Flat's Boat or a Yak??

Hi Guys;

I got another question for you.

First thanks for all the come backs on my last thread I posted called “Is my boat to big”?

Most of you guys said keep my 23’ SeaCraft CC for off shore and get a second small boat for the skinny water.

So here is my question. Should I go with a small Flats boat with about a 60 HP O.B.

OR

Go with a Hobie Pro Angler Yak? Do I need more range to cover the territory of Henderson county that a flats boat will offer or a Pro Angler Yak that you can stand on which is more stealthy but limit your range?

I never fished a Yak before but your area seems to be perfect for Yak fishing.

What do you think??

30132_1383424919294_1642136145_911707_2619903_n.jpg

FellowShip

………………………….

Just for the Grins

Official 23’ SF Antique Classic SeaCraft Owner

Replies

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,662 Captain
    Personally I'd go with a 1648 or 1750 aluminum jon with a 25 HP tiller electric start. Modify the boat as you get use to how you are going to use it.

A second choice would be a boat like huntentails has. It's a tunnel mod v aluminum which he has fitted with the ability to put on a rear and\or front tower. Runs a 60 HP center console.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    You best fish from a yak before you make that descision. They're hateful. They just make vegetarians feel better about themselves. th_cuss.gif

I'm wid Willie.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I have just the boat you need, it's an Action Craft 1720 set up for shallow water fishing, 150 saltwater Johnson, jack plate, power pole, 24V trolling motor ready to go fishing and the price is right. Shoot me an E-mail and I'll send pix and all info if you are interested.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Oldfox1939Oldfox1939 Posts: 521 Officer
    I like my boat to be bigger than the fish that swim beneath it......
    magot wrote: »
    You best fish from a yak before you make that descision. They're hateful.

Regardless of what you pick, and Rod's boat is a fine alternative too (no...I haven't been in it but have seen pictures), I wouldn't consider a yak unless it was your third boat. I've fished out of them and they can be...hateful. :) And considering current and tides I'd hate to think I would be limited to the area I could cover.

Bill
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,036 Captain
    Rodney selling the Ac? I have a 15' flats boat, but still use the yak, more so in the winter, but a bay boat would be nice to have also, like was said, 3 vessels is what it takes if you want to cover it all!
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    I have a yak and it is not the prefered method of fishing it is a PIA to get it loaded unloaded and to land a fish is hairy some times, It might be because I'm 6'4'' and its a SOT thats 14'6'' but not what I would want to actually fish out of very often. In HERNANDO COUNTY I think a small skiff with a tunnel or at least a jack plate would be a great 2nd boat or the boat that Fshin Rod has would be much better suited. IMHO
  • COBRACOBRA Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Looks like a Gheenoe is what your looking for. Way more stable than a yak. You can put a small outboard up to 25hp on them. And their affordable too. You can check some of them out here.
    www.customgheenoe.com
  • FELLOW-SHIPFELLOW-SHIP Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will forget the Yak concept and look for a small Skiff or Gheenoe for the skinny water days.

FellowShip

………………………….

Just for the Grins

• troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    OK I gotta be the one to say it! NOBODY believed you were ever considering selling that sea craft that you painstakenly restored! (Nice Job BTW). A neighbor just put a sundance skiff 16' on his lift next to his 26" Key West. I really like the looks and price of that little skiff. You should consider a new 70 yam 4stroke. Those are the new tech motors and are very light even by 2 stroke standards. I couldnt sit in a yak for more than an hour and you might want to cover way more water. Now Rodney's AC is a fine boat.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,737 Captain
    Actually, you need one of these... here's mine...

1140624773.jpg
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    That "Micro-draft" is a fine machine Dockside. To erase any of the BS from this thread my A/C is not for sale, I was having a "senior moment"..... Sorry to derail your thread...
    no prob. I was kinda worried 'bout u when u said it was 4 sale. but figured u were moving up in size...
    IBEW LU 433
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    no prob. I was kinda worried 'bout u when u said it was 4 sale. but figured u were moving up in size...

Nope, I was thinking of downsizing but I came to my senses......
    Hi Dockside:

That is a interesting Rig you got there. Is that a Glass hull boat you built out yourself??

I have been thinking of the possibility of doing another custom boat myself and I’m brainstorming on which way to go.
    I tried to pick up a 17’ Dolphin Flats boat the other day that would need a full rebuild but the owner didn’t want to part with it cheep. When I do a boat a usually go with a Good old hull with a grate name manufacturer that way when I get done I and every one else would love to have it.
    Since the SeaCraft will be more that adequate for off shore stuff I just need a skinny water rig for the shore line stuff. I think I can get away with a 60-Hp boat. I like to throw a net for live bait so a live well is a must for me. Don’t need a polling platform I am not going to push anyone around the bay Been there don that. Trolling motor is my speed not a day’s, Like that mini tower you got there I been seeing those on a lot of well rigged bay boats but on this little skiff I’m think of the center of gravity just doesn’t make sense.

FellowShip

………………………….

Just for the Grins

• magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    Don’t need a polling platform I am not going to push anyone around the bay

What? What the hail does that mean, Fellow? Them platforms ain't for that. They're for having lunch on, laying down resting yer back on, re-rigging yer tackle, ...

You need one.
    You need one.

Some people use them instead of a Bimini...or a cheap umbrella. ;)

Bill
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    What? What the hail does that mean, Fellow? Them platforms ain't for that. They're for having lunch on, laying down resting yer back on, re-rigging yer tackle, ...

You need one.

:Agree Also Mags, put a nice shiney rodholder on the side bar of the platform and throw a line rigged with bait out the back for a nice drift while yer catching trout out of the front :spin
    The " Microdraft 20 " boat is made here in Crystal River by Capt. Henderson and family. See Microdraft.com .. This is an 05 model and is glass over wood. The new improved models are all composite and very nice. The tower is fun to sightsee with. Luv cruising the backwaters and looking down on the fish and bottom dwellers. Actually I am thinking of selling the * Skinny Dipper* . $6500.00 and it could be yours... Have a desire to go for a 22 PathFinder.... saw one the other day that made me think I need one.. :(
    IBEW LU 433
  • flhookerflhooker Posts: 300 Officer
    After many boats over the years, I found the 20ft. Seaark to be the boat to go with for inshore fishing. Takes bars great and floats skinny!!!
    Hi Dockside:

I went on their web sight and I must say that is the first flat bottom boat that I ever liked. Not into aluminum boats, you can’t change things around after you get them. But on a Glass Composite Boat not only can you fix them if you mess them up you can also add stuff later.
    I am not ready to buy the second boat just yet, we are waiting of the new House purchase to get a go ahead first.

FellowShip

………………………….

Just for the Grins

:Rockon, I'm with ya..
    IBEW LU 433
  • wakebordlfwakebordlf Posts: 100 Officer
    Hi Dockside:

I went on their web sight and I must say that is the first flat bottom boat that I ever liked. Not into aluminum boats, you can’t change things around after you get them. But on a Glass Composite Boat not only can you fix them if you mess them up you can also add stuff later.
    I am not ready to buy the second boat just yet, we are waiting of the new House purchase to get a go ahead first.

FellowShip

………………………….

Just for the Grins

Aluminum boats can be fixed and customized any way you want all you need is some more aluminum and a welder vs fiberglass and resin. We added a tower, storage and decks to our aluminum boat through the years.

267724_606256551932_208103872_33258279_3549722_n.jpg
    Hi Wakebordlf:

Yes that is true, some guys don’t know welding

And other guys know Glass work

http://www.classicseacraft.com/fellowship/index.html

FellowShip

………………………….

Just for the Grins

• APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    Hey Wakeboard did you get your boat back? Sorry to derail but his boat was stolen awhile back?
  • wakebordlfwakebordlf Posts: 100 Officer
    No luck finding the boat I am sure it is in pieces and parts scattered thru the state by now
  • YackedupYackedup Posts: 149 Deckhand
    I love my yak its a mantaray 14 made un the usa by nativecraft. I looked at several this one has the most comfertible seat. I have it set up just like I want it I would like to ad a stand N fish rig to it and posably a troling motor. Check out the stand N fish web site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin