Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

First uploaded pic / cajun favorite

Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
Got a real nice red this weekend and made the in-laws some redfish courtboillon... not sure on the spelling but it was amazing!! Highly recomend googling this recipe..!!

Replies

• Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Kinda upside down but you get the point hopefully
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,851 Moderator
    Looks real good. I do the same thing with amberjack and cobia and it's fantastic! To make it even better incorporate some shrimp. What I do is peel them and throw heads and shells into a pot and fill maybe 1/5 the way up the height of the heads/shells. Boil / steam the living daylights out of them for maybe 10 minutes occasionally pressing them down with a mallet or something. Next strain it. Keep the liquid and reduce a little further.

Do what you want with your shimp. I like to sautee them until almost cooked, but still rare a bit. Toss them in with your trinity and fish and let them finish cooking that way. Or you can toss in raw and let them get mealy. Some folks like that, but not me. ANYWAY... before you deal wit the shrimp themselves, throw into your dish some of the stock that you made from the heads and shells. That plus some firm fish and shrimp over some rice is just plain ol' great.

If in fact you're cooking what I think you're cooking in the post, then you are cooking one of my favority seafood deals. Pretty much a poor-man's / quick gumbo. Easy, good and not quite as heavy. Good if not great eats! Thanks.

Kind of makes me want to go fishing now insteat of heading towards the woods in this freakin' heat. :-(
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Gasman1Gasman1 Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Lots of recipes on Google. Would you mind posting this one since we know it is tried & true.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,851 Moderator
    Gasman1 wrote: »
    Lots of recipes on Google. Would you mind posting this one since we know it is tried & true.

Not sue if you're wanting mine, or his. I used to ahve one, but I pretty much wing it at this point.

I make a roux and then add celery, bell pepper and onion. ONce that's browned it can be put to the side. I already descirbed how I make my shrimp stock. Once my stock is ready I'll reheat the veggies and add salt, pepper, cayane, some EVOO, a few bay leaves, maybe some celery seed, minced garlic, maybe some lemon zest, paprika if you feel like it. I get that good and hot. Then add stock to your veggies. Once it as reduced a little bit I'll throw in some seeded and diced tomatos. I also like to buy some whole canned tomatos and cut them into maybe quarters. That's basically it on the liquid.

Oh... i forgot about the fish. I usually do it first. I love using big dolphin, cobia, amberjack. Get a pot of water and boil the every living crap out of one or two bags of zatarains crab boil. You can throw some liquid crab boil in there too if you'd like. Then boil your fish. Technically you'd be better off poaching with a less firm fish, but with with the fish mentioned above you can literally boil it. Once it's cooked set the fish on some paper towels. Be carefull not to stack themon top of one another. YOu want to let them steam and come to room temperature. Let this happen hwile you do the other stuff. Then you can flake it and put the chunks in with your shrimp stock / tomoato juice / veggie stuff.

Serve over some white rice... so so tasty. Maye garnish with some dried parsley up top. I like to go heavy on the black pepper. It's good stuff and pretty easy because it's not the kind of thing you can mess up. Not enough garlic? Throw some in there! etc. I do like to get my liquid to the right viscosity and taste before adding the fish. Too much heat for too long can evenaully break the fish down. Oh, I also like it when the sauce is just a touch over-seasoned. It will mellow out once you aadd the fish and then serve over rice.

I'm hungry now.

Just wish the weather woiuld cool off as this is a great winter time dish.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Gasman1Gasman1 Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Just wish the weather woiuld cool off as this is a great winter time dish.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it is going to be pretty cool this weekend, think I will give it a try. Thanks