Homosassa 12/27 Ice Cold Trout

A couple friends joined me to explore the barrier islands and catch a few trout. The evening was very cold and the water temp droped to 57 degrees from 62 the afternoon prior. We worked from the barrier islands up the creeks about a half mile without even a bite. I saw a few trout but they were hunkered down and just not interested in our plugs or flukes. On occasion I will take fish out of that temp but not on this day. After about 3 hours of flogging the water we ventured up the Homosassa and played with the ladyfish. They were coming on almost every cast and really came through to scratch that itch and to test out Jeremey's new Stradic CI4 and St Croix combo. In the spirit of "Keeping it Real" i have to post the bad days as well as the good. But in hindsight I couldn't call it a bad day since we did fill the cooler with grouper bait as well as had some great Laughs and spent time with a couple great guys on the water. I spoke with Doc in the morning and he said i would get blanked and as hard as it is to give Lee credit (in less than 25' of water) I am eating some humble pie! Good call lee!:cry
This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    What....you know the cold weather put them fish in a funk for Kyle not to catch a few.......
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fore-ReelFore-Reel Posts: 103 Officer
    Makes me feel a little better, knowing I am not the only one that gets " skunked" , once in a while. Going to try Homssassa next week, looks like supposed to warm up again ?!
    :USA
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,878 Captain
    You're a better man than me Kyle.. I rarely post reports unless they're biting, ha. Still, a day of catching trash fish beats sitting at home on the couch in my opinion. When it's cold I'll hit the fresh water with a bucket of minnows and catch some crappie!
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,330 Captain
    I also told Kyle that he would do OK on grouper today if he went deep. We'll see how that one works out.:crossed

Ladyfish aren't trash fish Jim. Except when you're trying to catch something else.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,664 Captain
    I also told Kyle that he would do OK on grouper today if he went deep. We'll see how that one works out.

You didn't go with him?

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • TheLastPoleBenderTheLastPoleBender Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    LOL - I should have posted this under my new tribute account: "CrankyTroutman57". It was good to see that Troutman was a mere mortal yesterday and we did have a fun time with the Ladys. Cant wait to go back there and learn how to cast my first fly rig on them. ~Jeremy
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,330 Captain
    You didn't go with him?

Nope. I have to take the maternal unit to the doc's this afternoon.

Couldn't have gone anyway. I've had a bad cold since just before Christmas that just won't go away.

Kyle went out in his brother's boat that just had the fuel system repaired and the tank cleaned on Wednesday. They do have an EPIRB.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,878 Captain

Ladyfish aren't trash fish Jim. Except when you're trying to catch something else.

This is true, every time I've caught them nothing else was biting anyway. Hell even the catfish were a welcome distraction.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice report Kyle, the low tide presented nothing for us on Thurs.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Still beats sittin in the office. Nuthin wrong with catchin ladyfish.