Homosassa 11/25 Troutsicles

With frost on the front lawn and the second cold front in as many days the conditions couldn't be worse to fish the skinny waters of the homosassa Bay for trout. When I asked Stacey if he wanted to head out and face these tough conditions h
e respoinded "ABSOLUTELY" before I even finished the setence. We hit the bay at 10:00 am when it warmed up to a balmy 37 degrees. The plan was to work suspending plugs real slow along the edges of the cuts moving inshore into the maze of islands. Before long we were hooking trout....big trout right where we thought they should be. Stacey picked up the program quick and caught several nice trout including another fine 21 1/2" gator. Along woith the trout we took a pile of ladyfish and lizzardfish saved for bait. Despite the 58 degree water we managed tro put together a respectable coller full of quality fish. The day was a true learning experience for me since it was the coldest water i ever caught even one trout out of much less the 7 upper to overslot fish we ended up with.
Stacey is 6' 10" he makes this 21 1/2" trout look tiny!
DSC_0027-4.jpg
This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Replies

• Sub SailorSub Sailor Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Kyle,

Way to go buddy! You are giving me hope! I have been watching the temps down there every morning and yesterday it was colder in Crystal River than it was here in coastal Maine!!! Man, that is just wrong!!! Of course we only worked up to a high of 39 and you guys did beat that, but still.... What the heck is going on? If this trend keep up, I figure that by the time I get down there in January we'll need a snowmobile to get out on the ice to go ice fishing!!! I thought I was going to be leaving that kind of weather behind me!!!

Roger
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Great mess of fish.......
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    You certainly fared better than I did at Cedar Key yesterday. I couldn't manage a bite from anything back in the tidal creeks, it was a tough day. Glad you did better than I did!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Looks like you had to put the trout in the cooler just to thaw them out. :grin Great report.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Well played Kyle.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Fish in the box :hail:hail
  • Capt.JaredCapt.Jared Posts: 164 Officer
    Make sure to put some non iodized table on those baits before freezing them, it will keep them from getting so mushy.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Capt.Jared wrote: »
    Make sure to put some non iodized table on those baits before freezing them, it will keep them from getting so mushy.

Great idea.....Sea Salt and little baking soada helps a bit for firmness but I only use fresh for redfish.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber