. I seen one pig off the northern fence boundary and it was a small one that darted back across the fence. Thats it.
  • pbchunterpbchunter Posts: 233 Officer
    i hunted there two years ago and i killed a few nice hogs by the dove fields ( i think thats what they were).. very thick with mertles. catch them crossing main trails before they get into the mertles right at day break and middle of the day. dident see anything in the afternoon
    oldscratch wrote: »
    ummm...Like I said didn't see much hog sign. And **** straight the vegetation is thick as hell.

During small game when everything was dry there was a bunch of sign. That's what I meant. Right now
    Most everything on the north end is under water. Hard to tell.
    During small game when everything was dry there was a bunch of sign. That's what I meant. Right now
    Most everything on the north end is under water. Hard to tell.
    Cool, I thought you were trying to eff with me about the deer, thats the one thing I did see.
    pbchunter wrote: »
    i hunted there two years ago and i killed a few nice hogs by the dove fields ( i think thats what they were).. very thick with mertles. catch them crossing main trails before they get into the mertles right at day break and middle of the day. dident see anything in the afternoon

good info thanx, I'll check it out
    Cool, I thought you were trying to eff with me about the deer, thats the one thing I did see.

well i was messing w/ you about the deer :) wish i can help you with some hogs though. havent been lucky with them in that area.
  • swamphunterswamphunter Posts: 179 Officer
    the hogs in the slough are gone had the privilage of hunting this weekend that just passed shot a nice lil 8 point. and yes im going again this weekend to waste time theres no deer if any of u have quotas dont go hehehehe
    the hogs in the slough are gone had the privilage of hunting this weekend that just passed shot a nice lil 8 point. and yes im going again this weekend to waste time theres no deer if any of u have quotas dont go hehehehe
    Mind if I ask N or S side?
    Also now that a few of you have established you saw no hog sign, as did I, let me reiterate my OP. I know there's hogs in that area of the state, why none in the slough? Or are they just so deep in the thick vegetation no one is seeing them?
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    throw a few cur dogs in the bushes and see what jumps out of em....
  • FlCracker13FlCracker13 Posts: 118 Officer
    Also now that a few of you have established you saw no hog sign, as did I, let me reiterate my OP. I know there's hogs in that area of the state, why none in the slough? Or are they just so deep in the thick vegetation no one is seeing them?

The Slough has plenty of hogs. The Slough is very thick and because of no Buggy and ATV access allot of the good areas are hard to get to. When the acorns start dropping the Oak hammocks off Twin Mill's Grade are hard to beat. Good Luck.
  • TheSnookManTheSnookMan Posts: 430 Deckhand
    There are plenty of hogs out of there. Been hunting there since it opened.
    another reason why we should be able to run buggies...

No. They should at least let all S FL WMA have cattle. Makes a big difference with vegetation and animals
    Hopefully these mixed results just mean I have to go in deeper and work harder to see anything. If its difficult to hunt that may work to my advantage since I have a permit for the 2nd GG hunt. Maybe there will actually be something left for me to shoot.
  • AgentXAgentX Posts: 585 Officer

Ya thats all we need is another place ruined by a bunch of buggies out of control running everything over. Put your big boy pants on and do a little hiking.
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare....
    I think they should allow buggies on roads and trails only. Few trails get pretty muddy and high water.
  • FlCracker13FlCracker13 Posts: 118 Officer
    AgentX wrote: »
    Ya thats all we need is another place ruined by a bunch of buggies out of control running everything over. Put your big boy pants on and do a little hiking.

If you ask me it makes no sense why you can't run buggies and atv's out there. It of all places is a prime place to do so with how wet it gets.Then on Spirt of the wild and Dinner Island that is mostly open and dry you can run them. Buggies are great if used properly on designated trails and to retrive game and is what most of us grew up hunting on down here. It would sure open up allot of the areas you can't now get to and take pressure off the places that are easy to get. Remember just because you can hike in 3 miles does't mean you can get out with a 150 lb deer or hog.
    If i remember, ok slough when it was first open said in the WMA regulations that "all vehicles had to be registered and insured" or something along those lines. Now this is the current regulation on vehicles there "

Ok Slough

PUBLIC ACCESS AND VEHICLES:
    1.Open to public access year round.
    2.Vehicles may be operated only on named or numbered roads and named
    or numbered trails.
    3.Parked vehicles may not obstruct a road, gate or firelane.
    4.No motor vehicle shall be operated on any part of any wildlife
    management area that has been designated as closed to vehicular traffic.
    Motorcycles may only be operated on roads open to other motor vehicles.
    5. The use of airboats, all-terrain vehicles or tracked vehicles is prohibited"

This does NOT say anything for swamp buggies compared to other WMA that allow them during hunting. Ok slough only says "ATVs" which a buggy is not. definition of ATV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-terrain_vehicle

Example of another WMA

PUBLIC ACCESS AND VEHICLES:
    1.Open to public access year round.
    2. Vehicles may be operated only on named or numbered roads, except
    that during archery, muzzleloading gun and general gun seasons,
    vehicles may also be operated on named or numbered trails by
    individuals participating in the hunt.
    3.The use of airboats, all-terrain vehicles, swamp buggies, tracked
    vehicles and unlicensed and unregistered motorcycles is prohibited,
    except that swamp buggies and all-terrain vehicles may be operated
    during the archery, muzzleloading gun and general gun seasons by
    individuals participating in the hunt. All-terrain vehicles may only be
    operated on roads open for other vehicles.

So its a grey area at ok slough weather or not you can driver a buggy on a road or trail there.
    That's the problem no one ever stays on desingnated trails and roads. They see a deer and off they go. I do agree that the use of atv's and buggies would be helpful to disperse the hunters and help out getting to spots and getting game out. I'm sorry if my image of buggie use is clouded with images of them barreling over palmettoes with 4 guys unloading guns at a deer/hog with a trail of bud light cans behind them. I hunted Corbett for years and hunted off a buggie One time and that's all I've ever seen. Unfortunately for the guys that use them responsibly it has been ruined by the guys I speak of.
    Those who have hunted buggies understand,those who have only 1 time don't.

BTW, nothing like crushing palmettos!
    Those who have hunted buggies understand,those who have only 1 time don't.

BTW, nothing like crushing palmettos!

The exact reason there will never be buggies in ok slough. Have fun ruining the outdoors.
  • eddyeddy Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Ok slough needs a good burn in several places...!!!
    NRA Member :USA
    eddy wrote: »
    Ok slough needs a good burn in several places...!!!
    More like burn it all , they burned right before turkey and it already grew back faster . Cattle would keep that place nice .
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    [IMG][/img]
    Hey X, what's the diff between a roller chopper,and a swamp buggy?

Also, you ever hunt Big Cypress