Dry Tortugas Trip with Capt Yuri during Thanksgivings in 2012

13»

Replies

• kilsongkilsong Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I used to jig for tuna 10 -12 hour non-stop. It is very frustrating when bait fishermen catch tuna here and there and tuna ignore jigs. But when tuna start to hit jig and make a run, you can not describe the feeling.
    Jig fishermen don't use jigs to catch more, but use them to catch game fish on jigs.
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 236 Deckhand
    Given the small number of purist jig fisherman around, the impact of jigs would probably not be an issue even on a party boat. You constantly have 20-30 guys tossing 6-10oz lead to the bottom already. As I still enjoy mutton fishing from the perspective of the tease to the tango, I would stay predominantly on bait at night when a bite is hot. We need more trips to test effectiveness of jigs on muttons but the hit ratios from the rest of the bottom mix of RG, BG flag YT, cobia, ARS and others seems to make it generally more productive when used during the early part of a stop day or night. Using jigs as a form of knocker rig is also an effective form of bait fishing. How this would pan out on a PB when more than 1 or 2 jiggers ply their sport would be fun to hear about.

Jorge has a pure jigging trip in the works for around New years, hope he will get the right conditions to do some damage.
  • Fort JeffFort Jeff Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    When I have kids, I will name the boy "fillet" and the girl "release"........ ;)

Tight Lines,

Frank
    I read all Dry Tortugas reports and they are very interesting.
    I checked Capt Yuri's booking calendar. Man, every month in 2013 are booked solidly until Oct.
    I must wait until charter masters look for fishermen or go on the Yankee Capt.:)
    If any charter master who fish in May and look for a fisherman, let me know.
    I don't keep any fish and all my catches are yours. :)
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Great report, I checked out the jigs and with the way I lose them to toothy critters 16-20 bucks a pop are a little pricey. One weekend could add 200.00 to the price of the trip just in jigs. They look great though.
    The 8 and 10 oz Flat Hammered Diamond jig cost about $8 and $10.
    I lost 3 - 4 Flat Hammered diamond jigs for the whole trip. I caught about 12 - 13 keeper groupers on the jigs on the first day. It was not a bad investment at all. :) I remember I lost about 30 jigs to kingfish and wahoo in two days when I fished Midnight Lump out of Venice, LA. Fortunately we didn't see many kingfish on this trip.
    Here is a picture of 86 lb wahoo on a 8 oz hammered diamond jig while losing lots of jigs on Midnight Lumps out of Venice, LA.

venicewahoo.jpg
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    kilsong wrote: »
    The 8 and 10 oz Flat Hammered Diamond jig cost about $8 and $10.
    I lost 3 - 4 Flat Hammered diamond jigs for the whole trip. I caught about 12 - 13 keeper groupers on the jigs on the first day. It was not a bad investment at all. :) I remember I lost about 30 jigs to kingfish and wahoo in two days when I fished Midnight Lump out of Venice, LA. Fortunately we didn't see many kingfish on this trip.
    Here is a picture of 86 lb wahoo on a 8 oz hammered diamond jig while losing lots of jigs on Midnight Lumps out of Venice, LA.

venicewahoo.jpg

Wow! Amazing, well done! I've been on the lump before, didn't catch anything like that!
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 236 Deckhand
    Kil Consider yourself lucky that most of the lost jigs were big fish going into rocks. It can be so bad that the kings eat our sinkers even when a fish is on. A trace of wire would not deter the balcks or RG. My biggest mutton was on a wire leader king fish rig on the surface.
    Kil Consider yourself lucky that most of the lost jigs were big fish going into rocks. It can be so bad that the kings eat our sinkers even when a fish is on. A trace of wire would not deter the balcks or RG. My biggest mutton was on a wire leader king fish rig on the surface.
    I saw Capt used wire to troll tuna and catch them in Fiji. I saw they use wire for wahoo even using bait in Bermuda.
    But I am still reluctant to use wire for jigging even I lose lots of jigs. :)

I experimented wire leader for bluefish. I had non-stop action with bluefish when using mono for jigs.
    I used wire leader line. I caught some on jigs using wireline. When I switched back to mono leader line, the bites resumed.
    Here is a video why you catch mutton on wire line. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=X-U7SUFbjqg
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Kilsong.....

Keep posting.:hail
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    It can be so bad that the kings eat our sinkers even when a fish is on.
    Gilbert, FWIW I started spray painting my sinkers black last year. Easy to do and cuts down on the losses to toothy critters.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 527 Officer
    kilsong wrote: »

venicewahoo.jpg

:hairraiser

Jigging ? Spinning or small lever drag? Jigging Master?
    Hey Kil, I'm a reel "fanatic" actually - look in Alan Tani's website for my tutorials under Accurates . As far as Muttons with the occasional Black grouper, star drag reels rules, a toss up between the star drag Saltiga and the new Trinidad A, all other variations of star drag reels after those two. No need for LD 2 speeds, but I tell you, I love the 500 size Accurate two speeds, specially when I hooked and landed my 90 lb. AJ on 30 mono on the Florida Fish Finder.
    BTW - sold all my Calstar grafithers and Seekers for my new Kevlar/woven Carbon Fiber sticks, brand name withheld at this time. :grin
    Hoogan wrote: »
    :hairraiser

Jigging ? Spinning or small lever drag? Jigging Master?
    Hey Kil, I'm a reel "fanatic" actually - look in Alan Tani's website for my tutorials under Accurates . As far as Muttons with the occasional Black grouper, star drag reels rules, a toss up between the star drag Saltiga and the new Trinidad A, all other variations of star drag reels after those two. No need for LD 2 speeds, but I tell you, I love the 500 size Accurate two speeds, specially when I hooked and landed my 90 lb. AJ on 30 mono on the Florida Fish Finder.
    BTW - sold all my Calstar grafithers and Seekers for my new Kevlar/woven Carbon Fiber sticks, brand name withheld at this time. :grin
    The reel in the picture was Saltiga 50.
    I don't know how many tuna I caught with Saltiga 50. Most bottom fishermen use star drag reels for good reason.
    I started to use lever drag reels after Saltiga 50 got frozen when I fought 250 lb yellowfin on a long range trip in 2005.
    JM PE reels are lever drag reels and I used them on the Dry Tortugas trip. I am pretty comfortable to use them as I used to it.
    Hoogan, I understand why you switched to lighter rods.
    I used to use 8' long rod for jigging. I experimented long jigging rod and short jigging rods. When I got a tuna with a long rod, I switched to short rod. When I had a tuna with a short rod, I switched back to a long rod.
    The problem is I don't want to go back to long rod as it is so much easy and convenient to use a short rod while jigging as well as fighting. I now start to use lighter, shorter rods even for bait fishing. I have about two dozen of custom long rods and I haven't touched them for several years.

Here is a picture I drink a bear while fighting a nice tuna. I fought 90 lb, 120 lb and 150 lb bluefin using 250g Black Hole jigging rod and JM PE 4 reels which is Avet SX size.

tunajigggingPE4.jpg

Here is another picture I landed 72.5" bluefin (230 lb range) with prototype 200g Black Hole rod in Cape Cod.
    BlackHoleCapeCodSpecial200gConventionalRodfightingscene.jpg

BlackHoleCapeCodSpecial200gConventionalRod.jpg
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 527 Officer
    Outstanding!!!. Watta a feat!

Only a decade ago those BFT would require IGFA 80 class gear! The innovation on new composite rods,Eddema line and small two speeds have made IGFA 80-130 class gear obsolete except for the true giant Bluefins and Aussie blue and black Marlins
13»