Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bonita off of Bonita 11/18/2012

Launched the boat around 10:30 with my Dad at Coconut to no water. I saw gruntking at the ramp...hope you had a good day out there...it was blowing hard there for a while. Motored out of New Pass and caught a few Spanish on the edge of the pass. Motored out a mile or so and found a bunch of birds. I figured it would all be spanish but to me and my Dad's surprise it was all Bonita. We chased birds in the Gulf chop for 3 hours and caught 7 Bonita (one double header) and a few more Spanish. Motored on the flats around 2 and ended the day with a 22" redfish caught on a gold glitter DOA Shrimp.

All of the Bonita were caught on the new Gomame jigs by Williamson that aren't quite on the market yet. Small and green to mimic the glass minnows all of the fish were spitting up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUByTxcT15Q

It was good to get out with Dad today...very memorable day.
Florida Cracker turned Yinzer

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,746 Moderator
    Thanks for another reportll
    larrywitt
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Great Job! Two thumbs up!
  • NailerNailer Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Those are cool looking fish. Great day with dad.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,123 Officer
    very nice thanks for the report
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Fun.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 827 Officer
    That is some fun fishing Shane. Those bonita pull a bit harder than the steelhead.
    We didn't fish much but did have some good family time at low tide.
    Great day to be in SWFL.
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Fun catching there and some great Snapper bait aswell
  • mrflint179mrflint179 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Follow the birds, the bonita and mackerel have been all over the place.
    Hoes, guns lots of fun let's get some huntin done!!!:d
  • crpheadcrphead Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    is gruntking fishbuster dave? I have never seen any captain catch such awful fish 20 miles out.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Speaking of bonita.... had a buddy come down from Tampa for a charter over Thanksgiving. They caught bonita and their captain told them to take it home and eat it like sushi. Nasty. He also took them offshore last week when the winds and seas were brutal, he was puking the whole time. Last but not least he put them on a bunch of kings and fed them to the pregnant wife and little kids. Really a wide range of quality out there in the charter world. Scary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    Speaking of bonita.... had a buddy come down from Tampa for a charter over Thanksgiving. They caught bonita and their captain told them to take it home and eat it like sushi. Nasty. He also took them offshore last week when the winds and seas were brutal, he was puking the whole time. Last but not least he put them on a bunch of kings and fed them to the pregnant wife and little kids. Really a wide range of quality out there in the charter world. Scary.

ALSOME CHARTER! All the best cAPTIANS drink more than their guests.
    Tripleclean, I was out the day before and it was absolutely brutal out there. Got pounded on the way back home. When I got home and checked the forecast it had changed to SMALL CRAFT EXERCISE CAUTION (said 2 foot seas before I left). I talked to the guy and warned him not to go out but the charter captain kind of talked them into it. I am sure it was rough because he said they drove to their spot for an hour but could still see land when they were fishing... so I assume they were roughly 10 miles out. The client was ralphing the whole time. Then the captain told them that bonita was "just like tuna" and they should take it home and eat it like sushi. The whole thing is just not right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    crphead wrote: »
    is gruntking fishbuster dave? I have never seen any captain catch such awful fish 20 miles out.

Ouch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain_TimCaptain_Tim Posts: 55 Deckhand
    ALSOME CHARTER! All the best cAPTIANS drink more than their guests.

This is really how it is

"All the drunk captains tell people how good they are while the sober ones are out catching all the fish"
    Knowing is better than guessing but luck always helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WWW.FLYINGFISHFLEET.COM
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    crphead wrote: »

You have to admit though, there probably isnt any Captain who can keep a log as detailed as FBD. I lose count after a half a dozen misc. bottom fish, and this guy has it down to the exact number of fish, species, exact size to an 1/8 of an inch, and who caught what, how many were released, etc.

His charters would not suit me or most anglers a tier above the "Novice" level, but there are many "Out of towners" who by choice and/or skill leverl, would rather catch an assorftment of 30-50 smallish fish on shrimp then wreck hop for Cobia and Permit and/or grind the numbers for a limit of Grouper and Net-size Snapper. There is that "Niche" and he seems to be filling it nicely.

Now, if I were a customer and I told him I am avid and want to fish deepr with sights on nothing but Big Grouper and Snapper, and he shows up with 300 live shrimp a box of dines and/or squid and tried to pitch me a trip , i'd tell hiim to refund my card and go **** off.