What do I need???

SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 153 Deckhand
I have a 28' Hydra Sports for offshore and have owned a couple of Flats Boats so I am not new to salt water. I am looking at a couple of Kayak's (for me and GF) and am wondering what to look at. I know that at a little over 6' and 220lbs I need a longer boat. I assume 14' would be best. I don't want to spend a bunch as I want to make sure I like this style of fishing before I start into $2k Kayak's.

I have,
Good Rods and Reels
Plenty of flats Tackle
Hand Held Charting GPS
Hand Held VHF
Small PLB Epirb (do I really need to carry that?)
Intimate knowledge of the M/L and North IRL
F350 Crew Cab with 8' bed (I assume I need to add racks)

What Else???
Since 2004 as ReelDreams.

Replies

• jvanpeltjvanpelt Posts: 411 Deckhand
    Sounds like you've got a good start on everything that you are going to need. The only (3) things that are required by law to have on a kayak at all times are 1. A PFD 2. A noisemaking device (whistle) and 3. a visual signaling device. The rest is really up to your discretion. With a bed that size you won't need to add racks to your pickup, maybe just a bed extender that connects to your hitch receiver. Remember with a kayak space is limited so less is more when it comes to tackle so bring just the bare essentials. As for sizes and types of kayaks the only way to determine what works for you is to get out on the water and paddle a few. Most dealers have demos that you can try before making a purchase and that is the best way to find out what is going to fit. Hope that helps and welcome to the kayak fishing world.
    :USA:fishing
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    What are you looking to do more of? Offshore or inshore? Both? I love my trident 13. Super stable, handles the seas very well, plenty of room; the only thing is if you're 220lbs not sure how you'll like that rod pod between your legs the whole time. It might be tight for you. I'd check out the trident ultra line too. They're nice yaks as well. Also if you're planning to do more inshore fishing I'd check out the 2012 WS ride 135. Thing is a beast but it's designed for big guys.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Make sure you each get a good PFD that is comfortable for you to wear THE WHOLE TIME you're out on your kayaks. DO NOT leave your PFD bungeed down or in a hatch thinking you'll put it on if something happens. There is NO TIME to done a PFD when it hits the fan on a kayak so wear it at all times!!!

As far as kayaks go, try to find a local kayak shop and ask them if they have any demo days. Most shops do demo days a couple times a year, sometimes once a season. The longer the yak (ex: 15-16ft), the better speed and tracking you'll get. The shorter yaks (12ft and under) are much more maneuverable and have better acceleration but sacrifice on top end speed and tracking. Most 13-14ft kayaks offer a good balance between all of the above characteristics; speed, tracking, acceleration, and maneuverability.

What do, where do you plan to fish with these kayaks? Inshore only? Offshore only? Or some of both?

Good luck!
    Alex
  • SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 153 Deckhand
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I don't think offshore will be in the plans. I have that covered, although the 1 mpg I get might limit even that and the Kayak could start looking better and better. Mainly I plan on Inshore in the M/L and North IRL (blacks point area and around) There are lots of spots that my Hewes couldn't get to that I am looking forward to trying.

I also will be doing just excursion stuff with the GF (workout nut). She is thinking mainly upper body workout and pleasure. I am sure she understands the fishing thing as it is all comsuming for me. I figure some river runs (wekiva, crystal river,,,) are probably in order. Gotta keep the GF happy.
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Inshore ?

Kayak
    GPS

I use a bed extender fo my Tundra - Works great.

Crate W Rodholders mounted to it.

Thats it - Get to fishing and see if you want to spend more dough on comfort and accessibility ...
    Purchased a Tarpon 120 yesterday for the GF. (still looking for a 14' for me) It came with a BUNCH of stuff. Paddle, Crate with rod holders, small foldable anchor, nice seat, wheels for underneath, Fish Finder??? (not sure about that), scotty rod holders, scupper plugs and a ton of other stuff. The guy hit some hard times and was in need of $$$.

It fit in the bed of my truck pretty well but I have a rol-n-lock aluminum cover on it and don't want to have to unload all my stuff (lots of tools) every time I stick a couple of Kayak's into it. Thinking about something to go on top of the bed just above the cover (don't want those high racks) and allow the kayaks to stick out behind. I figure it would also help them by keeping them out of the wind behind the cab, I tend to drive pretty fast on the highway and not sure about kayaks up there in 85 mph winds. Anybody seen anything like that or di I have to start fabrication on my own?
  • Redfish ChuckRedfish Chuck Posts: 107 Officer
    The Native Redfish 14 is priced to sell and is a great fishing platform... check with Kayaks By Bo in Titusville!
    Yacksquatch, Having been an offshore guy most of my life I understand about the PFD's and how quick it can go wrong. I intend to wear them when crossing bays or deep water, but I will usually be in about 3' to 5' of water at the most. I figure if I can stand up I don't really need the PFD on, just accessible.

I purchased another kayak yesterday, it is a Wilderness Tarpon 140. Seems like a very nice boat and should do me well for awhile. No rod holders but I am fixing that today. I will also be looking for some sort of crate for the rear as the really nice one that came with the 120 we bought is to wide for the 140 (funny I would have thought it was the other way around). But the 140 is narrower in the back. Anybody have advice on where to source a crate?
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Good choices dude! The Tarpon's are great yaks and the 140 especially is very versatile. You'll be able to cover a lot of water with it inshore or offshore if you ever decide to give that a try. Got any pics of em yet? I've never had problems getting a crate to fit in back of any of my kayaks. Is this an older 140? But now-a-days, I don't really bother with crates anymore since I try to scale down the weight. I'd recommend getting a small zippered tackle bag to put a couple small-med sized hard tackle trays and bungee it down. I've got a couple brass clips to hold my tackle bag down. Also, mount a pair of scotty rod holders behind you to keep hold of the rods. Those 2 things and I don't need a crate anymore.

Good luck!
    Alex
  • HalonHalon Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Hi,

Welcome to the work of yakking!

I suggest having tethers, one between paddle and yak and another from yak to self. If you loose your paddle, its difficult to chase after it using your hands to move the yak. Also, in winds, it will be difficult to swim after the yak if it gets away from you, hence the tether.

To relieve the potential of getting tangled with the yak or anything else, I carry a folding knife in my PFD, of which I wear all the time when on the water, and an easily accessible 7+ sheathed knife on the seat strap next to me.

I also, put together a small first aid kit. The second time out, I bandaged a fellow yakker that sliced his hand pretty good on an oyster shell. Cleaned it up, stopped the bleeding, and bandaged it on the water!

A flashlight and a personal water proof safety strobe in case you are out longer than anticipated. A signal mirror is helpful, if needed. Even to signal your yakking buddy that got a ways away.

Plan on everything getting wet! If you don't, all the better! Dry box(es) to carry a cellular telephone, camera, or other stuff that must not get wet.

Halon
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    You need a whistle or horn on your persons. I stick one in a pocket on my PFD, but if you don't wear your PFD, you're going to have to put it around your neck. I have had FWC stop and check me for it. The rules says you just need to have one, but apparently they insist on you wearing it.
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    quatin wrote: »
    You need a whistle or horn on your persons. I stick one in a pocket on my PFD, but if you don't wear your PFD, you're going to have to put it around your neck. I have had FWC stop and check me for it. The rules says you just need to have one, but apparently they insist on you wearing it.

I tie mine on a cord to my pfd. Everytime I've been stopped by the FWC in FL they always check for a whistle, have never asked if I had a signaling device. If you're mainly fishing M/L and IRL you will definitely want to be picking up stake out poles for your yaks.
  • MaLMaL Posts: 176 Officer
    SansPeur wrote: »
    I figure it would also help them by keeping them out of the wind behind the cab, I tend to drive pretty fast on the highway and not sure about kayaks up there in 85 mph winds. Anybody seen anything like that or di I have to start fabrication on my own?

i've gone 85+ with my kayak on my lil 2door car. 2 straps for the ends and a ratcheting strap in the middle with 2 foam blocks between the yak and roof. you can see my avatar picture that the kayak is as long as my car.

As long as you use good straps and common sense you should be fine however you decide to do it.
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Don't know where you're located, but this would be a great opportunity to test some Hobie kayaks. I went from a Tarpon 140 to a Hobie Outback and I love it.

Worth checking out...
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?t=83853

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
    Thanks guys, I already have a whistle on the PFD.

Never thought about a first aid kit. Funny because I have the mother of first aid kits on my offshore boat (my X-wife was an ICU nurse and made up the kit, can you say minor surgery?) and I would never think of going out without it.

One of the kayaks came with a stake out pole and I will be getting one for my GF's boat.

I have Dry Boxes on both kayaks for phones, keys and wallets. My digital camera is water proof up to 30'. It doesn't float but I figure on putting a float on it.

Heading out Sunday to the IRL. I can't wait to see how this kind of fishing works. I always did very well in my flats boat but these things are super quiet. I keep running up on fish and turtles in the lake behind my house and they don't appear to know I am there untill I practically hit them. I hope the Redfish are just as unaware.
  • MaLMaL Posts: 176 Officer
    I've had fish bounce off my kayak, both sides and underneath.
    also had them jumping all around me but none jumped in the kayak yet. (some day hopefully, not having much luck catching them the traditional way yet.) :P
    sounds like you will probably enjoy it.
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Yacksquatch, Having been an offshore guy most of my life I understand about the PFD's and how quick it can go wrong. I intend to wear them when crossing bays or deep water, but I will usually be in about 3' to 5' of water at the most. I figure if I can stand up I don't really need the PFD on, just accessible.

I purchased another kayak yesterday, it is a Wilderness Tarpon 140. Seems like a very nice boat and should do me well for awhile. No rod holders but I am fixing that today. I will also be looking for some sort of crate for the rear as the really nice one that came with the 120 we bought is to wide for the 140 (funny I would have thought it was the other way around). But the 140 is narrower in the back. Anybody have advice on where to source a crate?

Not trying to be the PFD Police... You can do what you want, but you might be missing the point on wearing it. It's not only for the event when you fall out or your kayak sinks and you get tired of swimming. It is mainly for the time a boat hits you and knocks you out. Now you can't stand even in 3 feet of water. It's the only thing that will keep your head above water. Again, you can do what you want, but I figured I'd throw that out there since your new to kayaking. Several of us have had encounters with boats. Tight lines and enjoy your new yak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    Thanks guys, I already have a whistle on the PFD.

That only works if you're wearing the PFD at all times. You are required to have a PFD on the boat, but the whistle must be on your body. FWC was pretty insistent about that.

BTW, those auto-inflate PFDs are a good compromise between comfort and usability.
  • PBG-JohnPBG-John Posts: 419 Deckhand
    FMP requires a PFD to be onboard as well as a signaling device (whistle). Not on your person, but onboard.

Halon, I applaud you for wearing your PFD each and every time you venture out. I always have mine onboard, but only wear it when I'm going offshore therefore I'd never tether myself to my yak, ever. Too each his own.
    The latest survey shows that
    three out of four people make
    up 75% of the population