back country tarpon fishing

Good afternoon gentlemen,

Newbie here that is in need of some local help. I live near davie out west. I'm in my early 30's who have been fishing w my father in the northeast ever since I coulremember. My father is getting up there in age and his one thing he wants to do is catch some back counn. He has yet to hook one in the ocean or but his real top choice would be back country. I wish we had the money to hire a charter but unfortunately we don't. I waswas hoping someone could like directly email about some places or strategies to go about finding them. I'm sure this is a big no no to give out your secrets or anything. I just don't have any clue where to even start to locate these fish. He's coming from the NE in a week and was really hoping to show him a spot or 2 we could try and get him hooked up.

I have a small Jon boat and canoe. I'm sure we could cruise the new river/ canals if u think that would be a better shot . As u can tell I have no idea where to begin. I have caught tons of shook reddish flounder striped bass but never that tarpon so my knowledge is limited.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• volcom316613volcom316613 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Wow I just read my post and almost couldn't make it through the entire post. Almost unreadable. I tried writing the post from my cell phone. Huge mistake. Hopefully everybody that read the post got what I was trying to convey.
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    You should see HA post. With him, he reads his posts and thinks everything is fine.
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,217 Officer
    If your in Davie, you can catch freshie poons just about any where.

Try Nob Hill Canal or Pine Island as a start.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    By any chance is your canoe yellow?:Bike :Spittingcoffee
  • UrbanAnglerMiamiUrbanAnglerMiami Posts: 448 Officer
    You should see HA post. With him, he reads his posts and thinks everything is fine.

lol
    "Exploring the Sublime of the Angling Worlds." HT
  • UrbanAnglerMiamiUrbanAnglerMiami Posts: 448 Officer
    The post is a bit rough but understandable. I'm getting ready for the Miami Sport Fishing Club tonight, Dean Panos speaks about sailfish but I will try to steer you in the right direction tomorrow. I'm in Miami but hit up a lot of South Florida, targeting a variety of species. I totally understand what it is to be able to take out your father, especially like mine, 72 yrs young & still rippin' lips. Shoot me an email if I forget: [email protected]
    "Exploring the Sublime of the Angling Worlds." HT
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral

I may be a jerk, but I am a master at the English language, as well as the international language of LOVE.

And don't laugh Muttonman Jr.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    I am going to quote you . . . .Man trolling?
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    I am going to quote you . . . .Man trolling?

yes. copout is a man troller, and Lucky will be the only bite.
    friedpeacocks.jpg