Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

red snapper bag limit might be reduced to 1 fish

Triggerfish will be closed in June-July. Red snapper bag limit might be reduced to one fish. Let the Gulf Council know how you feel about these proposed changes.
http://www.gulfcouncil.org/contact.php

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,806 Moderator
    I feel like I should have sold in April of 2011 when I had the chance. That's how I feel.

Oh well, it still makes for a good booze cruise machine. About all it'll be good for from here on out, though.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Yep- We put fewer hours on the 27' this year than any year in the past 10 since we powered...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • machofleamachoflea Posts: 83 Deckhand
    The constant progression of stricter recreational fishing limits is getting more ridiculous as time progresses. I used to laugh at the fact that people would exaggerate at the thought of the GOM one day becoming more or less an open aquarium...the jokes on us now. Anyone who has an alternative point of view can chime in if there is any real counterpoint to this.
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
    Time to put that outdoor grill in the rod-holder. :wink
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    As I said in another post, I am still trying to figure out how the King can tell me as a individual that I can not take my own boat out onto the ocean and catch for myself a fish for my own consumption. I'm not catching a box full or to sell them, but to feed myself and family.
    Thats why I ignore him.:wink
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,806 Moderator
    It's a sad scene. Growing up and until probably 5 or 6 years ago I actually took great pride in honoring the regulations in every way. ZERO rules were bent and I did so HAPPILY. After all, I was doing, "my part." Sounds a lot like "we're in this together" and "fair share" doesn't it? Hahaha. Anyway, there was the happily and pride stage. Then came the "I'll do it, but it is only with reluctance" stage.

These days I, uh... THINK, yeah, think... a lot like Mustang in his post above.

NOAA, Gulf Council, FWC: What a shame it is to have demanded and regulated to such an extent that a lifelong propent of "doing the right thing" leaves your ranks? Mustang is 100% correct... I am an AMERICAN, as is every other commercial fisherman or freaking NOAA scientist for that matter. Do you know what being an AMERICAN makes you and me. It makes each of us a minority of one! There, I said it. I'm a 33 year old white male and every bit as much of a minority as a female, a black person, a commerial fisherman, a TSA agent, an old person, a young person, homeland security, IRS agent, EPA agent, DEP agent, ICE agent, an Asian person, a disabled person, a veteran, a rich person, a poor person, a dumb person, a smart person... you get the point! As an American I have the God given right to pursue happiness in any way I see fit so long as it does not hurt others. That's it.

How is it that government now has rights that each of us as "minorities of one" do not have? Government is in place to execute order on our behalf. Therefore it can, or should rather, have zero authority to do anything that we have not bestowed upon it. Here in lies my biggest BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ELJF:OEIJE$:LKFJ:FLKJ I'm fighting mad right now folks! As a minority of one (myself) I'm free to do what I want so long as it doesn't harm others. IT IS NOT MY RIGHT TO PLUNDER, CHOSE WINNERS AND LOSERS, REDISTRIBUTE SCARCE RESOURCES AS I SEE FIT, and so on. Because I have no right to do that, nor do any of you, BECAUSE THIS TRUE and an inescable fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to grant government the ability to do such things.

That being said, when it does, it can only be considered one thing and sadly enough that is tyranny.

United States of America 2012 ladies and gentlemen: Individual rights are trampled over as a matter of practice and over 50% of the electorate is a compisition of ignorance, theory and people on the dole. Rather than being allowed to enjoy our individual God given rights, each of us are put into boxes (income, race, age, ethnicity, gender and so on) and pitted against each other... different GROUPS fight for who is going to GET what from a government which executes on our behalf actions that we ourselves don't have the right to do. It's jus crazy crazy crazy and I can't imagine the size of the tears that drop from the eyes of those that came before us.ies and gentlemen.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,124 Captain
    In other words, when the rules and the enforcers become so ridiculous, they no longer have the support & respect of the public. I just wonder how long it will take the politicians to respond? Since they haven't taken notice and have only given lip service so far, one can only assume they are ok with the situation.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    Just another way for control freaks to control the populace. I am all for and support game laws, after all it's a little different on land or even on a lake or river. And I can handle bag limits on saltwater fish. But to close a catch or species to recreational fishing on the open sea is pure stupidity. As I said, I'm not catching to sell or even a box full. One or two fish for myself is fine especially when I haul up a grouper that swallowed a jig. And a grouper or a snapper does not care about federal or state waters.
    And the dead snapper behind a head boat is repulsive because there are no bag limits. And I don't care, if you haul up a fish from 200 feet, you pretty much killed it. Not to mention the dolphin feeding on them.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,526 Captain
    Did you really think we want those laws observed?” said Dr. Ferris. “We want them to be broken. You’d better get it straight that it’s not a bunch of boy scouts you’re up against... We’re after power and we mean it... There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system, Mr. Reardon, that’s the game, and once you understand it, you’ll be much easier to deal with.” (’Atlas Shrugged’ 1957)

note the date gentlemen, it has been a long time coming, on a second note we as Americans and decendents of said individuals that felt compelled to revolt against the King of England did so for what reasons - anybody? Bueller?

****, what comes around goes around I guess
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,124 Captain
    Let there be no mistake. Once they get this saltwater thing handled, they will come after the freshwater, and then the hunting etc. They know they can't tackle all at one time without more backlash than they can handle, so they are attacking each one. Right now the interior states don't care what happens in salt water because it doesn't affect them, so it will be reasonable to assume that the coastal states probably won't care when they attack the freshwater or hunting. Just my humble opinion, but I'm convinced that the environmentalists are behind this, and they won't rest until all hunting & fishing is outlawed.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    Did you really think we want those laws observed?” said Dr. Ferris. “We want them to be broken. You’d better get it straight that it’s not a bunch of boy scouts you’re up against... We’re after power and we mean it... There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system, Mr. Reardon, that’s the game, and once you understand it, you’ll be much easier to deal with.” (’Atlas Shrugged’ 1957)

note the date gentlemen, it has been a long time coming, on a second note we as Americans and decendents of said individuals that felt compelled to revolt against the King of England did so for what reasons - anybody? Bueller?

****, what comes around goes around I guess

Post of the year!:USA