Cape Coral Newbie

I moved to Cape Coral (SW section) about a month ago and am trying to learn how to fish here. For example, I haven't figured out how to catch bait yet, although a gentleman did show me how to throw a cast net. I am still working at it. I've been throwing plastics with only a little success. I've been reading these forums since we made the decision in January to move here, and I appreciate all the good advice. I did buy a nice bay boat.

I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to take me out and show me the ropes sometime. I'd be wlling to drive. I know it takes a while to figure things out, and I will keep working at it, but I'm hoping to shorten the learning curve a bit.

I am happy to accept any advice posted on here, but if you want to go out sometime, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Rob

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Not too much bait out there this time of year except for pinfish. Most people switch to shrimp this time of year.
  • HighpocketsHighpockets Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Thanks Nuclearfishin. If this wind ever dies down I will plan to grab some shrimp. A couple guys told me they have been getting some snook under the docks on the canals at night. I might give that a try too.
  • BostonIrishBostonIrish Posts: 53 Deckhand
    I'm in SW Cape Coral too..still struggling too! All my Northeast Striper gear is useless down South..luckily the wife enjoys tanning while I fish..GL
  • waterskunkwaterskunk Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Like said above bait might be hard to find this time of the year, I have been doing very well with pinfish. They are very easy to find and stay alive throughout the day. I go to the feed store on palm beach down town fort Myers and purchase "tropical fish food" you can get it by the pound there for just a couple of bucks. Mix the brown food with either water or a can of jack mackerel from Walmart and find yourself just about any grass flat. Spend a min chumming and you'll have pins all around. I fish the pins under a cork on the shallow grass flats and do very well with redfish. Also try drifting the deep flat for trout this time of the year. Just about everything in town eats them so get creative, hope this helps a little. Check out YouTube for cast net tips.
  • kellysdadkellysdad Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Hi Im new to cape coral also, always looking for new friends to fish with having some success off shore have not done any inshore fishing except for snook in the canals and at blind pass after dark although havent been there since cold snap , if you want to get together let me know , I will be in denver all of dec ,but after that im home for 3 or 4 monnths Walt 239-240-0604
  • HighpocketsHighpockets Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the good advice guys. I've begun doing a bit better out there and will continue to try the great tips posted here. I was able to catch a few pilchards around the causeway and pulled in a few trout, a small redfish and a small snook one day, but the bait were very thin there on Sunday. I will probably try to net some pinfish using the tips above.

Thanks again.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Buy a sabiki leader and use it on any spinning rod; I put tiny bits of gulp shrimp on it. That will catch pinfish pretty readily and avoids the need for a cast net. Of course a cast net works well too, but it kills my shoulder after a holding it up there for a while. I've found the sabiki technique to be effective, provided you can avoid getting the tiny hooks in your thumb.

I generally drift through any hard bottom area where they have crab traps. The bait in the traps seems to attract a ton of bait fish. You should be able to load up pretty easily
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,702 Moderator
    Wecome to our forum..All the above advice is valid and will work..Chum is a vital element for bait or inshore and offshore fishing..Tides will let you know when to sleep in or be on the water at 4am or 4pm..This is only the short list.. 770 am Saturdays is a good show to listen to they take calls,give advice, good stuff.
    Your moderator
    larrywitt