Pinfish in the winter??

Before going offshore yesterday for grouper I spent about 2 hours looking for live bait on some grass beds from Bay Port to Chas and came up with only about a dozen :banghead I looke in water from 6' to about 10'.
Question : Where and how deep are they during the winter? :shrug

Thanks

Fellowship

Replies

• TheLastPoleBenderTheLastPoleBender Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I've seen a good amount of bait in the 1-2 ft flats around the barrier islands over the past two weeks
  • FELLOW-SHIPFELLOW-SHIP Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Here are a few pictures of some of our catch.

Thanks last pole bender.

Fellowship
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    We saw a bunch in about 1-2' near some oyster bars this weekend.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Nice gags! The pinfish are in tight to the rocks lately but if you hit a rock pile in about 8=12 feet you should catch plenty of spottail pinfish.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    :thumbsup

Very nice endangered fish....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • FELLOW-SHIPFELLOW-SHIP Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Thanks Guys for the Pinfish reports.

Ha Redbones ya we landed and releases about 7 that size and bigger. Also landed and let go a bunch of short reds. I traveled about 90 miles with nothing that hit the cutting board. :banghead

FellowShip. :cool:
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,545 Captain
    I did the same thing last trip, but took home a mess of grunts.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    You really don't need to bother with live bait for grouper in the fall and winter. There is less for them to eat on the reef now so you have to tempt them with a struggling baitfish.

Cut bait is best this time of year. Chunks of mullet, ladyfish, jacks, or even fresh grunt will get them going better than live pinfish. Frozen sardines or threadfins will also work fine, but the grunts will be all over them.