Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankeetown 11/24 11/25

First time Reporter, and only 2nd year fishing, so bare with me. My wife and I spent the holidays fishing at Yankeetown. We mostly stayed in the river, fishing for sheepshead, but they just didn't seem to be biting yet. We went out to the oyster bars, and got some crabs "just like the old man taught us", but I think its still a little early. Next month we shall tare'em up! We did get some trout though, I had been watching youtube videos on how to pop your cork and what not, so I tried it with a rootbeer looking D.O.A shrimp on a white jig head, and BAM!!! I pulled in a Trout about 17" The biggest I've got so far, and the first with an artificial lure. The other few we caught on live or partially alive shrimp. At night we went catfish hunting, and we tore em up. Using mostly shrimp, some squid. We have learned that those Sail Cat's taste Great! My wife as usual pulled in something different, a Moray Ell.. I had just landed a big ol Sail cat, when she summoned me to look at what she got. I dropped my fish in the boat and walked by it to see what my wife had, and just as I looked into the mean, Evil, Green looking face of that Ell... That catfish flipped and hit me in the leg.. I screamed like a girl..
We went out to Big Bend Reef, and to the Trout stake, and to Porpoise Point, but didn't even get bites, I guess it had to do with the Cold Front. We just got a newer boat the weekend before so at least we got to take it for a shake-down cruise.
a1.jpg 82.4K
a2.jpg 77.9K
a3.jpg 55.8K

Replies