Everglades gator trout

I just want to know how big of trout can be found in everglades, more specifically within paddling distance of the flamingo boat ramp.

Ive caught some big trout up north and would really like to know if my hopes and dreams of catching trout 25'' + can be had down here. From what little Ive seen,read and caught it doesn't seem to be to common.

Replies

• hardwayhardway Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Pretty slim to almost no--. Possible, but not probable. Miracales do happen. Never know if you don't try. Capt George the voice of experience
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Depends on your definition of a "gator." To me a gator trout is 11 lb+ since I've caught them that size. But, I spent my nights in High School watching 12-15 lbers swimming through my lantern light at Little Jim Bridge in Ft. Pierce where 2 world records, including the current record, have been caught. In South FL I've personally never seen one over 8 lbs, but I don't doubt that they're there, just not in the quantity that exist in the Indian River.
  • YakerLGYakerLG Posts: 128 Officer
    bummer, we could pull trout 22''+ most trips up north via kayak, man those were fun. Ive caught up to 26 or 27'', and up there I saw a few reports of trout to 32/33" :hairraiser
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    Looks Ft Pierce is the place.