Two major storms on the last days before two of the most controversial fish closures

We were blown out at the end of red snapper season. Luckily they extended it and I was able to get out there and crush them one more time. I however do not think they are going to be as nice with the closing of gags this week coming up. I am not going out in 5-8's...... thats for **** sure. Think someone is trying to send a message that these short seasons are B.S!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• gruntkinggruntking Posts: 799 Officer
    Were you at the Gulf council meeting last week in Naples?
    Are you a member of FRA?
    We all need to get involved.
  • remyremy Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Gag grouper season should be extended!
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Just take your fry daddy on the boat with you and go after the storm.
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Grunt king were you questioning me? Last time I checked you don't have to pay for your right to speak at one of these meetings. Nor to stand up for what you believe the proposed closures or openers are. That's why they are public and I am sure our tax dollars already pay for most of it anyways. So no I am not a member of your FRA and if that makes you think your better than anyone who is not, so be it. Now as for your question about the meeting... I go to as many as I can when they are closer to tampa. Next time they have one up near me I guess I will see you there. Then you can explain to me why one must pay to join a "CLUB" that has a name better suited for super hero than the average rec angler who is trying to persuade the gulf council. Your only question to me should have been "Do you go to meetings?" The others are pointless.
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Perlman, I think grunting was just posting what he thinks are good ways to help change the closures. I don't think it was a personal attack.
    Grunt king were you questioning me? Last time I checked you don't have to pay for your right to speak at one of these meetings. Nor to stand up for what you believe the proposed closures or openers are. That's why they are public and I am sure our tax dollars already pay for most of it anyways. So no I am not a member of your FRA and if that makes you think your better than anyone who is not, so be it. Now as for your question about the meeting... I go to as many as I can when they are closer to tampa. Next time they have one up near me I guess I will see you there. Then you can explain to me why one must pay to join a "CLUB" that has a name better suited for super hero than the average rec angler who is trying to persuade the gulf council. Your only question to me should have been "Do you go to meetings?" The others are pointless.

Wow, lol. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
    You might be right LGI, sorry this forum has me on edge sometimes. If it wasn't than I apologize grunt king.... Still do not like the FRA thing though, that has very little significance to what we are trying to accomplish IMO. Guess that really what got me going. Again sorry if I took it the wrong way and you were speaking to everyone with those questions.
    You might be right LGI, sorry this forum has me on edge sometimes. If it wasn't than I apologize grunt king.... Still do not like the FRA thing though, that has very little significance to what we are trying to accomplish IMO. Guess that really what got me going. Again sorry if I took it the wrong way and you were speaking to everyone with those questions.

Man, I don't know where you get this stuff? Did you send a comment to the gulf council on the latest rule proposals? I'd be interested to hear what you are doing that is so effectual as compared to the FRA.
    Sorry I do not agree with paying to be a part of your movement when I can do the same thing for free. I already told you I do my part and that's all that I need to say. Grouper is what I primarily fish for so I of course fight for what I think is fair. I am happy to hear that you are doing your part.... but neither your club or me can do much. Showing up as much as we can is the only and best way to try and get things straightened out. Letters are just thrown away like most of the stuff said by the average rec fisherman at the council meetings. So again paying to be a member of the FRA is pointless IMO. Key note this is my opinion, if you don't like it I understand. I don't think you should be acting like what you do is so much better than the average rec angler. If we are all in this together don't act like your so different just because they took your money to do exactly what I am doing for free.

Do I attend as many meetings as I can in tampa and st. pete?...... Yes
    Am I vocal with every tourist, local, business, person who asks me about grouper fishing?...... Hell Yes
    Do I think sending letters to any government or fed organization is pointless?...... Yes
    Do I think paying for a membership is better than doing what I can for free?..... NO
  • ... as for your question about the meeting... I go to as many as I can when they are closer to tampa. Next time they have one up near me I guess I will see you there. Then you can explain to me why one must pay to join a "CLUB" that has a name better suited for super hero than the average rec angler who is trying to persuade the gulf council. Your only question to me should have been "Do you go to meetings?" The others are pointless.

There was a meeting last week in St. Pete. http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?80789-Who-is-going-to-the-grouper-hearing-tonight

If you don't go or join an recreational fishing organization like FRA to advocate for you when you can't attend , you really have no "right" to **** and moan about it as if you did make an attempt to effect a change as Jeff does in sacrificing his time to you understand the issues and travel to the hearings to make himself heard.

No excuses, man. Do it.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Hahaha Gary how did i know that you would jump in on this.... Lawyers... Lawyers... Lawyers... Promise you that the next one near me you can both discuss your points with me, face to face. After, we can grab some beers on me.
  • Hahaha Gary how did i know that you would jump in on this.... Lawyers... Lawyers... Lawyers... Promise you that the next one near me you can both discuss your points with me, face to face. After, we can grab some beers on me.

Stick with me and I will help you become the effective adversary to restrictive fisheries regulations you need to be. First beer is on me.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • GanchoGancho Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    We w............. Luckily they extended it and I was able to get out there and crush them one more time.

Just keep on "crushing them" and then wonder why "they" impose short seasons and closures?
    You are only allowed two a person? It is not like mangos where you can keep ten. By crushing them and limiting out on my boat it is only 6 snapper! Due to the little time frame that we have to catch them I only got to really go after them maybe 4 - 5 times. That is a total of 24 - 30 snapper. If 30 snapper a year is too much on the snapper population I am sorry. Smaller boat= less people= less amount of fish to fill a boat limit. I catch tons of them in and out of season both as by catch and target. I have spent time weeding through 18-20 inch fish for bigger ones. I know they are plentiful.... Do you?
  • chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 530 Officer
    The way regulators work is, "if you are catching plenty of fish, you are killing too many, we need more restrictions!" OR " If you are not catching many fish, they must be endangered, we need more restrictions!" Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The same BS in the mid-atlantic area with black seabass, tautog, porgies, etc. :(