11-27-12 SLI Solo Short 'Scape

After reading Always Forward's report, I was inspired to do a solo run. It was 2:30pm and working from home was stressful, so I got wifeys buy in that a couple hours of me time would really help my mental well-being and that I would skip going this weekend (little does she know what the forecast is :D). My goal was to get out and enjoy a little bit of paradise before the big blow. I haven't taken my boat for a spin in 7wks!!

Dropped boat in water at 3pm and needed to be back in my driveway by 6 to get dinner ready, etc. Since I was limited on time, lines in at 3:20 and turned my nose up at the color change in 30ft. Trolled from 45-60ft heading towards PBH (knew I was never going to make it there in time). Seas were 3-4 at 5-6sec apart.

color change in 30ft

Lines in at 45ft, right around 50ft, I get my first hit and it's a small bonita. Hit a surface squid pup in pink. I tried trolling him for a minute but it was a bad combo trying to live troll a bonita with 3 other lines out + no auto pilot so put the squid pup back out and it gets hit again by another small bonita.

Started seeing scattered weeds. No fliers. PBH was 7mi SE of where I was, but a couple hundred yards away NE I see white birds circling just above the surface, the type of circling that you want to hurry and get over to. As I approach, I spot a small patch about the size of Shaquille Oneill's shoebox and look and just barely make out a flash of green/yellow. Drop the boat in neutral and haul butt to my xrap walk, launch it as far as I can in the direction of the flash... as it hits the water, I reel with everything I've got + a couple of pops, trying to imitate a fleeing baitfish. 2 seconds later, this fin comes up to grab it. No jumps, but it did spit out a small ballyhoo when it flopped around on my boat.

topwater lure that caught the fin

ballyhoo the fin spit up

It was 4:45 by now and I got a bonus (caught a keeper!) on the solo 16mi roundtrip, so run in to the car wash, rinse the motor in my driveway, and walk through my door at 6:05!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public

Replies

• e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    winning!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Long.... Awesome post, I love those last minute, get out, and solo fish trips.... I'm hoping for one myself in the AM...... That phin swam quite a distance to have a ballyhoo in his system in Stuart... I read a while back that it's not uncommon for a phin to swim 150-200nm in a single day... That upchuck of the ballyhoo would substantiate that I suspect...

Hope dinner was great...

Dave
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • bababouybababouy Posts: 558 Officer
    its good to see that you have your priorities in order
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Night Hawk Monitoring
  • Get SumGet Sum Posts: 360 Officer
    Good job Long. Nice report! got some good eats to boot.
  • BearmaticBearmatic Posts: 576 Officer
    Like the report and you got dinner. What more can you ask. Me time and a nice catch YEAH!!
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    Awesome job Long on finding the green... Congrats :applause
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • PairadoxPairadox Posts: 323 Officer
    Well done!! Everyone's happy and dinner is on the table! :)
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Thanks guys, dinner was great. Had just enough to feed my wife, daughter, parents and brother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    nice job! always good to get out there and catch fish while relaxing
  • FlatwaterFlatwater Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Nice report, I like solo fishing as well, gets the head clear!
    Congrats.
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 506 Officer
    Good job on catching the fin and your solo trip.We were out there all day and only managed 3 bonito's
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,994 Captain
    Now that is a very very nice run! Kudos to you to get out and get something to bring home and back in time as well!
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    You were 5 minutes late.
    :nono

Haha. Im sure the nice fin made everything better.

Great report bro!
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • greg4mtgsgreg4mtgs Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Go Mongo beat me too it. Did you catch any grief for being late??? Nice work/play on the water.
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Awesome job Long... WTG

Sent from my Droid
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    Nice catch, with the seas the way they are, I don't see myself getting out anytime soon on the open blue.
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Nice job on the solo trip!
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    awesome way to catch the dorado. congrats and great pics....
    2392.jpg
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Thanks everyone.

No grief, 6pm was a time I set for myself to help with dinner, etc. Gotta know how to "sell" your cravings. Plus, me coming home with a fish meant she didn't have to cook... So domesticated, but whatever it takes to get out... :fishing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]