Rub-A-Dub-Dub> One Slimy Guy out Solo in his Tub> C/R!

Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,820 Captain
Didn't deside to go till I saw the clear sky when the sun came up! Loaded the boat and took off around 8:15am. Called Capt. Louie to see if he wanted to catch the "Last minute Express"?? He said he was in the B/R all night sick and didn't think he'd make good fishing company!
Got to Ft. Island ramp about 9:00am and dumped my trusty tub into a outgoing tide and down the river I went! A little chilly ride to the Gulf where I headed South to Mullet Island. The Flock of White of pelicans roosting there were waiting for me in all their Glory! What a great day to be alive and out fishin in the B.B.!!! I dropped the trolling motor and began throwing a topwater around the shoreline and along bars heading South. A couple nice slot size trout and even more Ladyfish kept me busy but the target speces (redfish) aluded me. I saw a couple in the clear water but they were not in eating mode.
I stayed w/ the plan South around the islands thu Ozello catching blowfish, lizardfish, pinfish, seabass, small trout and of course ladyfish till the bottom of my tub started scratching the bottom in less than a foot of water but still no redfish!!! Keeping every pinfish I snagged on Mirodines & spoons and tired of catching ladyfish> They are fun but after 20~30 of them throwing snot & poop everywhere and putting a good covering of slime on my overalls. I headed West out to Gomez Rocks where I snagged more pinfish and then on to the Scallop Rack and put some of those live pinfish out to see if anything big was lurking around??? Something picked up the bait on the smaller of the two rods (15lb test w/ 40lb leader)I had out (Of Course!) and ran under the rack and around a piling (A very Snookish manover!) Never saw it as my line just went limp! I stayed for another 1/2 hr soaking pinfish and casting jigs catching 3 almost slot trout as the North wind and waves had my trusty Tub rockin & rollin. Thats enough of that so I headed North w/ my Flat bottom pounding across the growing seas!!
By the time I got back to the river it was going on about 3:00pm. The tide was coming in but there still wasn't much water so I headed up the C/R to see what was up in Kings Bay? Got out my Flyrod and Yes, the Ladyfish hoards are back up the River!! I was hooked up almost every cast on streamer flys and I got some of the biggest Lady's of the day putting on quite a show for the manatee sight seers passing by! I did see a couple tarpon rolling and casted at them but no cigar> I'd of been kinda under gunned w/ a 6 weight anyway!! I did manage to catch a largemouth about 16" to my surprise next to an island while looking for snook & reds.
After the ladyfish battles (total 50+ maybe??) I was totally beat up covered in blood, poop & snot and ready to call it a day! So Sorry Guys>No Pics or videos of any Glory fish, just a sore body and Great memories of another fishfilled day in the Big Bend!!!
I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,001 Officer
    Sounds like a good day to me!

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Its always fun to catch'em on the buggy whip. Great report Pete.

BTW, those pooners in KB are tuff to catch with all of the boat traffic around.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Good day to get out Spank and thanks for the report :applause
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,535 Captain
    Sometimes its nice to go solo.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Great to hear you were out Pete! Those ladyfish are a gas but also a mess and a bunch of work. The past 2 days have been a bit off here in Homosassa. Sounds like a little lull in the action up CR way as well. But Pete on a solo mission is good news!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,820 Captain
    ripnlips wrote: »
    Its always fun to catch'em on the buggy whip. Great report Pete.

BTW, those pooners in KB are tuff to catch with all of the boat traffic around.

Yur right about that Mario! I thought I hooked up once while leading a fly out infront of one ****!! A solid take and fast run but then out of the water came a huge Lady!! Not Da King but an excellent fight none the less!!!
  • InshoreSlamInshoreSlam Posts: 111 Officer
    hey goomba, nice post. I went out yesterday and ran into the same problems...THAT **** WIND!! Wound up finding some cover and found some nice reds hangin with the huge mullet schools..had a buddy of mine hooked up in no time!! I posted a pic in my forum area. Hey hope to see you soon. P.S. I will be bringin my rods when I come up!!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    You still were catching, it don't sound all that bad....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 874 Officer
    PONCE wrote: »
    Good day to get out Spank and thanks for the report :applause

:thumbsup
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,887 Moderator
    I'm still fighting this cold , Dr. gave me some stuff for it. I'll be ready when the dust settles.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,915 Admiral
    Mullet Key, not Mullet Island...
    You also went by Johns Island, Six Hundred Bar Pass, Pompano and Kitten Keys, and if you went south of Mullet key you likey fished around the Flood keys and **** Rock.

just saying.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    hey goomba, nice post. I went out yesterday and ran into the same problems...THAT **** WIND!! Wound up finding some cover and found some nice reds hangin with the huge mullet schools..had a buddy of mine hooked up in no time!! I posted a pic in my forum area. Hey hope to see you soon. P.S. I will be bringin my rods when I come up!!

Glad to hear Yer catching dem reds down there, guess I'm gonna have to come down there (Cape Coral) so You can show me how to catch them! Sorry we didn't make it down today, Yer Grandmom didn't want to leave her cat and we didn't want to leave her! Heard Yer goin to the Bradington Blues Fest to see Yer Uncle Johnny play>> We'll see you there!! Tight Lines God Son!!
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Mullet Key, not Mullet Island...
    You also went by Johns Island, Six Hundred Bar Pass, Pompano and Kitten Keys, and if you went south of Mullet key you likey fished around the Flood keys and **** Rock.

just saying.

Next time I'll look at my map> Thanks fer yer insight!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,915 Admiral
    Next time I'll look at my map> Thanks fer yer insight!
    Been here since 1960(off and on) just like the old names to stay current since most of them have a meaning. (at least to some).

no harm, no foul.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.