Yankeetown 11/24 11/25

First time Reporter, and only 2nd year fishing, so bare with me. My wife and I spent the holidays fishing at Yankeetown. We mostly stayed in the river, fishing for sheepshead, but they just didn't seem to be biting yet. We went out to the oyster bars, and got some crabs "just like the old man taught us", but I think its still a little early. Next month we shall tare'em up! We did get some trout though, I had been watching youtube videos on how to pop your cork and what not, so I tried it with a rootbeer looking D.O.A shrimp on a white jig head, and BAM!!! I pulled in a Trout about 17" The biggest I've got so far, and the first with an artificial lure. The other few we caught on live or partially alive shrimp. At night we went catfish hunting, and we tore em up. Using mostly shrimp, some squid. We have learned that those Sail Cat's taste Great! My wife as usual pulled in something different, a Moray Ell.. I had just landed a big ol Sail cat, when she summoned me to look at what she got. I dropped my fish in the boat and walked by it to see what my wife had, and just as I looked into the mean, Evil, Green looking face of that Ell... That catfish flipped and hit me in the leg.. I screamed like a girl..
We went out to Big Bend Reef, and to the Trout stake, and to Porpoise Point, but didn't even get bites, I guess it had to do with the Cold Front. We just got a newer boat the weekend before so at least we got to take it for a shake-down cruise.
a1.jpg 82.4K
a2.jpg 77.9K
a3.jpg 55.8K

Replies

• KahunaKahuna Posts: 171 Officer
    And, one more thing... I don't know what the freaky looking fish is in the middle pic, that's why I posted it. Any Idea's?
  • TheLastPoleBenderTheLastPoleBender Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    That's a lizard fish Big Kahuna. Moray eel, wow. Great report
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,820 Captain
    Great report and welcome aboard Kahuna! I think yer eel may be a Conger tho, not a moray but hard to tell lookin at his belly???
    I'll have a Guinness Black Lager since Yer buyin!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,892 Moderator
    Cool. Spanker is right , morays dont have peck fins.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Good call on the Eel facts, I looked em up, yall are spot on with the conger call... Thanks, and thanks for the lizard fish diagnosis, I looked that thing up too... there are some heebie jeebie fish out there.. I somehow have the luck of getting a toad fish about every other time we go out too..
    How yall knew I drank Guinness though is a mystery....
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Great first report. That fugly lizardfish makes great redfish bait by the way.
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    Great first report! I think that's the best part about salt water, you never know what you will get!!
    I think I am glad my sons sheepie stuck me in the thumb....better that than a catfish.
    Congrats on the the new boat. Great way to break it in. And I'll have a bourbon and Pepsi!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Welcome! Nice report and very nice catch the trout and sheepie.....now the lizzard and eel are cool too and you will get a few more surprises in time for sure!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Kahuna wrote: »
    How yall knew I drank Guinness though is a mystery....

Not much gets past us in here evilgrin0010.gif
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Thanks for the report and welcome aboard.....:beer
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead