Home Conservation Front

How Catch Shares are Working in the Gulf of Mexico

"Recently, an author on the Florida Sportsman's Conservation Blog questioned whether Environmental Defense Fund is contradicting itself in supporting catch shares to solve overfishing problems in federal commercial fisheries. The answer is: “not at all.” As an organization, EDF works in partnership with industry ..."

http://blogs.edf.org/edfish/2012/11/21/how-catch-shares-are-working-in-the-gulf-of-mexico/

Replies

• DI 310DI 310 Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Look at Ms Bakers bio.I'm sure Tom Hilton is proud she attended A&M. She seems to me like most EDF types- educated well beyond their intellegence. I have not seen " Coastal businesses linked to fishing are busier and fishing-related jobs are becoming more stable"- I bet she didn't talk to anyone at Orange Beach or Dauphin Island. So is this is the kind of crap we are going to have to listen to for the next four years?
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    unfortunately yes, they can say and will say anything, its your job to refute it - much harder
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,585 Captain
    No, definitely not proud that she has used her education gained at Texas A&M to do this type of underhanded work. Notice that comments are closed - typical of propagandistic techniques that put forth a distorted version of reality with clamps on any venues to dispute that reality.

Her statement; "It is evident that tweaking seasons and bag limits won’t ever work, but innovation and collaboration are proving they can sustain the Gulf’s bounty." is not true. Bag limits and seasons HAVE proven to work - they just don't work when they are artificially shortened to push the Catch Share agenda. She also claims that coastal businesses are busier and that fishing related businesses are more stable - that is an outright LIE, as the exact opposite is true. Alabama officials have documented the benefit of the artificial reefs off of Alabama for many years, and hosted the world's largest red snapper tournament that was extremely successful as well. Not only has the red snapper tournament been decimated, but the damage to Alabama coastal communities has been DOCUMENTED to had fallen 24% in 2009 from the $630 million generated in 2006 (pre-Hijack). That's over $150 million PER YEAR, lost due the the un-necessary, un-wanted reduction in our seasons/bag limits driven by Ms. Baker's ideological dream.

If catch shares are so great, why has there been hundreds of millions of dollars spent to date in public relations marketing? Imagine the impact on our fisheries that those wasted hundred of millions would have ALREADY had. Pitiful.

If catch shares are so great, why is the American taxpayer having to subsidize the funding of the management and enforcement of the Red Snapper IFQ program? Fact is, the American taxpayer is subsidizing this program designed to generate revenue streams from harvesting our Public Trust Resource for the private profit of individuals/corporations.

Check out this video - these are people who are actually in the fishery who KNOW what they are talking about; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLK3ql1-q0I&sns=em

You will notice repeated references to the 6 month season that EDF operatives got removed - THAT is what worked, and THAT is what we should be demanding to return. Dr. Ship states a couple of times in this video that the solution is a "better" stock assessment for red snapper that gives "full credit" for fish swimming around artificial reefs and oil platforms. It seems that current stock assessments do not give credit, by not counting, the millions of fish that these artificial structures are producing. He goes on to say that IF these fish were counted, the biomass would be shown to be so much larger that we could immediately extend the season to 6 or even 8 months! EDF knows that if the 6 month season was brought back, that any supposed benefits from IFQs/Catch Shares/Days At Sea would be eliminated, as there would be absolutely no need - the charter captains would have plenty of time to fish/make a living, they would also know when the season began and ended each year so they could book trips way in advance. The private recs and coastal communities would also benefit from the 6 month season for obvious reasons.

I believe that the NMFS actually had it right in 2006 - a 194 day season with 4 fish limits. I also believe that we could get this 6 month season back (even if we stayed at the current 2 fish limits), IF we worked hard to bring it back. The way to do that? Count the fish. There are some new scientific initiatives underway to do just that - if the government refuses to do it, then we, the People, will get it done. It will be difficult for Crabtree and Co. to refute this new "best available" science, but I'm absolutely certain that he will fight any action that will show their deception regarding the red snapper biomass.

They want us to be more accountable? I think it is past time for the US Government Accounting Office (GAO) to investigate this obvious sham that EDF/NMFS is trying to perpetrate on the American People.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • DI 310DI 310 Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Just something to think about- Did Dr Shipp catch all amounts of hell from Crabtree and company when he appeared on the video and made the statements about the status of the stock and the seasons? What about the EDF connection with the council- Ms Baker was on the advisory panel, Gill I heard is now a consultant for them and I bet a hundred dollars to a dime that when and if Crabtree leaves he will go to work for them also. What do you think?
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,015 Moderator
    Gulf charter and headboat captains have proposed new ideas, ranging from a headboat cooperative, to “days at sea”, to better and faster data using new technologies. Some will prove better than others, but they’re on target looking for regulatory flexibility and access, accurate fish counting, and industry incentives for conservation.

Seems like she is also pushing for Sector Separation. In most angler's opinions that's enough reason to discredit her, except in the eyes of Crabtree
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 836 Officer
    Ironically, Dr. Shipp is in favor of a "days at sea" program.