Crystal River 11/25

First post so bare with me. Me, my fishing buddy and my dad went out to crystal river this weekend aware that we had a cold front Saturday night but was hoping to still get a few trout to explode on a zara spook early Sunday nothin beats that. Headed towards mangrove point saw a few posts in the last month or so catching a lot out that way and south so that's where we went. Started off with a 18" trout within the first couple casts then lost another bout 16 right at the boat. had a couple more hit the top water but it really wasn't enough to keep me into after a couple hours I kept with it hoping for something and finally one of the biggest crashes I've ever seen nailed my lure but missed it, threw a twitch bait back an nothin. Bout 10 minutes later same thing happens...but this time I'm hooked up, I was using a very light weight 7' pole with 12 pound test and it was running I could only think it was a snook it hit right at the point of a mangrove and I got it to the boat and it turned out to be a 26" red. After that we headed out to a rock in about 8ft to hope for sheephead or seabass. Ended up getting 8 keeper sea bass and 3 short grouper and the 40 short sea bass or whatever it was to get to the bigger ones. Fished the canal going to the days inn boat launch for large mouth caught about 6 around 12" and called it a day. Bad day for trout but ended up a decent all around day in Crystal River.

Replies

• Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,038 Officer
    Sounds like you did well under the weather condiitons. Gotta love topwater explosions - they're the best.

Welcome aboard. One of the tech-savvy lurkers will help you refine your post to smooth it out.

Nice job.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Great first post. Welcome to the forum. Gotta love those multi spotted reds, especially when they whack a topwater.
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 621 Officer
    I was amazed how many spots that red had it had 11 spots total I believe. We had a good time on topwater the last couple trips to ozcello but when that cold front hits I give up on trout when everyone else seems to have better luck should I move to deeper water and jig slowly an use suspending baits? What's the trick to find them with these cold fronts I tend to not have much luck this time of year.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,308 Admiral
    I was amazed how many spots that red had it had 11 spots total I believe. We had a good time on topwater the last couple trips to OZELLO but when that cold front hits I give up on trout when everyone else seems to have better luck should I move to deeper water and jig slowly an use suspending baits? What's the trick to find them with these cold fronts I tend to not have much luck this time of year.
    FIFY
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice going duder and welcome aboard :Rockon
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Welcome aboard , looks like a sort of CR slam , bass and all.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Welcome. Great post and a fine catch under the chilly conditions. Even if you did find a bunch of good trout they just didn't fight for us that day as they were real lethargic.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Great first post and welcome aboard.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    Welcome aboard, love them sea bass, very tastey table fare
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,773 Captain
    Good job on them fine eatin feesh! Welcome abord, great first post! One note> a snook will come up and splash or jump 9 times outa 10 so if it stays down, it usually ain't a snook!!! Fine red tho!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 621 Officer
    Good job on them fine eatin feesh! Welcome abord, great first post! One note> a snook will come up and splash or jump 9 times outa 10 so if it stays down, it usually ain't a snook!!! Fine red tho!!!

Yea I expected to see it come to the surface but it only made big swirls, the couple big snook I've caught didnt do much on the surface either but I figured it was a nice red pretty quickly. I barely ever catch snook anymore
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain
    looks bumpy, but you guys came home with some goods!