Home Angler On Foot

Ormond-by-the-Sea report, Saturday Nov 10

High tide was at 4:30PM and I was ready to cast the first rod at 3PM. This time my next door neighbor Chris decided to join me. He fishes bridges but had gotten discouraged lately. Having seen pictures from my latest catches, he decided to give surf fishing a try for the first time.
Within 15min, Chris reels in a nice size whiting and the excitement in his eyes was priceless. Then it's my turn with two consecutive black drums. Little did I know that this was Chris' favorite fish! He proceeds to reel in e good size pompano but he has no idea that this is the most prized fish from the surf. Even though I'm exited that he got a new species in his cooler, his face shows a slight disappointment that it's not a black drum! Then it's my turn with three consecutive pompanos in the 12-14" range taking three different fishbite flavors: clam, shrimp and blood worm. The next half an hour produces 7 more whitings for us. It's 6PM by now and we are getting !ready to wrap it up since it's getting dark and we can't see anymore. Right then, Chris reels in a very nice surprise, a 15" trout! Never caught one of those yet! Chris is still fixated on the black drum so I offer to him trade of my two drums for his trout and he is exited like a little kid at the candy store :).
As we are driving back home he finally confesses that he never caught so many fish in one day and he realized he will have to clean all that fish now! What a nice problem to have! He is hooked on surf fishing for life now.

Replies

• CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Nice tray of fish there !
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
    You've been killing the surf! Nice work!
  • pompanohunterpompanohunter Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Thanks Joupdog, it's about time I got some fish because I got skunked all summer long :).
    I need to learn to catch those trouts and flounders inshore like you do often.
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,667 Captain
    Great job on the fish. Went to Playalinda yesterday and caught 2 small Whiting and 5 Catfish . Surf too rough and northerly current.
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,827 Captain
    That's a great mix of fish from the surf.
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
    Thanks Joupdog, it's about time I got some fish because I got skunked all summer long :).
    I need to learn to catch those trouts and flounders inshore like you do often.

I'd like to learn the surf! Only thing I've ever caught from the surf is a couple 50 pound tarpon when they were down here thick.
  • One more castOne more cast Posts: 145 Officer
    Never caught a pompano, surf fishing is something I cant figure out lol. How much weight do You use?
    Weight depends on current,winds and line.Lighter line will use lighter weights. Usually 3oz is a good starting point. Use pryamid or sputnick sinkers.
    What he said. However, in order to minimize the amount of different sinkers, I simply just use the 6oz sputniks exclusively. They are not cheap at 4$ a piece but worth every penny. Once you cast them out there, take a seat and enjoy the view. No need to constantly re-cast to prevent the lines from tangling.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Lol, I do not fish if a 2 ounce spudnic isnt holding...
    Why fishboy? It doesn't have to be very rough out there for a 2oz sinker to be tossed around in the surf. A lot of times, the waves are not that big but there is a rip current going on and the only way to fish is to use a heavier sputnik. Besides, you don't want to fish in a very calm water anyway because pompano likes the stir up action that uncovers crabs, sand fleas and such.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    What he said. However, in order to minimize the amount of different sinkers, I simply just use the 6oz sputniks exclusively. They are not cheap at 4$ a piece but worth every penny. Once you cast them out there, take a seat and enjoy the view. No need to constantly re-cast to prevent the lines from tangling.

I've always thought about that but never actually did it. Makes perfect sense...
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    I use 4oz sputnick sinkers.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,302 Admiral
    I love surf fishing also, I fish the panhandle around SGI, Carrabelle, Appalach, it's my favorite type of fishing. I'd never heard of the Sputnik weights Ive always used triangle weights #2 or #3. I'll have to try them, they had some on Ebay for around $3.00 ea. for 6.

I love pompano fishing too.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Lol, I fish mostly inshore so my heaviest rod can cast at max 2 ounce. My dad surf fishes though and he uses the bigger spudniks and stuff. If there is a rip current I use a different technique all together. Take light jig head or a light Carolina rig with a 2/0 hook and bait it up and toss it out but keep your bail open and let the rip pull your bait out, because when the rip pulls your bait out it pulls it into a break in the sandbar which is a killer ambush point for predator fish...
  • NSBAnglerNSBAngler Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Great report. I've been out trying to find pomps in NSB but haven't found them in the places I usually do in past years. I have tried the surf from Ponce Inlet down to north CNS the last two weekends. But I remember last year, I didn't catch a lot of them until December. They are worth the effort. I laid into a bunch of huge pomps at CNS last winter - fun and delicious.

On the topic of weights, I try to stay at 100g size (close to 3oz I think) or the 2 oz sputniks. The pyramids will move too easily. I have 20lb test mono on the 12' pole and usually use a two hook rig that is 25lb test. On the 9' pole I have 15lb test. Because of that, I won't go heavier so I do not have to use a shock leader. Last weekend at CNS in the big surf, the 3oz sputnik held well. Caught a bunch of whiting that day, even caught two at once one time, but no pomps. Hope to try some over the long holiday weekend.

Is anyone else fishing for the surf in NSB? If so, are you finding the pompano? The paper reported great fishing around Daytona beaches.
    Going to try on Sunday. Winds should be less by then. With this cooler weather the Pompano should start moving in. Anyone see any sandfleas in the surf?
  • Stonecrab_23Stonecrab_23 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    *jealous* the pompano eludes me... great job i guess lol