Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Spearfishing Inshore

With it being so windy offshore, I'm desperate to get some action. Was in PBI hook and line and caught last Sunday and caught nada. The water was crystal clear, which mad me curious about the legality of spearing inside.

Several places came to mind, the edge of the channel the (not the channel itself) on the south east side of Peanut Island, west side of the Blue Heron bridge, and up at the Ryobich rockpiles. Both places are 100 yards from any jetty or beach/shore and do not seem to violate any of the prohibitions list on the FWC site:
[/I]You may NOT spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging) as described below:

Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possession of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.
Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.
For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law (listed above).
In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection, Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.)
Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other anglers in the state are required to follow.
[/I]

Would appreciate any input from any LEO on this please.

Replies

• mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    I can tell you all areas around Blue heron bridge are illegal to spear at due to the swimming beach and fishing pier as well as the county park legislation. I can't see much being at the end of the channel, but it would probably be legal as well as ryobich which I am not too familiar with, but I can't see any restrictions against it. Peanut Island also is a swimming beach so I wouldn't risk it. Don't forget that in a lot of places the beach does not stop at the high tide mark like in residential areas, so it is not always 100yds from the shore that you cannot spear.
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    I used to spearfish inside palm beach inlet all the time for sheepshead, margates, and sometimes grouper and hogfish. If i remember right, you can dive the whole inside edge of the south jetty as their is no fishing, parking ect there, may have changed...you could not spearfish between the bouys in the channel, so you stay on the inside of the channel and we did ok....once again thing may have changed. I only got pulled one time out of there by FMP and it was a so called technical flag problem. So i bought a new flag. Lots of sharks and manatees as a constant friend to see and play with.
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    I used to spearfish inside palm beach inlet all the time for sheepshead, margates, and sometimes grouper and hogfish. If i remember right, you can dive the whole inside edge of the south jetty as their is no fishing, parking ect there, may have changed...you could not spearfish between the bouys in the channel, so you stay on the inside of the channel and we did ok....once again thing may have changed. I only got pulled one time out of there by FMP and it was a so called technical flag problem. So i bought a new flag. Lots of sharks and manatees as a constant friend to see and play with.

I was going to recommend that, but I think it is covered by the rule against spearing near jetties. I am not sure what the FWC definition of a jetty is though.